“Wonderful customer service!!!!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #16 of 107 Hotels in Ocean City
Washington, District of Columbia, United States
“Wonderful customer service!!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2012

The manager of this hotel truly understands the importance of making the guests happy and making sure that their stay is all that it can be!
We have stayed at the Paradise Plaza Inn many times and kept coming back because the views from the balconies are beautiful and the rooms are great and have jacuzzi tubs. We recently stayed over the long weekend after having not been able to go on a vacation for 6 years. I called the hotel directly and made a reservation and got a premium room on the 8th floor and even got a returning customer discount and saved around $100 for the weekend which was awesome! The first two nights of our stay were not the best because there were technical issues with the jacuzzi tub which was disappointing and they did try to fix but it got to the point that our last day there they moved us to another room which was really nice because it had two balconies, it would have been awesome to have been in that room from the beginning, but we didn't let the issues ruin our trip but it was a little disappointing because every other time we had stayed here the experience was wonderful. After we got home I wrote an email to the manager expressing the disappointment and issues that we experienced during our stay and he has to be the best manager in the world and truly knows the importance of customer service because he absolutely has made things right for us and definitely has a return customer for many more vacations. This hotel is like all the other beach hotels but honestly the customer service is above and beyond at this hotel and I would recommend this hotel to anyone! From a romantic weekend to a family vacation it is just perfect!!

Room Tip: The best rooms are 805 and 802 they are bigger and atleast 805 has two balconies!
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled with family
Hoteltim, General Manager at Paradise Plaza Inn, responded to this review, February 27, 2012
Thank you so much for you honest review. Again I apologize for the inconveniences you and your family incurred during your recent visit. I am extremely pleased though that we were able to resolve the issue to your liking and we haven't lost a long time customer. Customer service is one of the major details we are concentrating on this year with all of our staff. In this day and age it is so important and it is one of the main areas that can set us aside from our competition. Thanks again and we look forward to your return.

With Hospitality,

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (161)
Washington, D.C.
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2012

The Paradise Plaza Inn is a clean hotel with a courteous staff. However, I reserved an "ocean front" room a few weeks in advance during off season, and was greatly disappointed when I was assigned a room on the second floor because my "ocean front" view was obscured by a very large "comfort station" (aka toilets!). The Paradise Plaza Inn should bill these rooms as Ocean View, but certainly not Ocean Front. So while the hotel is very nice, I may not stay there again unless I can be guaranteed a room on the 5th floor or higher.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with family
Hoteltim, General Manager at Paradise Plaza Inn, responded to this review, February 24, 2012
Cindy, thank you so much for taking the time to write your review. I am pretty sure you wrote this review during or right after your stay with us as we just recently had a situation where we were replacing tile and carpet in a number of rooms and we had a large kids group coming in that had to be on the same floor. Although it is technically the "off season" we were limited to the number of oceanfront rooms available so we did have to put many of our oceanfront arrivals on the second floor. Unfortunately there are 2 or 3 oceanfront rooms at the north end of the building on the 2nd floor that although they are oceanfront they do have a bit of an obstruction from the city owned changing/comfort station. I am pleased though that you found the hotel clean and the staff courteous. Please if you do decide to stay with us again, which I hope you do, definitely request a higher floor and we will do our utmost in accommodating your wishes. Unfortunately as with most if not all hotels, we can not guarantee anything although we feel 99% confident that we can at least meet your needs. Thanks again for staying with us and we do hope that you give us a second chance.

Pittsburgh
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2012

I recently called to make reservations for September.

I spoke with someone at the counter who was very professional and courteous.

I am vacationing this year with a Vietnam Veteran who has multiple injuries from the war and has problems sleeping so I explained to her that his needs are either a hard sofa or a clean floor to sleep on to alleviate the aggravation in his back. She was able to suggest a room that sounds like it will suit all of our needs wonderfully. She even went as far as to explain the different views from the balconies of different floors to determine which would make my vacation even more memorable.

It isn’t often these days that you find customer service that is friendly and helpful.

Although I have not yet stayed at this hotel, she assured me that the hotel and rooms are in very good condition and that I will be very happy with my stay. After speaking with her, I believe that this will be a wonderful place and I am looking very much forward to spending my vacation here.

Stayed February 2012, traveled with friends
Thank you so much for your kind review. I am extremely pleased to hear that your 1st impression of the hotel has been so positive. We are constantly striving to improve our customer service, friendliness and hospitality as in this day and age, first impressions and one on one communication is so important yet is often now between a person and a machine/recording. I feel confident that we will live up to your expectations and please, if we don't, stop and ask so we can correct the problem immediately.

Winchester, VA
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2012

I don't even know where to begin between power outages, clogged toilets, exploding lights bulbs, and no pillows. I'll start by saying I do not consider myself a difficult person and I am not that hard to please.
Ok, so 4 of us shared a room with 2 queen beds. First off, our room was nothing like we saw in the picture. It didn't even fit the description we read when we booked the room. The kitchenette was literally right beside one of the beds with only about 2 feet of floor space in front and we didn't have the living area that was described. We decided to just let it slide because we were ready to start enjoying our vacation.
The problems really started when we had to go through a total ordeal to get a pillow, which involved calling the front desk numerous times to ask, and waiting hours, before finally being told there were none. Seconds after i had walked by the front desk and asked for a 3rd time to get a pillow, and was told there were still none, i step onto the elevator with a hotel employee and ask him for a pillow. Miraculously he shows up at our door with a pillow within 5 minutes. The front desk/housekeeping apparently didn't want to be bothered to look around for one or just figured it was easier to brush me off then check to see if any had become available.
The next night I am taking a shower and getting ready to go out. Our bathroom had a big bulb in the middle of the ceiling that was set on a timer. I obviously had the light on while i was showering and as I'm looking up rinsing out my hair, THE BULB LITERALLY BUSTS AND GLASS EXPLODES EVERYWHERE. I'm in the middle of a shower at this point and there are large and small shards of glass all over the bottom of the tub, all over the floor outside, on my body, EVERYWHERE. I carefully rinse off and step out while everyone was standing outside the door asking me if i was OK and what had happened. We cleaned up as best we could and called the front desk to let them know what happened. Luckily, i was the last one in the shower so everyone was ready and we were still able to go out. When we come back a few hours later, the bulb had been replaced, but there were still shards of glass all over the floor. The large ones were gone, b/c we had picked them up, but you could still see pieces of glass everywhere. I cannot understand how maintenance wouldn't think to or want to sweep up in there? We obviously had no broom. So i call down and tell the front desk that we need the glass swept b/c we don't want to cut our feet. We decide to go out for an hour or so so they can take care of the problem. We get back, and they STILL haven't swept the floor. You would think that glass being all over a guests bathroom floor after a bulb exploded on them in the shower would put us near the top of the priority list for service. Not only were we not at the top, they were just totally ignoring us. I have NEVER been treated like this by hotel staff; just totally disregarded.

The next night, the women are blow drying their hair and the power goes out. At this point, b/c of what we had experienced, we were certain it would take them hours to flip the breaker or whatever else needed to be done. Fortunately, they did restore our power within about 15 minutes or so.

NEXT, the toilet clogs up. Despite the fact the front desk sounded totally annoyed by another call from us, we did get maintenance up fairly quickly to fix the problem. At this point, we started to get a feeling from the front desk like they didn't want to be bothered with us. Like we were a nuisance or something. It was just totally uncomfortable. Especially considering the fact that none of these problems were our fault. We didn't want the stress of dealing with room problems, or staff who were ignoring us or annoyed by us. We just wanted to relax.
As hard as you try, it's impossible to be treated this poorly and deal with so many accommodation problems and not have it put a big damper on your vacation. Instead of enjoying yourself, you think about how you're paying good money only to be totally brushed off and treated like you don't matter. The staff just did not care about us. They just wanted us to shut-up, pay our money, and go on our way. That's how we were treated anyway. You know how you're usually disappointed to have to go home at the end of a vacation? Well, we were excited to be leaving the Paradise Plaza and all these problems behind. The only positive thing i can think of is the location. Other then that, I could never imagine staying there again and i highly recommend you avoid it if at all possible.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
Hoteltim, General Manager at Paradise Plaza Inn, responded to this review, February 18, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to write your review and share your comments with us and unfortunately your disappointment with your stay. It is tough with a smaller hotel such as ours with 18-20 different room types to be able to show them all on a Web site or in a brochure. Although you may have a room that is oceanfront there may be some differences from room to room and unfortunately it usually the “luck of the draw” as to which room you will receive upon check-in. I do apologize for the attitude you said you received from our staff, which actually surprises me. There is no excuse for maintenance to not clean up the broken glass or at least following through with Housekeeping to make sure it was done. The issues however such as the heat lamp bulb “exploding”, the blow dryer kicking off the breaker and the toilet getting clogged can happen anywhere including your home and are certainly not specific to the Paradise Plaza. I do agree with you however that the way they were handled is and I do apologize. I wish that you had asked for a manager so we could have addressed your issues immediately rather than waiting 6 months to write your review. Since we are somewhat seasonal our front desk staff does change, nonetheless I will share your review and experience with our current staff to remind them of how to handle a guest’s complaint and to properly follow through. Please accept my apology.

Pottsville, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2012

This was my second consecutive year staying at PPI. Overall, the stay was nearly perfect. The staff is friendly & very helpful. They cater to your needs the best they can. The location on the boardwalk is perfect. The lobby is very well kept as was my room on a daily basis. The only two issuses I have is the somewhat dirty restroom in the pool area and the 2 fire alarms that went off in the morning the week of my stay (one being Labor Day & the other alarm 2 days later). I understand that things happen that are beyond anyone's control and you also rather be safe than sorry. It was more of an annoyance than anything. Looking forward to year number 3 this summer.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
Hoteltim, General Manager at Paradise Plaza Inn, responded to this review, January 9, 2012
Thank you Kevin for returning to the Paradise Plaza. We certainly appreciate all of our customers but especially the loyal ones that return on a regular basis! We are glad that you found the hotel clean, accommodating and met your needs. I also appreciate your feedback regarding the pool area, we obviously need to keep a better eye on that during the summer months when it is open. We have discussed plans already to address this in the upcoming season. I couldn't agree with you more about the annoyance of the fire alarm going off twice while you were here but I am glad to see and hear that despite the inconvenience you understand the safety issue and the fact that we don't have any control when it goes off, false or otherwise. Thank you and we look forward to your return this summer.

Baltimore, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2011

Fabulous! I spent my birthday & Thanksgiving at the beach & couldn't have chosen a better place to stay! The GM was a gracious warm host & made me feel comfortable & welcomed. The staff was courtesy & helpful. The view was spectacular! The sunrise was magnificent & majestic & I saw a large group of dolphins swimming! Just what the doctored ordered:) The Suite was clean and had a huge Jet Jacuzzi, which was so soothing & relaxing. Def, gonna visit again. Can't wait! I would recommend this spot to anyone who wants to enjoy their stay at the beach. Convenient location & views of the beach/ocean are to die for. Thank You Tim Goff for being a Superb GM & having great pride in your hotel.
See you soon!

• Stayed November 2011, traveled solo
Hoteltim, General Manager at Paradise Plaza Inn, responded to this review, December 3, 2011
Thank you for your kind words. We loved having you as our guest and most of all being part of your birthday and Thanksgiving. I am pleased that it was a memorable one and one that will bring you back time and time again in the future. I am glad that you had the opportunity to experience such wonderful sites that so many of our guests come here to hopefully catch a glimpse of; primarily the sun rise and the school of dolphin. From my standpoint though I am extremely pleased that you found your room clean and the jacuzzi inviting. The convenient location and views, I never get tired of hearing and am glad that 99% of our guests never disagree on that. Thanks again. I hope to see you again soon but if not then, hopefully for your next birthday or Thanksgiving!
Germantown, New York
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2011

I have been going to Ocean City for the past 20 years and have never dealt with a more incompetent staff. I understand that a request is just that however when the front desk person tells me I cannot have a room on a higher floor because its being held for people coming in on Saturday then I have a problem. Get this it was only Thursday that I was told this. Never have I heard of a hotel operating in such a way. When I as the customer check into a hotel I do not want to be that there are plenty of higher up rooms available but I cannot get one because its being held. These same rooms sat unoccupied until Friday and Saturday evening. Further, my a/c sounded like a jet engine. Incompetent employee number two who was the maintenance man responded, "Well, at least its not as bad as some of the rooms I've visited." I was then told there is nothing he can do about it and he exited the room. No tools in hand and he never even assessed it. Is this proper customer service?

Just when you thought it couldn't get worse, my brother dropped money off the balcony and he went to the front desk to ask for assistance in retrieving it and he found the front desk person Morgan sleeping. Another customer was in the lobby irate because he had been calling the front desk for 25 minutes to set up a wake up call. Nobody was answering. Again, this is the first for me seeing a front desk staff sleeping on the job.

As for the rooms they need:

new beds
fresh paint
better lighting
balcony doors that lock
new shower heads
carpets
balcony chairs

Room Tip: Dont go here if you want nice
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
Hoteltim, General Manager at Paradise Plaza Inn, responded to this review, October 16, 2011
Thank you for your review. I am sorry that you did not bring up ALL these issues with me when you called to discuss your displeasure for not being able to be guaranteed a "request" for an upper floor. Once again I am sorry I was not able to accommodate you or make you understand our specific situation and the reason we could not honor your request. Although you expressed your reasoning, you have NO idea the status of our occupied rooms. Over the past 25 years I have spent many a discussion with guests about not being able to "guarantee" a request. As hard as it may be for someone not in the industry to understand, it unfortunately is the nature of the business and is a policy 99% of hotels follow. Hotels are rarely able to guarantee a specific room number, room type or particular floor. Specifics such as these are "noted" and many times can be accommodated depending on the business at that time. Please keep in mind that there are also times we have "out of order" rooms that we have to contend with that may cause us to have to move multiple reservations around, which can virtually eliminate any possibility of accommodating special requests.

Now to address the other items that you failed to mention but possibly have decided to bring up since you were not satisfied with my inability to help you. I don't doubt that you may have had a noisy air conditioner that needed to be replaced. We do that as we have mechanical issues with them. If our maintenance person handled your A/C issue the way you said they did, I am sorry. That is not the norm. If they address a problem and cannot fix it, they will typically call the desk immediately and request a room move. I apologize if this didn't happen.

I am not sure who "Morgan" is as we do not have an employee named that. Nonetheless, you are right, NO one should be sleeping on the job and it is unacceptable. I did not hear from the other guest you mentioned regarding the wake of call but hopefully our night auditor did eventually take care of his needs or at least explain to him how to set his own wake up call from the privacy of his room.

To address the other issues you brought up and I have tried to answer in previous responses is the fact that this hotel as well as most oceanfront hotels in most beach resorts is the non stop wear and tear that the buildings and furnishings take each and every summer. We have addressed many of these issues in our budgeting process for next year and hopefully many corrections will be made. Painting is a continuous job that is completed every winter, beds are in the budget, shower heads are being changed, all balcony doors have a secondary security bar added in case the actual balcony door lock has been damaged from the ocean salt air. many carpets are being replaced this winter and we will certainly be adding or replacing balcony chairs if they are damaged or missing.

I am sorry for your inconvenience and that we were not able to meet your needs and/or expectations.

With Hospitality,

Been to Paradise Plaza Inn? Share your experiences!