“Very nice hotel” 4 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersBronze level
Allentown, Pennsylvania
“Very nice hotel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2010

The hotel was very nice, always clean, and staff was very helpful. One of the things that was important to our stay was the health spa that was open to guests of the hotel after checking out. Because we were able to shower and change in the spa before leaving for home, we were able to check out of the hotel at regular check out time, and could still spend the day at the beach instead of heading home early. The restaurant had an excellent breakfast buffet daily at a fantastic price. The food was cooked to order, and the staff was always checking on our table to see if we needed anything else. The buffet was very affordable for families. We would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
SReed64, Manager at Clarion Resort Fontainebleau Hotel, responded to this review, August 2, 2010
We're so glad you had an enjoyable time with us! Thank you for taking the time to post your review. We've had many guests say they like the fact that checking out doesn't mean the end of the beach day. Being able to use the health spa facilities gives you a few more hours to vacation before returning home. We're also glad you enjoyed the breakfast buffets. We look forward to serving you again soon!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (138)
Bronx, New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2010

do not stay in this hotel - old, dirty, molded, and not accomadating at all! the only up is the beach, never been to oc maryland, read great reviews but this has been the worse hotel i ever stood at !

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
SReed64, Manager at Clarion Resort Fontainebleau Hotel, responded to this review, July 29, 2010
Thank you for taking the time to post your review. I'm sorry you didn't enjoy your stay with us. You don't say where the mold was, or what room you stayed in, or in what way we weren't accommodating. We strive for excellence, so having the details of your stay would be very helpful in allowing us to investigate the situation, and correct any issues. You can contact the general manager at 800-638-2100 if you would like to discuss your stay. Thank you again for your time. I do hope you will give us another try.
Gaithersburg, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2010

I was so relieved and had a very wonderful time from July 11 - July 17, 2010! Prior to my arrival, I made the mistake of reading hotel reviews -- and the reviews were actually almost scaring me. Prior to my recent stay, I never read hotel reviews and never wrote one. However, I felt moved to write this one, due to the negative press I previously had been reading regarding the Clarion.

I found the room very neat & clean -- I was most pleased with the linens on the bed (so nice, luxurious & soft)! Since I had a pet with me and was meet friends on another part of the beach most days, I missed room cleaning time. However, early in the morning, I took it upon myself to call Housekeeping (not the front desk) -- I made arrangements with a time when they could come in to clean (and I would be with the dog) and/or I exchanged dirty towels for clean towels. The 2-3 times I did so, I found them to be most courteous, timely, efficient & thorough. Another time, my toilet was running, but was unable to fix the problem myself. I called the front desk who called maintenance. I asked them for an estimate of time for arrival & was stunned when they arrived within 5 minutes -- no more than another 5 minutes before the problem was fixed. Another time, my room key wouldn't work -- within 5 minutes, that was a non-issue. Periodically, I had questions and I was always met with friendliness and courtesy -- very professional staff.

I stayed on a pet floor (brought my 11 year old lab mix). I was on the pet floor (5th floor) -- my only wish was that I had a room that had a closer view to the ocean. However, that's no problem -- I'll know what to ask for the next time. Only other negatives lie with other pet owners -- pet owners (and I am one) need to be responsible!!! If your pet has separation anxiety issues, be courteous of other hotel guests

I was very happy to be travelling with my dog. Any issues that I might have had during my stay really pertain and should be directed to other dog owners. Advice to those who might be travelling with pets. The hotel offers a wonderful perk -- ability to bring your pet. Please do not ruin a good thing by being irresponsible. You know it's the law -- pick up after your pet. The sandlot there for you & your pet --- they supply bags, a trash dispenser AND a pooper-scooper. There is not one excuse for not picking up after your pet. I was stunned that people were not picking up after their pet and this was difficult especially in the evening. I got around the issue by taking my dog for longer walks (across the street (bayside of Coastal Highway). In addition, I used the fan a lot to drown out the whines and/or barking from other dogs. If you know your dog has separation anxiety issues, you might not want to stay out all night -- be courteous of the other hotel guests and their pets -- this is their vacation too!

All in all, I (WE -- my dog & I) had a WONDERFUL time! Very courteous staff and very clean hotel -- we will glady come & stay at the Clarion again!!! :-) (Next time, I know that I will check for specials -- I stayed for $250 per night -- no inclusion of meals, spa time, etc. -- however, I think that's something I myself should have done a better job of looking into before having booked my stay. I should have looked for available specials.)

• Stayed July 2010, traveled solo
I'm very happy you and your pet had a great time with us at the Clarion Resort, and thank you for your wonderful review. We take every review seriously, and take action on correcting whatever we can, but it is so nice when guests take the time to write reviews expressing their enjoyment. Also, thank you for your reminders to other pet owners. We love animals, and we don't like to hear that they are closed in the room, barking from distress.

We pride ourselves on excellent customer service, and it appears as though you experienced that while you were here. You can keep updated with specials and packages by visiting our website at clarionoc.com, or follow us on facebook and twitter.

We look forward to serving you again soon. Bring your dog by the front desk or the executive office for a doggie treat the next time you're here!
Maryland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2010

I was happy with the room and the Clarion in general. Two pools, two restaurants and an outdoor tiki bar/grill with live entertainment; great views of both the ocean and the bay; private access to the beach; all for an affordable price! The beds were comfortable and what else can I say? I will stay at the Clarion again and give it the thumbs up to people who ask me about it. I was surprised to see the negative reviews on this site, but some people are hard or impossible to please. It's true the balcony is small but I enjoyed sitting on the couch with the sliding doors open and looking out at the ocean that way. I had a truly lovely stay in Ocean City.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
We're so glad you enjoyed your stay with us at the Clarion Resort! Thank you for taking the time to post your review. It's rewarding for us to know that guests stay with us and leave relaxed and happy. There's nothing quite like an ocean breeze to cure the stress of a day-to-day routine! Again, thank you for posting, and we look forward to seeing you again soon.
Lititz, Pennsylvania
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2010

We arrived on Sunday around 2PM. Although check-in is 4 PM, we went to the front desk to see if our room was ready. I was told it would be ready by 3, but we could use the facilities. Around 2:30, I noticed several people checking in and asked again if the room was ready. The answer was still 3. A few minutes before 3, I got a cart and loaded all luggage from the car. At 3:05, I was told it wouldn't be ready until the 4 PM check-in time. So I stood in the lobby another 45 minutes with all of our luggage while my wife and kids went out to the pool. It would have been nice if we were told 4 the first time we checked with the front desk, or had a room given to us at 3, as we had been told.
Monday we were shorted 2 washcloths, but made due. Tuesday we were shorted 2 towels and 4 washcloths and the front desk had housekeeping take care of it. Wednesday we were shorted another washcloth, but made due again. Thursday, we were left with no washcloths and no towels. I spoke with the front desk who said they are running short on towels. For what I'm paying, I think they could buy a few more towels. Anyway, 45 minutes later, we still didn't have any towels. My wife went to the front desk and they told her to call in 5 minutes, if no towels were delivered. I gave them 8 and called done. Eventually, they came up with towels. Fifteen minutes later they came with more towels. Unfortunately, the young lady did understand English very well and another lady from Housekeeping had to explain to her that we didn't need them anymore.
Other cons:
The peephole was unusable.
Since we're at the beach, we have wet towels, swimsuits, etc. It would be nice if we could hang these on hooks in the bathroom to dry, instead of throwing them on the floor, or hanging things on a coat hanger. This is an issue with all hotels I've visited in OC, not just the Clarion.
Music from the pool/live entertainment is loud enough to be heard in 10th floor room with the door shut and a/c on.
Pros:
Maintenance responded quickly to a late evening clogged toilet issue.
Most of the staff are friendly.
Nice breakfast buffet. Great value for the price. No matter where I stay next time, I'll probably come back for the breakfast.
One of the bellman gave us some coupon books while I waited with my luggage in the lobby.
On the beach.
Bus stop out front.
The kids enjoyed Lollipop the Clown.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
Thank you for your fair review. We appreciate that you included the positive aspects as well as the issues you were dealing with. I apologize that you were promised check-in at 3:00, because we generally do not guarantee early check-ins for the very reason that guests get upset when we cannot provide that for them.

You are absolutely correct in that our towel shortage should not have been an issue for you at all. Unfortunately, the towels we ordered were delayed in shipping, and we did our best to cover the situation; but I am sorry that you had to be aware of it.

I'm glad that there were aspects of your stay that you enjoyed, and again, I appreciate it that you listed those in your review as well. We do hope to see you again at the Clarion, and if you ever have any issues while on property, please ask to see a manager at the time of the incident so we can be sure it is handled appropriately.
Ashland, Pennsylvania
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2010

The staff at the desk was quite rude. Our room key did not work correctly, even after being reprogramed several times. There are only three elevators and no service elevator, so not only does it take a long time to get an elevator, then half the time your sharing it with a laundry cart or dirty dishes. We were not informed that a hold would be put on our account for 30% more than our charges for "inncedentals" tying up money we could have used on our vacation. Housekeeping knocked on the door way too early each day, and then if we told them to come back in a little while, they would not come back until late in the afternoon. The basket of condiments for the coffee was not replenished, and when my husband went to get cream and sugar and the desk he was treated very poorly. I have never stayed in a more poorly operated hotel, we won't be back.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
Thank you for taking the time to post your opinion. We're sorry you didn't enjoy your stay with us. Customer service is a priority at the Clarion Resort, and I'm disappointed that you did not experience excellent customer service during your stay. Your review was shared with the front desk managers as well as the housekeeping supervisors in order to remedy these situations. It would have been beneficial if you had asked to see a manager while you were here so we could have taken care of it right away.

As for your credit card hold, we do not request a hold for more than the total room charge. Some financial institutions, when recognizing a charge placed at a hotel, restaurant, etc. will put a hold on the account for a higher amount in case of incidentals or tips. Please check with your financial institute to discuss their policies.

Again, thank you for your review, and we do hope you give us another try.
Nottingham, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2010

Our first visit at the Clarion was on Easter 2 years ago. We brought our dog. We werent sure what to expect. But when we checked in, WOW! What a nice place! The room was clean with a beautiful view. The beds were soooo comfortable with nice pillows. The Easter Buffet was out of this world. The view from the restaurant was beautiful. Because it was off season we were allowed to bring our dog "Bella" to the beach. (although she wasnt to sure of the ocean). Our daughter loved the indoor pool. Our overnight stay was so nice, we went again this past Easter. This summer, we checked in on Tues. July 13th, and checked out on Friday July 16th. although we didnt have our dog on this trip. We stayed on the 14th floor. Again, our stay was absolutly, wonderful. This time our daughter swam in both the outdoor and indoor pool. The pool side bar was great with the band. This hotel is a great place to stay anytime of the year. Its alot better then the hotels on the boardwalk. And you get more for your money. If we can, we would like to come back one last time before our daughter starts school and this time bring our dog Bella back. Otherwise, we will be back next year at Easter and again in the summer.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
Thank you for taking the time to post your review saying how much you enjoyed your stay. I'm glad that your daughter was able to enjoy the new outdoor pool! It's definitely been one of the highlights for our guests since it was added. We look forward to seeing you again soon, and I do hope you make it back before your daughter starts school. No matter when you come to visit, make sure you bring Bella!

Been to Clarion Resort Fontainebleau Hotel? Share your experiences!