“Very Very Disappointing!” 1 of 5 stars

Ranked #74 of 107 Hotels in Ocean City
Bethany Beach, DE
“Very Very Disappointing!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2005

From the exterior, the Coconut Malorie looks very nice and luxurious. The lobby is also very nice. But as soon as you see the uninterested, gum chewing, annoyed looking front desk personnel with body piercings, the mood quickly changes. My husband and I were checking in for our one year anniversary. We dealt with the less than friendly front desk person and went up to our room. The elevator was old and needed a serious "face-lift". Our room was on the 5th floor and our room key was not working. My husband went back down to the front desk, they made us another key, which also did not work. We went up and down 4 times before the front desk person decided there must be a problem with our door and decided to call maintenance. Which took another 15 minutes just to find him.

After thirty minutes of standing in the hallway, we finally got into our room. The room was pleasant looking at first, then we noticed that there was sand on the floors, dust on everything, wrinkled dingy yellowish bed sheets and dried food stuck all over the inside of the microwave. And the funny thing was, the housekeeper even left an envelope for a tip!

I called the front desk to complain and the woman who identified herself as the manager on duty, said that there was nothing she could do until the morning when the general manager would be there. Well we were checking out in the morning so we were pretty much stuck with our dirty room.

The next day I called the general manager to inform him of our complaints. He was very nice and promised to send us a certificate for two free nights at the hotel and also said he would "show us what true hospitality is". I was satisfied with that. I live less than 10 miles from the hotel and four weeks later I had still not received anything from the hotel.

I then e-mailed him to inquire about our two free nights. He responded with one line saying "I'll send another one out to you." So that right there tells me that he completely forgot and had absolutely no intentions of going out of his way to make sure we had a better stay the second time.

I have made reservations to use the two free nights for New Years, I will continue this review after that stay. Hopefully I'm wrong and they surprise me!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (36)
Washington, DC
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2005

I stayed at the Coconut Malorie for a wedding and was quite skeptical because of some of the reviews. When I arrived at the room, I was pleasantly surprised. The room was larger than I expected and very nicely decorated. There were plenty of toiletries in the bathroom and the kitchen area. The view of the bay from my room was breathtaking! My only complaint about this hotel is the 10 AM checkout time. Other than that, I had a lovely stay there and would stay again!

• Stayed October 2005
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2005

I have been to Ocean City several times a year for the past 40 years and stayed at too many places to even name. I have never experienced a hotel as great as the Coconut Malorie (and I've stayed at some of the most expensive.)
When I walked into the lobby it took my breath away! Every staff member that I came into contact with was extremely polite and helpful. My housekeeping person was awesome. She didn't leave a spot of dust or sand anywhere in the suite, washed my dishes that I left in the sink, made little animal shapes from my washclothes --- too many things to list. I have never been satisfied with the cleanliness of my hotel until the Coconut Malorie.
My son and his family and his in-laws each stayed at a different and more expensive hotels, but they were all saying they would stay at Coconut Malorie on their next trip.

• Stayed September 2005
Frederick, MD
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2005

What a dissapointment. The CM could be a good hotel -- nice structure, lobby, etc. -- but the rooms and the staff bring it down. I've never stayed in hotel (or motel) where I was afraid to walk on the floor... until now. A little sand would have been understandable, but the floor seemed to be covered by some smelly mystery goo. It was foul.

Like others have commented, I found that everything in the room was damaged, badly worn or in need of total replacement.

If it hadn't been Sunfest weekend, I would have left for another hotel. I called the manager when I got home (he was "unavailable" both days we were there) and he refunded part of what we paid. By the sound of his voice, this is something he is very used to doing.

I used to live in Ocean City and I know that there are a ton of hard-working people there who could clean this place up and turn it around. If I were CM management, I would clean house immediately.

• Stayed September 2005
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2005

My husband and I couldn't wait for our big weekend away to attend a Wedding at the Coconut Malorie. Within an hour after check in, we knew the hotel was bad news. The hallways leading to the room smelled like a musty old basement and the carpets were filthy, There was no air conditioning in the hallways..WHY? The elevators were like saunas. We arrived in our room, went to unpack and the bedroom was dark because they use low wattage bulbs and one light was out, making unpacking pretty tricky. Then I headed to the tub for a hot bath. The tub had sand it and the floor was gritty as well. When we pulled back the comforter on the bed, the sheets were really wrinkly. We were sure the sheets had not been changed so I started feeling around and sure enough there was sand on the sheets. We called to complain and they sent someone up to change the bedding. The carpet and tile in our main room were filthy and our feet turned black just walking around the suite. Then we had to call because our air conditioning was not working. We had to pack everything up and move to another room. Friends staying in an adjacent room appeared to have dirty sheets as well and asked to have their bedding changed. Their iron was broken, so they called for a replacement. The front desk said they'd be right up. The iron never showed up. We could see the hotel kitchen from our first room and it was nasty. Would not eat food from that hotel! We went to the pool after hearing they had a bar poolside and no one ever showed in 4 hours to actually work the bar/food area. An employee claimed that the hotel fired "her" that morning. The C malorie appeared to be extremely understaffed. Remember we had a wedding to attend? The CM told the groom to be the morning of the wedding that the oven and ice machine were broken! Wouldn't you think that the CM would bend over backwards to help the bride and groom to be, considering all the money they brought in from guests etc....No not the CM, instead that morning the GROOM went out making multiple trips to bring in 400lbs of ice so that it would be there for the reception. The Bride and Groom had to rent an oven...And here's the kicker..no working AC in the Hall...how nice was that for the newlyweds and their 100 guests?

Shame on the Coconut Malorie for creating so much stress for the bride and groom. They should refund every expense to them as an apology!

Find a better hotel if you want to get your money's worth!

Holly Springs, NC
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2005

We exchange a timeshare week. The week went from Aug 5th to Aug 12th.
The check-in and check-ouut went fine. The lobby is very attractive. We were assigned to the 4th floor in a 1-bedroom unit. The living room, bath room, and bed room were lovely and comfortable. The kitchenette, for us, was a disaster. Here's why - We like to eat breakfast and a litght evening meal in the unit. Our big meal is at lunch. We are senior citizens, so night life is not a part of our what we do. OK! The problem rests with the mini-kitchen. There is no shelf space, so we had to put the coffee maker on one of the two stove burner units with a cutting board separating the two. At the same time there was no room for the toaster, so we plugged that into an outlet in the bathroom, and cooked our toast in there. We wanted to boil some eggs, but there was no sauce pan. The front desk sent one up. We also were short some glasses which the maid provided. The other main fault was that there is absolutely no place to store dry food - no closet space. Nice refrigerator, but no storage space - except in the bathroom under the sink unit.
It really is a nice place, but for what is classed as a one-bedroom unit - the kitchen is completely inadequate for our taste and life style. - Maybe not yours.

We also didn't like the idea of having to cross six lanes of traffic to get to the beach. BUT, the view from the room looking over the bay is magnificent.

Will we go back there? No. If the kitchen isn't important to you, then you may like it. (They may even offer you an opportunity to buy into the place via a timeshare)

1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2005

Booked room two weeks prior to trip, great rates. The morning of check in notified that they were over booked. Several sites still showed availability at 4 times our rate.

Beware you could be left without a room at the last minute!

• Stayed August 2005

Been to Coconut Malorie? Share your experiences!