“Just Average.” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #16 of 107 Hotels in Ocean City
Basking Ridge, New Jersey
“Just Average.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2013 via mobile

My fiancé and I stayed here for a three night stay. The best thing about the hotel is the location and ample parking. We stayed in a room on the fifth floor. The elevators are slow, small and need air conditioning. The room is average. The housekeepers did a nice job of making sure the room was clean. A light was blown near our room and it was fixed the next day. Money needs to be put into updating the bathroom wallpaper, the loose tiles, and mounting the mini fridge so it doesn't move when you open it. Putting a fan in the bathroom wouldnt hurt either. More carts for luggage would be a bonus, too. The bed was very comfortable and the air conditioning, while loud, worked wonderfully. The balcony is great; we had a view of the ocean and bay, but please remove the filthy/sandy/moldy carpet and put a full privacy wall between rooms. The hotel provided you with $10/day to the Taphouse restaurant, which was amazing, until this morning where we left after 35 minutes of not receiving our very simple breakfast order. The waitress forgot to put the order in...oops... many others were having a similar issue. We were on a time crunch for check out. (We did, however, get a late check out of 12pm, thanks!) The taphouse is great for drinks and entertainment. We did not enter the "parking lot pool" as it was referred to by other hotel guests on the beach. The hotel staff was friendly; check in and out was simple. Was the hotel bad? Absolutely not. I think it has a lot of potential to be a really amazing hotel if some of the aesthetics of the building were updated.

• Stayed July 2013
Tim G, General Manager at Paradise Plaza Inn, responded to this review, July 27, 2013
Thank you for your comments and your business. No doubt the general consensus is that our location “can’t be beat”. It is funny though to read our guest’s comments as it shows how everyone has a different perception of our pro’s and con’s. You mentioned, “Ample parking” and many of our reviewers tell us that parking is in short supply. True, when we are sold out, parking in front of the hotel can be limited but as you mentioned, there is ample parking across the street in our secondary lot. I am amazed that guest’s complain that they have to walk across the street to a lot that you can literally throw a rock at and hit. I am glad you found your room clean because it is can be a chore cleaning over 2,500 room nights per month. We are only human and with that many rooms to be cleaned and guests arriving early and trying to check in hours before the posted check in time, we will make mistakes. Regarding upgrades and renovations, I more than anyone would love to put a ton of money back into the hotel and all at one time. Unfortunately being an independent hotel, we have to invest in stages. This winter we will be addressing the bathroom fan issue as well as the indoor/outdoor carpet on the few balconies that have it. More luggage carts have already been ordered for this summer. As I mentioned in a previous response, the TAPHOUSE is leased out so we have limited say in their operation. I am glad though that you appreciated the $10.00 credit voucher that you received each day of your stay. I know we have made great staffing strides with the friendliness and ability to accommodate our guest’s needs. I appreciate all your comments and the fact that you said the hotel was not “bad” but it could use some upgrades. I am the first to agree with you and not to make excuses, it is not uncommon for many of the beach hotels to be in the same situation as the sand and seasonality wreaks havoc on the overall physical condition of a hotel. Unfortunately most of the issues cannot be addressed until the off season when occupancies die down. I do hope you will plan on returning sometime in the near future.

Tim Goff

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (161)
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2013 via mobile

I just stayed I. This hotel with a friend for 3 days and let me tell u I'm glad I didn't pay for the room bcuz I would be mad , The carpet turned my white socks black , we went out to the beach and left the service room sign out and came back to the towels just thrown on the bathroom sink , we had two beds they didn't even make them they just pulled the ok sheets up half way the other bed Wasn't even touched , taphouse restaurant SUCKS FROM SERVICE TO FOOD , wAs on the toilet 5 minutes from leaving 1 GOOD THING LOCATION LOCATION LOCATION will not be going back

• Stayed July 2013
I’m sorry you were disappointed in your recent stay. I wish you would have said something while you were here so we could have at least looked into your concerns and dealt with the situation while you were here. If you had, we could have easily sent someone to your room to correct the situation. Sure, I too would have liked to not miss your room earlier in the day but apparently we did. I honestly can’t explain why this happened with what you told me but usually there is a simple explanation and a reason why. Unfortunately the TAPHOUSE is leased out to a third party so we have little to no control over their operation. Your comments do surprise me though because I have only heard of two negative complaints all summer long about the restaurant.

Altoona, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2013

POSITIVE: Location was perfect, my family LOVE it. Room & beds were very clean(this coming from a clean freak). Front desk women would very nice and helpful. Loved this Taphouse Bar located on site. We will DEFINITELY be back to this hotel!!

NEGATIVE: Only bad part was that we had 3 adults and 1 child and they only gave us 2 bath towels and 2 wash clothes. I went to get more which had no problem getting but when housecleaning came to clean they took them and let us with the same number as before 2 bath and 2 wash clothes.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Tim G, General Manager at Paradise Plaza Inn, responded to this review, July 20, 2013
I am glad to hear that we earned your loyalty and overall you were pleased with your stay. I honestly don’t know what happened with the towels. The only thing that I can think of is our laundry might have been backed up or worse; an employee was trying to cut corners. It is something I will look into. I am sorry for the inconvenience. We hope you will return soon.

Passaic, New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2013 via mobile

I stayed here for one night with friends while visiting OC for a wedding. The room was much bigger than I expected and was clean and comfortable.

Location was superb and I enjoyed relaxing on our small balcony in the evening.

• Stayed July 2013
Tim G, General Manager at Paradise Plaza Inn, responded to this review, July 19, 2013
Thank you so much for your review. I am glad that you found the accommodations to your liking. I hope you will plan a future visit to Ocean City and keep us in mind when considering hotels.

Pasadena, Maryland, United States
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2013

I stayed with my family. The location was close to everything we wanted that was nice.
But the room was dirty. I wouldn't stay here again. The room had hair all through it, on the bed, shower walls, it was amazing how much. The balcony was full of dirt and trash in the gutters running along your view. It was just full of trash, chicken bone, tarp all kinds of stuff that just took away that feel of a nice place. and last the bathroom mirror wasn't cleaned and somoene left a nice picutre of a guy part for my faimly to see.

Room Tip: I would not get a side balconly, we are right on top of the rooms under you. Its weird for people to...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Tim G, General Manager at Paradise Plaza Inn, responded to this review, July 16, 2013
I am sorry that you were unhappy with your recent stay. As I have said before, we are not perfect and as with all hotels there is a lot of staff and turnover so to have everyone do their job perfectly, is wishful thinking but not a reality. Plus with hosting over an average of 2,500 room nights a month during the summer there will be times that we are going to fall short of some guest’s expectations and disappoint them. It certainly isn’t our intention to do so and we always try our best to clean the rooms to the best of our ability. Thank you for letting me know about the gutter as I just heard the same thing in a review from a day or two ago and it is something we need to address. We have to be careful in how we schedule this because with full occupancy it is difficult for maintenance to get into rooms and hang over guest’s balconies. I did receive a personal email from; I’m assuming your wife, which mentioned the mirror issue. She did tell me that it was noticeable when the shower steamed up the room. With that being the case, it would have even been difficult for our staff to notice it without the condensation in the air. Also as with any hotel that has balconies, you will be above or below someone.

Marlton, New Jersey
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2013

We were recently at your hotel for a five night stay...The images on your webpage are not accurate to what we found. The rooms were very different that what is portrayed on the webpage, not updated at all. There were flys in the room and the floor was dirty when we arrived. The hotel restaurant, The Tap Room, was disguisting. It smelled of yeast and mold and it was so bad we didn't even have a drink there. The pool is small and dirty and near the dumpster I don't know how anyone would swim there. The only benefit was hotel is in a good location.

Your staff was very friendly and helpful which was a plus but until the place is updated I can't say I will be staying there again.

Room Tip: Spend the extra money and go elsewhere!
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
I’m sorry you were disappointed with your recent stay. There are only 3 pictures on our Web site of guest rooms. Two of them are pictures of two of our suites and the 3rd one a standard room. It doesn’t say anywhere that the suite pictures are a portrayal of our standard rooms. Regarding the flies, there is nothing anyone can do about that. The entire state of Maryland is having a major fly issue this summer. Your review of the TAPHOUSE surprises me as it has been the first negative review I have heard all summer. True the pool is small, however it is cleaned daily and yes it is next to the wall surrounding the dumpster. Unfortunately, oceanfront property is a rare commodity so when the hotel was being built, the Architect felt like most guests would prefer the oceanfront views and more of them.

Bronx, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2013

I love this place. Every time I go to Ocean City... the Paradise Plaza Inn is where I stay. Ocean City as a whole isn't great looking, but this place has a great view and is affordable. The best time to go is during the fall. The weather is beautiful, and it is not overwhelming.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Tim G, General Manager at Paradise Plaza Inn, responded to this review, July 15, 2013
Thank you for your review. I am not sure if you were a recent guest or you were here last fall. You are right though, September and October is a great time to come to the beach, with both the water and the temperature ideal and comfortable. If you did come this summer, thanks very much and we certainly hope to see you again this fall. We do feel like we are one of the most affordable boardwalk and ocean front locations in Ocean City and will constantly strive for this.

Tim Goff

Been to Paradise Plaza Inn? Share your experiences!