“Some Improvement Over Last Year” 4 of 5 stars

Paradise Plaza Inn
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   #3 9th Street, Ocean City, MD 21842   |
Ranked #14 of 108 Hotels in Ocean City
Hagerstown MD
“Some Improvement Over Last Year”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2014

True to my 2013 review, when we returned to Ocean City this year, we returned to Paradise Plaza Inn. And glad we did. To repeat my praise from my previous review, the location is great. This year we opted for an ocean front jacuzzi room and were quite pleased. As promised, the old bulky TV had been replaced by a nice LG flat screen. Also, the dirty carpet had been replaced by a tile floor, a very nice touch. No traces of smoke anywhere. Parking in the main lot is limited and tight, but the overflow lot is half a block away with plenty of space. In fact, we opted to park there all the time, even if the main lot had room.

Biggest complaint - the internet service. Yes it's free, but it is HORRIBLE. Plain and simple. This is one area they did not improve over last year, but they really need to fix this. Nearly impossible to pull anything up - weather, restaurant reviews, attraction schedules - nothing.

Other than that, just some little annoyances. First day, housekeeping came into the room without knocking. Said they were checking to see if there were 2 robes in the room. We told them there was only 1 and they said they would bring another one back. We asked them to bring some toothpaste and they said they would, but they never returned with either the 2nd robe or the toothpaste. Also, the jacuzzi tub was VERY slippery - getting in, getting out, even just moving around to shower. Need to put something in those tubs to protect people.

All in all it was a good stay. While we may not necessarily go back again next year (especially if they don't upgrade the internet service), this hotel will certainly stay near the top of our list.

Room Tip: Ocean front, without a doubt.
Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
Tim G, General Manager at Paradise Plaza Inn, responded to this review, August 30, 2014
I am glad that overall you liked the hotel. I am sorry about those issues that were overlooked. THANK YOU for making the comment about our parking! I hear constant complaints about how terrible it is. I am so pleased that you said it was a half block away (which it is) and there are ample spaces. I am just as frustrated as you were with the Wi-Fi service. I am copying my response from the previous guest review. In this day and age with the rapidly changing technology and families using multiple devices (Family of four; four phones, kids with electronics, iPad, iPhone, laptop, etc.), it overloads the system. More and more people are using devices to download, stream movies, etc. and those guests that just want a phone connection can’t get one (at least thru Wi-Fi). We have full intentions of having a new system in place by next season. We are strongly looking at a system that provides free Wi-Fi to those guests that want to make a simple phone call or look up a number or address. The other guests that want to stream movies, download, login to Webinars, etc. and need the larger bandwidth and speed, they will be accessed a daily Internet fee. I am disappointed to hear you say that “all in all it was a good stay” but you wouldn’t come back because of the Internet service. I do hope you will at least check back with us next year to see if we made Wi-Fi upgrades.

Tim Goff

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (192)
Hagerstown, Maryland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2014

My family stayed at the Paradise Plaza Inn for 2 nights/3 days. We were on the 3rd floor (the best in my opinion). The beds were comfortable, the bath & body works toiletries were nice, and the room was big, and clean. The free bottled water was a nice touch also. The view of the boardwalk, and beach could not be beat. However, the wi-fi was HORRIBLE, my kids couldn't connect to their electronics that required reception, and I could only use my cell phone when on the balcony in a certain position. The parking is also a huge problem. The entire time we stayed there, we couldn't park in front of our hotel, because all the spots were taken. Beach goers, and people visiting the Taphouse Bar & Grille that's located in the hotel took up all the parking spaces. We had to park across the street in an "overflow" parking lot near the candy kitchen. Paradise Plaza Inn does not enforce the "park by parking pass only" rules. We paid good money to stay there, and others who didn't stay there got to park in the spaces that were suppose to be for hotel customers only. I told the manager, and they appologized. Nothing they could do other than say they try to enforce the parking rule with security. Half to 3/4 of the cars in the lot didn't have a parking pass. Sadly, we won't be back because of the poor wi-fi reception, and the parking.

• Stayed August 2014
You hit the nail on the head! “The kids couldn’t connect to their electronics”. That is exactly what our situation is here. In this day and age with the rapidly changing technology and families using multiple devices (Family of four; four phones, kids with electronics, iPad, iPhone, laptop, etc.), it overloads the system. More and more people are using devices to download, stream movies, etc. and those guests that just want a phone connection can’t get one (at least thru Wi-Fi). We have full intentions of having a new system in place by next season. We are strongly looking at a system that provides free Wi-Fi to those guests that want to make a simple phone call or look up a number or address. The other guests that want to stream movies, download, login to Webinars, etc. and need the larger bandwidth and speed, they will be accessed a daily Internet fee. This will become the norm. Regarding the parking, I have repeated myself in response many times. There is enough parking for all of our guests. I am amazed that people constantly complain about walking across the street, yes, across one street to our secondary lot! All I can say is when you return to Ocean City and book another hotel ask about their parking. Ours is far more convenient than most and it IS free!

Central PA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2014

Our family of five (two adults, two young kids, one grandma) stayed in one of the Dolphin Suites. The suite was spacious with a large family-room area that had a queen bed to the side of the room, kitchenette, separate room with two queen beds and a large bath with a Jacuzzi tub. Each room had a balcony and one of the rooms had an accessible rooftop terrace with a partial ocean view (this is just for the views and doesn't have seating and is merely functional as opposed to pretty). The rooms were clean and cleaned well daily, the staff was friendly, and quick to address concerns. The beds were super comfortable. The location was perfect -- steps to the beach and boardwalk. The pool was easy to get to, clean, had a bathroom, and offered towels. We had a great stay and never felt on top of each other. I would stay again in an instant!

I didn't give it five stars because the room did have some wear-and-tear issues... banged up doors, a missing exhaust fan in the larger bath, cracked caulking around the tub, etc. BUT it was clean, spacious, and comfortable, the staff was friendly, and the location great. With the kitchenette, a toaster and a burner or hot plate would have been nice, but we managed just fine without. We were very satisfied with our stay and would love to return in the future.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
Thank you for staying with us this summer on your vacation. Thanks for highlighting the positive as well as the negative. Many of the “negative” comments are issues that we are aware of and have on our “winter” project list. We are so busy during the summer months it is next to impossible to catch a break to get into rooms to do minor repair work before the next guest arrives to check in. I “hear” what you are saying about wishing to have a toaster, hot plate or burner but the main reason we don’t (as well as most hotels), experience shows that you have many more “false” fire alarms due to burning food that is not being watched. Having a microwave and accidental burnt popcorn alone causes too many inconvenient evacuations.

Montgomery, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2014

Great location,friendly staff.
The place is overwhelmingly CLEAN.Most places this late in the season start to show the stress of constantly full rooms.Upon opening the door,you were hit in the face by the smell of....A SPOTLESS OCEAN FRONT ROOM.
I can't say enough about this place.Enjoyed the stay and will be sure to come back again.

Stayed August 2014, traveled with friends
Tim G, General Manager at Paradise Plaza Inn, responded to this review, August 23, 2014
Thank you for such a positive review. It is nice to hear that you found the hotel so clean. We do have a lot of reviews that mention the cleanliness of the hotel but it seems like that one negative review we get occasionally on a room being dirty, wipes out the 10 previous compliments. Thank you.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2014

This place is unbelievable for the money! Myself and my family stayed on the 8th floor the last week in July and the experience was so beyond what we expected. First you couldn't ask for a better location, second you couldn't ask for a better staff. Double kudos to Scott and Lana at the front desk who are so helpful. Third they give you 16percent off when you stay again. Will def be back!! Loved this place!

• Stayed July 2014
I am glad that you were pleasantly surprised with your experience. Thank you for acknowledging Lana and Scott, although I’m sure you would have found all of our staff is equally hospitable. I may be biased but there is no doubt in my mind that we ARE the best price value of any oceanfront hotel with such an outstanding location!

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2014

Overall I was pretty happy with my choice in hotels. It was a struggle because when searching for one I was afraid that staying on the boardwalk and being so close to the end of the boardwalk at 9th street may mean a dumpy hotel but it wasn't. We arrived an hour earlier then the check in time but were able to check in early which was perfect. I thought it was awesome that they gave you a card for $10 bucks for each day to the 9th Street Tap Bar below. The pool area was ok. Not what I expected but the weather was super sunny anyway so we didn't spend much time there. The only complaints were: My sheets definitely weren't changed everyday. When we arrived my son noticed a small stain on the white sheets and then on the cover throw they put on the bed. And everyday the same stain was there so they kind of annoyed me. Also the lock on our balcony door was broken aka non-existent. Alls we had to lock it was a small bar that kind of lodged it shut. I was glad that I got the partial view of the ocean & the balcony was a nice size but the chairs were dirty looking and the carpets on the balconies were gross. All in all I would probably stay there again.

Room Tip: Go with the partial Ocean view. It seemed like the rooms that had the full ocean view had smaller ba...
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
Tim G, General Manager at Paradise Plaza Inn, responded to this review, September 6, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to write your review and share your experience with others. I am glad that overall you liked the hotel and you were able to check you in prior to the posted check in time. I do apologize for the issue regarding your sheets. It is our practice that sheets are changed daily unless the guest requests otherwise. This is unacceptable and if you had mentioned it to us we would have taken care of it immediately. Don’t get me wrong, it shouldn’t have happened in the first place and it is NOT up to you to bring it to our attention. We should have caught that. I have mentioned in previous responses about the sliding door locks. The salt air has been brutal on the locks and they have tended to rust over the years. Although we are replacing them, we have added the security bar behind the drapes to provide an additional locking device. Only a few of the partial view rooms that are higher up have carpet on the balcony. Unfortunately it is so busy in the summer that we can’t get to those balconies to clean the carpet until the “off season”. We are aware that they need to be addressed and it is on our project list for this year. I do hope you plan a return visit.

Richmond, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2014

My July 2014 stay was pleasant and at a great location on the Boardwalk (at 9th). Above the Alaska Stand and just a block from a Thrasher's Fries location. Could not get into my OF room until right at check in time at 4:00 PM. The free Wi-Fi was slow, but understand it is being upgraded. Plenty of shops, restaurants (fast food and fine dining), bars and other attractions within walking distance. Room was clean and cool and OF view was great.

Room Tip: Go Ocean Front and corner if available.
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
Thank you for staying with us this summer. I do apologize for the Wi-Fi for being slow and yes it is true that we are in the process of upgrading the system. Technology is changing so fast that it is necessary to upgrade the equipment every couple of years and it has been two since we last did that. We are very fortunate to have such an ideal location which it sounds like you were able to enjoy.

Tim Goff

Been to Paradise Plaza Inn? Share your experiences!