“nice hotel” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #16 of 108 Hotels in Ocean City
Pasadena, Maryland, United States
“nice hotel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2013

THe Paradise plaza hotel was very enjoyable. It is clean and up to date. We had an Ocean front view with a balcony with fabulous views of the sunrise. THe room was spacious with a kitchenette and sitting area. The Tap House Resturant in the Hotel has great food and very friendly staff

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Tim G, General Manager at Paradise Plaza Inn, responded to this review, March 22, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write your review, especially as positive as it was so potential guests that haven’t stayed here can read both the good and bad reviews. This way they can compare hotels and make up their own mind if they would like to give us the opportunity to earn their business. Hope to have you back as our guest soon.

Tim Goff

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (195)
Stewartstown, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

I was very pleased with my stay in March 2013. The room was very nice. It was clean, spacious, the beds were comfortable, and the little kitchenette was convenient. They have a safe for your valuables. My room had a coffee maker and even had coffee, creamer, sugar, etc. There is a soda machine and ice right down the hall, and you have an ice bucket with cups in your room to get it with. They give you 2 bottles of water each day when room service comes by. Plenty of towels, shampoo, soap, hair dryer, even 2 robes! Free WiFi as well. They also have a restaurant (however I didn't get a chance to go to it). The staff was very friendly and accomidating. And the location is awesome... 9th street and right on the boardwalk, has Sunsations next to the lobby entrance, Alasken Ice, and a row of shops on the boardwalk including a Candy Kitchen. There is a liquor outlet right across 9th street as well. Oh, did I mention a the beach bathroom so you don't have to go up to your room? They have an outside pool also, but I was there off season so it was not open. I have nothing but good things to say about Paradise Plaza Inn. In fact, I cancelled my reservation at another place and booked it here at PP for August. I can't wait to stay here again. HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!!!!!!!

Room Tip: *I had a room facing 9th street (#309), but had a clear view of the boardwalk and ocean. *They hav...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
I am pleased that you found that the hotel was able to meet all if not most of your needs and you found the staff friendly and the rooms clean. We do feel like that we have many of the amenities and services that the general public is looking for. True, like all of Ocean City, some of the amenities and services are not offered year round however from March to November most are in full swing, especially on weekends and as the weather warms up, weekdays too. Thank you for changing your August reservation and re-booking with us. We appreciate it and look forward to your return visit.

Reading, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2013

I had stayed at the Paradise Plaza Inn years ago and I returned last week. I looked at the recent reviews on Trip Advisor and was hesitant. They have a bunch of great reviews but the last two or so were not that great. After taking it all in stride and reading them, I realized that the more recent ones weren't so much a hotel issue but more a Boardwalk and restaurant issue. Even as the guests mentioned, they agreed it wasn't so much the fault of the hotel but city construction and a seasonal restaurant. So I decided to take a chance since I had a great time on my previous visit. I am glad I did. The room was great and as clean as a whistle. Yes the Boardwalk was torn up a bit due to it's reconstruction but it didn't really effect us as we weren't there primarily for the Boardwalk and it did appeared that work was coming to an end. The front desk staff, they couldn't be any friendlier and more welcoming. I met, Tim, the manager and he was as pleasant as can be and went out of his way to be most accommodating and informative. All I can say is Kudos to the Paradise Plaza Inn and I will return next time without hesitation. See you this summer!

Room Tip: Oceanfront rooms are well worth any additional cost.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Tim G, General Manager at Paradise Plaza Inn, responded to this review, March 14, 2013
Thank you so much for your honest, kind review and understanding that sometimes things are just beyond ones control. Your review was quite welcome especially after the previous one! We look forward to your return this summer.

Bethesda, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2013

My husband and I always stay at this hotel for our anniversary (early March). The location and staff can't be beat. The rooms are spacious and clean. This hotel is right on the boardwalk and offers breathtaking views of the ocean and boardwalk. We would recommend this hotel to anyone!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Tim G, General Manager at Paradise Plaza Inn, responded to this review, March 8, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to share your most recent experience. We are very appreciative of your positive review and even more so that you include us in your anniversary plans. I hope that remains a lifelong practice. We look forward to your visit next March if not sooner.

Windsor Mill
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2013

Booked this hotel for a Reach the Beach function in February. My review would take more than 200 characters, so to summarize... My 4p check-in time turned into a 6p check-in time because the room had not been cleaned. We were informed twice the room was ready, went to the room twice only to find it was still not ready. We had a function at 6p so we were late. Speaking by phone with a hotle representative twice, I was informed my rooms (one booked by another parent) could be on the same floor or possibly adjoining. Neither were granted. The rooms are spacious, The bathroom was extremely small (the door had a groove because it actually touches the toilet! I sent an email regarding my concerns to the General Manager, Tim Goff, but have yet to hear a reply. Very disappointed!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Tim G, General Manager at Paradise Plaza Inn, responded to this review, March 7, 2013
I understand your frustration and do apologize for the inconvenience. I certainly realize how upsetting it can be when you expect a 4 PM check in only to arrive and find out there is a delay. In all fairness, if that happens a half dozen times a year with the thousands of room nights we have pass through, it is not that bad., until it happens to you. I am sorry it was you and your party that experienced it. I did receive your letter dated March 1st and unfortunately, I was on vacation the weekend you were here and have been in and out since your letter arrived, dealing with a family emergency. I am sorry I was not able to deal with your complaint sooner and would have rather done that directly with you instead of through Trip Advisor. You mentioned connecting rooms and rooms on the same floor. Yes we can accommodate many guests’ requests and more often than not we do. But it is a “request” and not a guarantee. One thing too that you don’t understand is the room type you reserved, we only have 5 of them in the entire hotel of 89 rooms. If for any reason one or two of these rooms don’t check out on time, it bumps our schedule back to get into those rooms. We are human, we will make mistakes and most often when rooms are not ready by the check in time it is for reasons beyond our control. I wish more guests would understand things like this do happen. No hotel is immune to this. I do admit that the staff needed to be upfront with you when they saw that there might be an issue with your check in.

Port Royal, PA
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2013

My husband and I took a mid-winter trip to the beach. When we booked, no one bothered to tell us that the boardwalk in front of the hotel was being replaced and that workmen would be running chainsaws and large equipment at 6 a.m. on a Saturday and 8 a.m. on Sunday, making it impossible to sleep. We realize this isn't the fault of the hotel, but a little forewarning might have been nice. Additionally, while the hotel was clean and smelled fresh, and the staff was quite friendly, the restaurant on site had terrible food and service. The temperature in the restaurant was not above 60 degrees Sunday morning, and the food was about the same temperature. The beds were not comfortable, but there were plenty of pillows and blankets and the sheets were clean and fresh. The shower, however, was a joke. The tub was so tiny, and the shower curtain so flimsy and short that the entire time in the shower was spent battling the shower curtain, which billowed into the tub. As a result, I had to wipe the floor of the bathroom after each shower, because it was soaked. I probably won't stay there again.

Room Tip: The view from our seventh floor ocean front room was awesome.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Tim G, General Manager at Paradise Plaza Inn, responded to this review, March 1, 2013
Thank you very much for sharing your recent stay with us. First of all let me apologize for the disruption you encountered during your stay in regard to the reconstruction of the Boardwalk. I am pleased to hear though that you somewhat agree that the Hotel really wasn’t to blame and had no control over the City’s work schedule. The letter we received from the Town of Ocean City stated that construction would begin at this end of the boardwalk beginning in early October. Here we are at March 1st. I certainly understand your frustration that chainsaws and large equipment “fired” up at 6 AM on weekends but I can honestly say that until it happened, we knew nothing about the extent of what was going to take place regarding the noise levels other than the letter mentioning “this type of work can be disruptive” and was very weather dependent. It would be impossible for us to determine exactly when they would be in front of our hotel, or any of the other Boardwalk hotels for that matter, which is why we did not call guests ahead of time and warn them about something that may or may not take place during your visit. The letter goes on to say, “we hope you will agree that the construction is necessary and well worth it to have a new Boardwalk that we all can be proud of for many years to come.” I am happy to hear that you found the hotel rooms and staff to be pleasant and accommodating. I am not sure what room you were in so I can’t check out the bath tub although I am quite certain it is a standard size tub, unless you were in a Jacuzzi room. I can however, let you know that we are replacing the shower curtains/rods to the “bowed” type to allow for more wiggle room in the shower. I do apologize for the quality of food and service in the TAPHOUSE during your stay. That is leased out to a third party and I imagine that since they are only open on a few weekends prior to St. Patty’s Day, they are not quite up to snuff. I do hope you give us a second chance, as although you didn’t really get to enjoy it, our location is unbeatable.

3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2013

We just checked out from our 3 night stay at this hotel. Check-in was very easy. The location was great, and at first glance this hotel looked like it was going to be a great place to stay. But after being there our first night we thought about switching to a different hotel. The beds were horribly uncomfortable. Our room was on the 2nd floor right over the boardwalk. When we first looked out the balcony door, we quickly discovered the boardwalk had been torn up (obviously this is NOT the fault of the hotel, and the city is working on replacing the boards). What we did not anticipate was the fact that we were woken up by construction equipment right outside our balcony at about 6 or 6:30 in the morning. Obviously the hotel management knew this construction was going on, and a little forewarning would have been nice. The hotel did not seem crowded. Perhaps they could have placed ocean front guests up on higher floors.

In terms of the rooms themselves, the beds were horribly uncomfortable, we kept getting woken up every time the heater kicked on (VERY loud), the shower curtains invade what little shower space you have (perhaps moving the shower rods out a tad or placing curved shower rods would help with this). The safe in our room was out of service. It looked like maybe the guests before us locked the safe while it was open because we could not get the doors to close. This meant we had to take medicines and all valuables out to our car every time we went out. We did tell the front desk clerk this on Saturday morning, and by the time we checked out Monday morning it still had not been fixed. The desk clerk who checked us out this morning (Monday) graciously removed the safe fee from our bill even though we did not ask. We thought that was very nice on her part and we appreciated it. As far as housekeeping went, we were not impressed. They removed the bath bar we had by the sink for washing our hands, and did not replace it until we asked for it the next day. Some of the towels and bed linens had stains on them which a guest doesn't want to see. Our toilet seat had some kind of a mark or stain on it that was there for the duration of our stay. Maybe it was a permanent mark or stain, but I did not want to get close enough to find out. Additionally the bed skirts in the room were very wrinkled which seemed a little sloppy. The balcony left a lot to be desired as well. Sunday we stayed out of the room for much of the morning and afternoon hoping to have the room cleaned, and then when we needed to rest and housekeeping finally appeared and knocked on the door, we just asked for towels and soap. Another issue we had was with the 9th street taphouse restaurant, which is the restaurant located at the hotel. Their winter menu was extremely limited, and of the 3 appetizers on that menu they did not have a single one. We went to go have a drink there Sunday at maybe 3:30 or so (not exactly sure of the time) and were told the restaurant had just closed. From what i understand, the hotel does not own or operate the restaurant, but as the restaurant was one of the reasons we chose this hotel we were disappointed. I do understand that with it being off season perhaps staffing is not at normal levels. I would assume that some of these issues could be due to the offseason time period. Even considering that we still spent our hard earned money and took time off of our jobs to get away for a quiet romantic get away, and the hotel did not live up to that for either my husband or myself (and despite our complaints, we are not hard to please) We had actually contemplated leaving early. Not sure about whether we would stay here again. The hotel looked so promising. I guess perhaps we would have to get a very very good bargain.

• Stayed February 2013
Your review sounds almost identical to the previous one so I am not going to rehash and go over the same issues that I previously explained except for one. After talking to the construction crew on the Boardwalk, work was to be completed in front of the hotel by the 8th of March but with this recent storm it may have affected the time of completion. Even with the short delay, it will not doubt be finished by St. Patty’s Day weekend. I do however still want to apologize for the inconvenience as I can understand how disappointing it was. Regarding the safe, I honestly can’t understand why it was not attended to in a timely manner as we had a maintenance person on and it takes all but two minutes to open the safe for a guest. I’m sorry for that and was glad to hear that the front desk clerk refunded you the safe fee. The stains on bed linens and towels are unacceptable and have been addressed. My Executive Housekeeper and I took a look at the toilet seat; the mark was actually a small spot where the enamel was worn. That seat has been replaced. I also want to apologize for your experience in the TAPHOUSE. You are correct in mentioning that it is the “off season” and the hours and service are not typical of the other 9 months out of the year. Their normal schedule will resume St. Patty’s Day weekend. I am personally disappointed that your stay was not up to your expectations let alone ours. We value and appreciate all of the reviews we receive on TripAdvisor and the issues you encountered our not typical. Hopefully one day you will give us another opportunity.