“Good Place for the Price” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Choice Privileges Points
Ranked #40 of 107 Hotels in Ocean City
South Brunswick, NJ
“Good Place for the Price”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2013

This hotel is a short way over the Delaware line so it's far from the Ocean City Boardwalk, but for the price it was great. We had a first floor suite with furnished kitchen, king bed, couch, balcony, covered parking. No breakfast, but if you're staying for more than a day you can bring in stuff. Short walk to the beach & a lighthouse by the bay.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (36)
Reading, Pennsylvania
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2013

I've been coming to this hotel for over 15 years. As of last year there are new owners and I found the differences to be so disappointing. First off, I miss the old staff. It was such a pleasure to see them each year. They knew the meaning of HOSPITALITY! Normally I would stay here during the last weekend before they would close for the season. I especially enjoyed the heated pool, which I could not enjoy anymore because the new owners said they did not turn on the heat because they wanted to "save money". Excuse me, but isn't that why you advertise a heated pool. I'm sure you do not turn on the heat in August?
From now on you may need to do more than just turn off the heated pool to save money because this is one guest that will not stay at this hotel again. From the front desk to housekeeping, nothing is the same. How sad!

Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
Upper Darby
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2013

Stayed at the Econo Lodge Oceanblock in August, 2013 with my two daughters and 3 grandkids. The room was a nice size and accommodated us well. The pool was enjoyable and the beach was a short walk away. I was pleased with my choice.

Shippensburg, Pennsylvania
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2013

Great staff but owner need to make some improvements. Coffee pot burner in room was rusted and nasty looking.The room was a no smoking but I found a cigarette on the balcony and cigarette burn marks on the bathroom sink.Probably won't be back.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Windber, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2013

I booked a last minute trip with my BFF and 4 kids and instead of looking around for hours, I went to the choice hotels website and picked from there. I was looking for an average place, cheap enough, and decent. We weren't disappointed. We were able to check in an hour early, the front desk staff told us where we could park for free (we had an extra car) and the cleaning the place was super clean. Stocked kitchen (although take a can opener), big fridge, micro, coffee maker, small stove, table. The stove had seen better days (temp markings were worn off the oven dial), but it was clean. We cooked in a lot and it worked great. They have a café/outside bar that had great food (and drinks!) and was really reasonably priced. Super friendly wait staff.

We were right on the DE line/Fenwick Island and liked this end of OC away from the congestion. Lots to do for the kids and shopping for us (typical shops plus some boutiques). Close to ice cream, popcorn, Candy Kitchen, mini golf, even a lighthouse. Short jaunt to the beach. Quiet area as there was a rib restaurant on one side of us and private homes on the other. Even being right over the bar (3rd floor) and it being busy at night, with the air on and door closed, we didn't have any problems with noise.

We only swam in the pool once, it was fine if you could find a chair. Not very big, but big enough for 4 kids to swim/splash without bothering anyone else. But, I didn't go to the beach to hang out at the pool. :)

Maybe the only tiny downfall was when you left the room and came back, there was a funky smell, probably from the a/c. We joked that it was the kids' feet and we didn't notice it after a minute anyway. Shower/water pressure/temp was as expected for any other of the million hotels in OC, I've experienced worse. With 6 of us, we still had hot water (sometimes too hot but better than freezing, right?).

I would stay here again rather than search for hours reading reviews when I know this is just fine for what we need!

baltimore
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2013

This was the 3rd year in a row for me & my friend at the Econo Lodge & we could definitely see a downhill change in the quality. There's a big "Newly Renovated' sign on the side of the hotel but it's been years since anything's been re-done. First off , it's time to replace the bedspreads & bed linens. They could have been cleaner. The water in the shower goes from very hot to shocking cold and the air conditioning units or filters need to be replaced. Stale smelling air blows into the room. Also the sliding door to the balcony was very hard to open. We called maintenance but it was never fixed & we just dealt with the sticky door.
As we were checking out, another hotel guest informed us it was hotel week in Ocean City & we should be paying hotel week rates. The desk clerk told us that wasn't possible since we didn't ask for hotel week rates at the time of the booking. NOT GOOD PR for us loyal customers, We paid the higher rate.
We heard the hotel was sold and we miss the old friendly desk staff. They used to call my friend & me by name. The friendly, family feeling of the Econo Lodge is gone.
Don't get me wrong, there are good points, the Rio Grande restaurant is still serving up great breakfasts & it's nice to have umbrella tables & chairs poolside. It's also located in what I think is the best neighborhood in Ocean City.
We'll probably return next year since hotels are scarce in this area of Ocean City. We'll just be more diligent hotel guests & make sure all our demands are met.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Flemington, New Jersey
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

This was our first stay at this hotel, although we are frequent travelers to Ocean City. The hotel is close to the beach and the beach was much less crowded at this location than it is down by the boardwalk. On the positive side, we were able to eat breakfast outdoors by the pool. Food was good, but not inexpensive. Waiters and waitresses were friendly and polite. The front desk staff was a completely different story. We had a problem with our cable TV and although it may not have been something the hotel could fix, when I expressed frustration that my children were very disappointed about a show they wanted to see, I was told very curtly that they would "get over it." Housekeeping made one of our 3 beds only, and we had to go and get our own towels, sheets, blankets, and pillows. The shower alternated between scalding and freezing, regardless of what time of day it was turned on. Broken glass was by the pool one morning, presumably from someone throwing it there the night before. Staff had to be told twice before it was cleaned up. Noise from the Tiki Bar went on late into the night. Most definitely value-priced, but you give up a lot for the savings.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family

Been to Econo Lodge Oceanblock? Share your experiences!