“Very rustic but in pretty surroundings.” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Thoroughbred Bed and Breakfast

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Olney
Thoroughbred Bed and Breakfast
You added Thoroughbred Bed and Breakfast to your Saves list
16410 Batchellors Forest Rd, Olney, MD 20832   |
Ranked #1 of 1 Olney B&B and Inns
Carlsbad, CA
“Very rustic but in pretty surroundings.”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2012

Horses come right up to the side yard of this little 4 bedroom guest cottage.
You are in the middle of a huge horse farm. If you like that, and don't
care about a modern or large room, this is a rare find.

A little off the beaten track, but really just 5 minutes from main thoroughfare(Georgia Avenue), and the little town of Olney, with tons of stores, is just ten minute drive. Great, (mostly)safe part of Montgomery County.
Problem with the rooms are they are pretty tiny, not modern in terms of much of anything, and dusty. Double bed, basically. Old bed linens. Bathroom in each room is very, very basic. No closet or storage space.
Big spiders(my wife was freaked out all night).
Rooms are about 150 sq.ft.
No working tv(pre-digital, so pretty much snow), no internet, nothing that you would expect in this day and age.
We found the food stuffs provided in the shared kitchen to be mostly past-expiration date quality -- some dangerously so.
I think the owner needs to pay someone to come and clean and handle
the details(it seems like she does it herself, and she is well over 75 y.o.)

All in all, kind of like 1960s style standards, so if you're not wanting that, you should look elsewhere.

I found the Best Western Executive down in south Rockville (Rt 28 and 270 area) to be a great place to locate if you are visiting in the area. We got a two room suite there, with great ammentites, for about the same as this place. It's where I will go on all future trips.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
8 Thank zebraspot

4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2012

We stayed here 6 years ago in April and found it to be very enjoyable.The owner was pleasant and the surroundings wonderful. Since she used to raise horses there are beautiful views of lush green fields, very relaxing. We are going back this year and my conversations with her have been congenial (we both have cats). The rooms (4) are in a separate bungalow from the house. There is a central sitting room/kitchen stocked with breakfast foods so we could eat when we liked rather than have a scheduled time. I would recommend Thoroughbred B&B to anyone who likes quiet country. There is no shopping within walking distance.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
2 Thank HOLLY M
Olney, Maryland
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2011

Last Friday (May 6th), I left a voicemail with this B&B to find out about reserving a room for the evening, not having any previous experience with bed & breakfasts and searching for an accessible but romantic location. Almost a week later, I received a responding message from the owner which I saved in my mailbox due to its rude tone of voice. Upon calling this older woman back, who would not give her name, to inquire as to why she'd leave such a rude-sounding message for a potential customer, she informed me bluntly that she found my recorded greeting to be "ridiculous and foolish," and said that "I don't believe I want to meet you." Then she hung up on me. In the several times I attempted to call back and get through to her, to get her name as the business owner, she either hung up on me or cackled loudly in my ear before hanging up on me. One time I called her back, she even answered the phone by saying, "Boy, you're really stupid, aren't you?" If this is how she treats a total stranger and prospective customer, someone she hasn't even seen in person and has no direct experience with, then I'd hardly find this a suitable location to stay at even if I was desperate . I would advise anyone reading this to GO SOMEWHERE ELSE.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
24 Thank RapturousLady

Travelers are raving about these Olney hotels

Also consider these accommodations in or near Olney
Cambria hotel & suites Rockville
#3 of 16 in Rockville
4.5 of 5 stars 179 reviews
Hilton Garden Inn Silver Spring North
Homewood Suites by Hilton Washington, DC North/Gaithersburg

Been to Thoroughbred Bed and Breakfast? Share your experiences!