“OK but not great” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #16 of 107 Hotels in Ocean City
Port Royal, PA
“OK but not great”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2013

My husband and I took a mid-winter trip to the beach. When we booked, no one bothered to tell us that the boardwalk in front of the hotel was being replaced and that workmen would be running chainsaws and large equipment at 6 a.m. on a Saturday and 8 a.m. on Sunday, making it impossible to sleep. We realize this isn't the fault of the hotel, but a little forewarning might have been nice. Additionally, while the hotel was clean and smelled fresh, and the staff was quite friendly, the restaurant on site had terrible food and service. The temperature in the restaurant was not above 60 degrees Sunday morning, and the food was about the same temperature. The beds were not comfortable, but there were plenty of pillows and blankets and the sheets were clean and fresh. The shower, however, was a joke. The tub was so tiny, and the shower curtain so flimsy and short that the entire time in the shower was spent battling the shower curtain, which billowed into the tub. As a result, I had to wipe the floor of the bathroom after each shower, because it was soaked. I probably won't stay there again.

Room Tip: The view from our seventh floor ocean front room was awesome.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Tim G, General Manager at Paradise Plaza Inn, responded to this review, March 1, 2013
Thank you very much for sharing your recent stay with us. First of all let me apologize for the disruption you encountered during your stay in regard to the reconstruction of the Boardwalk. I am pleased to hear though that you somewhat agree that the Hotel really wasn’t to blame and had no control over the City’s work schedule. The letter we received from the Town of Ocean City stated that construction would begin at this end of the boardwalk beginning in early October. Here we are at March 1st. I certainly understand your frustration that chainsaws and large equipment “fired” up at 6 AM on weekends but I can honestly say that until it happened, we knew nothing about the extent of what was going to take place regarding the noise levels other than the letter mentioning “this type of work can be disruptive” and was very weather dependent. It would be impossible for us to determine exactly when they would be in front of our hotel, or any of the other Boardwalk hotels for that matter, which is why we did not call guests ahead of time and warn them about something that may or may not take place during your visit. The letter goes on to say, “we hope you will agree that the construction is necessary and well worth it to have a new Boardwalk that we all can be proud of for many years to come.” I am happy to hear that you found the hotel rooms and staff to be pleasant and accommodating. I am not sure what room you were in so I can’t check out the bath tub although I am quite certain it is a standard size tub, unless you were in a Jacuzzi room. I can however, let you know that we are replacing the shower curtains/rods to the “bowed” type to allow for more wiggle room in the shower. I do apologize for the quality of food and service in the TAPHOUSE during your stay. That is leased out to a third party and I imagine that since they are only open on a few weekends prior to St. Patty’s Day, they are not quite up to snuff. I do hope you give us a second chance, as although you didn’t really get to enjoy it, our location is unbeatable.

With Hospitality,

Tim Goff

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (161)
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2013 via mobile

We just checked out from our 3 night stay at this hotel. Check-in was very easy. The location was great, and at first glance this hotel looked like it was going to be a great place to stay. But after being there our first night we thought about switching to a different hotel. The beds were horribly uncomfortable. Our room was on the 2nd floor right over the boardwalk. When we first looked out the balcony door, we quickly discovered the boardwalk had been torn up (obviously this is NOT the fault of the hotel, and the city is working on replacing the boards). What we did not anticipate was the fact that we were woken up by construction equipment right outside our balcony at about 6 or 6:30 in the morning. Obviously the hotel management knew this construction was going on, and a little forewarning would have been nice. The hotel did not seem crowded. Perhaps they could have placed ocean front guests up on higher floors.

In terms of the rooms themselves, the beds were horribly uncomfortable, we kept getting woken up every time the heater kicked on (VERY loud), the shower curtains invade what little shower space you have (perhaps moving the shower rods out a tad or placing curved shower rods would help with this). The safe in our room was out of service. It looked like maybe the guests before us locked the safe while it was open because we could not get the doors to close. This meant we had to take medicines and all valuables out to our car every time we went out. We did tell the front desk clerk this on Saturday morning, and by the time we checked out Monday morning it still had not been fixed. The desk clerk who checked us out this morning (Monday) graciously removed the safe fee from our bill even though we did not ask. We thought that was very nice on her part and we appreciated it. As far as housekeeping went, we were not impressed. They removed the bath bar we had by the sink for washing our hands, and did not replace it until we asked for it the next day. Some of the towels and bed linens had stains on them which a guest doesn't want to see. Our toilet seat had some kind of a mark or stain on it that was there for the duration of our stay. Maybe it was a permanent mark or stain, but I did not want to get close enough to find out. Additionally the bed skirts in the room were very wrinkled which seemed a little sloppy. The balcony left a lot to be desired as well. Sunday we stayed out of the room for much of the morning and afternoon hoping to have the room cleaned, and then when we needed to rest and housekeeping finally appeared and knocked on the door, we just asked for towels and soap. Another issue we had was with the 9th street taphouse restaurant, which is the restaurant located at the hotel. Their winter menu was extremely limited, and of the 3 appetizers on that menu they did not have a single one. We went to go have a drink there Sunday at maybe 3:30 or so (not exactly sure of the time) and were told the restaurant had just closed. From what i understand, the hotel does not own or operate the restaurant, but as the restaurant was one of the reasons we chose this hotel we were disappointed. I do understand that with it being off season perhaps staffing is not at normal levels. I would assume that some of these issues could be due to the offseason time period. Even considering that we still spent our hard earned money and took time off of our jobs to get away for a quiet romantic get away, and the hotel did not live up to that for either my husband or myself (and despite our complaints, we are not hard to please) We had actually contemplated leaving early. Not sure about whether we would stay here again. The hotel looked so promising. I guess perhaps we would have to get a very very good bargain.

• Stayed February 2013
Tim G, General Manager at Paradise Plaza Inn, responded to this review, March 7, 2013
Your review sounds almost identical to the previous one so I am not going to rehash and go over the same issues that I previously explained except for one. After talking to the construction crew on the Boardwalk, work was to be completed in front of the hotel by the 8th of March but with this recent storm it may have affected the time of completion. Even with the short delay, it will not doubt be finished by St. Patty’s Day weekend. I do however still want to apologize for the inconvenience as I can understand how disappointing it was. Regarding the safe, I honestly can’t understand why it was not attended to in a timely manner as we had a maintenance person on and it takes all but two minutes to open the safe for a guest. I’m sorry for that and was glad to hear that the front desk clerk refunded you the safe fee. The stains on bed linens and towels are unacceptable and have been addressed. My Executive Housekeeper and I took a look at the toilet seat; the mark was actually a small spot where the enamel was worn. That seat has been replaced. I also want to apologize for your experience in the TAPHOUSE. You are correct in mentioning that it is the “off season” and the hours and service are not typical of the other 9 months out of the year. Their normal schedule will resume St. Patty’s Day weekend. I am personally disappointed that your stay was not up to your expectations let alone ours. We value and appreciate all of the reviews we receive on TripAdvisor and the issues you encountered our not typical. Hopefully one day you will give us another opportunity.

With Hospitality,

Gaithersburg, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2013

One of best hotels that I have ever stayed in. Excellent views, excellent service. The room was tremendous, 2 rooms, jacuzzi, on top of boardwalk...perfect. Will definitely be back for longer stay.
Thanks Tim for letting us check in early. Awesome
Steve G

Room Tip: The higher you go, the better the view
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Tim G, General Manager at Paradise Plaza Inn, responded to this review, February 5, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write your review. I am glad to hear that we seemed to meet your expectations and even more pleased that you plan on returning for even a longer stay sometime in the future. Although our check in time is 4PM, if we can accommodate our guests by getting them in early, we are certainly going to do our best in doing so. Unfortunately in the summer, this is often very difficult to manage. We look forward to your return visit.

Sykesville, Md
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013 via mobile

PPI is one of our favorite hotels in OC. It's always clean and the staff is accommodating. We requested an additional bottle of body lotion (BTW, all provided toiletries are Bath & Bodyworks brand!) and were given 5 of them!!

Try to get an oceanfront room...the views are awesome!!

• Stayed October 2012
Tim G, General Manager at Paradise Plaza Inn, responded to this review, January 25, 2013
I am extremely pleased to hear that you are one of our loyal customers and that you return on a regular basis. I am even more pleased that you find the hotel to be consistently clean and the staff friendly, two of our main goals. Thank you for your continued patronage!

Lewes, Delaware, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2013

My husband and I spent a great time with some friends there. Staff was really friendly and helpful.The room was really clean and the linens were very comfortable. Also, the view of the ocean from our balcony was wonderful.I took a lot of great pictures there.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Tim G, General Manager at Paradise Plaza Inn, responded to this review, January 5, 2013
Thank you for spending your Holiday with us! I hope you all had a great time. I am thrilled to hear that the staff was friendly and helpful and more importantly that the rooms were clean and linens comfortable. We definitely have a number of rooms that you can get some great angles for pictures. Maybe you can post a couple on Trip Advisor for our hotel? Thanks again for visiting us in the off season. Hope to see you as a return guest.

Happy New Year!

Annandale, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2013

My wife and I took our 3 girls to OC for New Years and had a great time and I highly recommend the Paradise Plaza. Our rooms (2 connecting rooms) were outstanding and the beds, linens, and pillows are top notch - great nights of sleep and that's saying a lot for New Years Eve. Staff went out of their way for the hotel guests with wine and cheese and party favors in our rooms. We've stayed before during the summer and you can't beat the location on the beach ... can walk to the inlet and the public restrooms/showers for after beach rinsing are right there. A no-brainer to stay ...

Room Tip: 4th floor rooms were ours.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Happy New Year to you and your family! Thank for making us part of hopefully a memorable R & R getaway. I am sure the two rooms with connecting doors helped with traffic and facilities with all those women! I am pleased that you slept comfortable especially being away for a few days and as you mentioned on New Year Eve! That is often not the most ideal time to travel with kids especially with extracurricular activities that can take place all night long. We were fortunate this year as I had only heard of one minor incident. I am glad you were able to take advantage of some of the little extra Hors ‘D Oeuvres and beverages that we provided at check in. Thanks again for staying with us and do keep us in mind for the summer because as you said, our location only gets better during prime time when everything is open and you are trying to shop, eat, swim and get as much exercise in as you can!

Baltimore, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2013 via mobile

I was not expecting this! Paradise Plaza went way above my expectations this time! I arrived after Christmas to a lobby decorated so beautifully will lights. The staff was a breath of fresh air, and we got checked in so quickly! Our room was large, very clean and had comfortable linens that I wanted to take home. Bathroom had bath and body works soaps which I also loved. But most impressively, was the champagne glasses, champagne, keychain and NYE favors given out to each room for when the ball dropped. My fiancé and I headed out for dinner and the lobby was filled with balloons, a champagne fountain and cheese and crackers. I thought it was all such a fun thing to do to celebrate the new year and thought it was all so generous considering how inexpensive a room was over the holiday. My only criticism would have to be that the taphouse restaurant in the hotel was closed on two of the days we planned on eating- but it is understandable considering most places were closed through winter. Overall, grade A stay for this hotel- will be back as usual.

• Stayed December 2012
Another New Year’s Eve partier! I loved to hear that we exceeded your expectations and that you were actually impressed with some of the extra things we did to go out of our way to surprise our loyal customers. Naturally we always try to maintain our clean rooms and strive to have a pleasant staff. I do apologize for the 9th St TAPHOUSE as it is leased out by a third party and we have little control over their decision to open and close. Unfortunately they were supposed to be open for breakfast and dinner/late night all 4 nights but that obviously wasn’t the case. As you mentioned, it is not that uncommon for winter businesses to change their hours depending on business or lack of it. Thanks again for your continued patronage and we are pleased to have such a loyal guest as you are. Happy New Year!

Tim Goff

Been to Paradise Plaza Inn? Share your experiences!