“Nice place, great price!” 4 of 5 stars

Choice Privileges Points
Ranked #19 of 108 Hotels in Ocean City
GreenLeadersBronze level
Douglas, MA
“Nice place, great price!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2009

Typically we stay on the boardwalk, but a friend I traveled with has stayed here in the past without problems. Needed something cheaper, so here we come! Reservations were booked online and was a smooth as can be. Got a good rate which was almost half of the boardwalk hotel. Check in was smooth, although they do have a late 4pm check in time. Driving 400+ miles I do like to leave early for less traffic, so that means arrival early and you have to wait if your room isn't ready yet. I found this site after booking and got nervous after reading some of the negative reviews. I got up to the room and eveything looked fine, clean, and in place. During the stay, housekeeping had the rooms made up early and quickly. The food at Lennys was great. We ate there more than we expected since we liked it, the price was reasonable and the serving size was plentiful. The nachos, chicken fingers, and burgers were great. Todd the bartender, who I think was just starting there made an awsome Long Island Iced Tea. Overall, I was very pleased with my stay. The other positive comments you read here I did experience. The staff was very friendly, front desk at check in/out were very social, and walking by the staff or meeting them in an elevator they always greeted. I wish I could remember their names to give them the credit they deserve. The only complaint I do have is with housekeeping. Whoever cleaned the rooms the first few nights was very tight on soap and shampoo. Once one is opened, it should have been replaced with another one. That didn't happen. We found ourselves chasing some down a few times. Towards the end of the week, someone different must have been doing the cleaning since everything was filled properly. Even the toilet paper end was neatly folded back. Overall, it was a nice place to stay, with issues to really complain about. I would have no problem coming back and staying there again!!

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with friends
ChrissA1, Gail Lawn, Manager at Clarion Resort Fontainebleau Hotel, responded to this review, July 14, 2009
Thank you for posting your review. We appreciate you taking the time to do so, and hope to see you on your next visit to Ocean City. Even if your just passing through, stop by Lennys Beach Bar & Grill, we'll keep a seat open for you.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (147)
Baltimore, Maryland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2009

I have stayed at the Clarion for the past 6-7 years during the Bar Convention. There is a reason that we (I personally have no part in that decision) return every year. Service is very good. My family always stays in a condo next door but is owned/managed by the Clarion and these are way, way more than adequate. The decor is hotel chic as opposed to what you may expect renting an individuals condo, but it is very comfortable. Problems are dealt with promptly when they occur. Pools are filled with kids having fun. The beach is out the back door. Restaurant is pleasant. Drinks are cold. It is the beach and the hotel does not pretend to be a Mandarin Oriental. So, the costs are reasonable, rooms are clean, food is good, now if they could just control the weather!!!

• Stayed June 2009, traveled on business
ChrissA1, Manager at Clarion Resort Fontainebleau Hotel, responded to this review, June 18, 2009
Thank you for taking the time to post your review.

We enjoy having the State Bar convention here and hope you do not out grow our facilities.

Thank you for your patronageand we hope to see you next year and we will do our best to guarantee Sun Shine.

brick nj
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2009

Stayed here for three days...a great experience...the beach bar was a blast.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with friends
Thank you for taking the time to post your review. We like happy guests. Our beach bar is open every day till Labor Day with live bands.

We look forward to seeing you on your next visit to Ocean City
Annapolis, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2009

This hotel was awesome. Indoor and out door pools along with a private beach. The bartenders and serves will come around and take your order while you are lounging by the pool and they are very friendly. Every employee that walked by me smiled and greeted me. The room was big and had a microwave and mini fridge so we could bring our own lunch meat and snacks and saved money that way. They also had live bands inside and out that were great! I can't wait to come back!

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple
ChrissA1, Manager at Clarion Resort Fontainebleau Hotel, responded to this review, June 11, 2009
Thank you for taking the time to post your review. We are happy that you found our hotel to be awsome and we look forward to seeing you on your next visit to Ocean City.

Kennett Square, PA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2009

We stayed for just one night on Memorial Day weekend on a lark and were so happily surprised to discover this gem of a getaway resort. Indoor and outdoor pool w/hot tub. Chaise lounge bar and food service. Steps to a beautiful beach. Clean, large very comfortable rooms. Reasonably priced gift shop. Top notch seafood and prime rib buffet followed by a fun live band that played every request we had. We danced the night away. Best of all was the very friendly BUT excellent customer service from every staff member we encountered. And PET friendly.

Well done!

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple
ChrissA1, manager at Clarion Resort Fontainebleau Hotel, responded to this review, June 11, 2009
Thank you for taking the time to write a review.
We are happy you enjoyed your stay with us and hope to see you when you next visit Ocean City. We have live bands seven days a week, inside and outside, during the summer months, plus our famous seafood buffet. So ccome on down and dance every night away.

Washington, DC
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2009

We really enjoyed the location directly on the beach - an immediate hit with the kids. The new outdoor pool was an added plus even though it's pretty small. Loved the live afternoon band. The food at the outdoor grill was plentiful and tasty. Some drawbacks were the cramped parking area, tiny dog park, the unfriendly front desk staff, and the excessive room rate. The rooms (beds, furnishings, bathrooms) have not been updated in many, many years and it shows very well. Was appalled that they wanted to charge me to use the fitness center. We'd return only because we can bring our 4-legged family member.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled with family
ChrissA1, Manager at Clarion Resort Fontainebleau Hotel, responded to this review, June 17, 2009
Thank you for taking the time to write a review.

I am sorry you had some drawbacks. Hopefully, I can clear some issues for you.

As for parking, we do offer Free parking to all guest and free valet parking Memorial Day weekend thru September. We do have ample space to handle a full hotel plus a large lot across the street to handle any over flow.

We regret it if you felt the front desk staff to be unfriendly, and I do apologize for this. We appreciate your comment and it will be reviewed with the appropriate staff.

Regarding our rates, we are competitive with other hotels in the area that offer simular services. We do offer many specials and packages, such as our summer fling package which you can check out on our web site.

As for our Health Spa, if you noticed, is not a small room with a couple of pieces of equipment as most properties offer. We have a fully equipped exersize room, a fully equipped weight room, steam room, sauna, ecupyptis room, large whirlpool and a shower & locker area. We have a paid staff who oversee the equipment and assist the guest and Spa members.

Again, Thank you for your review and we hope to see you and your 4-legged family member on your next visit to Ocean City.

Maryland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 10, 2009

I have read several of these reviews for the Clarion and I have also been someone who has tried other pet friendly hotels in the area and have chosen to come back here summer after summer. I have to say, some of what people are saying on here is absolutely true and other things (most the negative)I haven't experienced at all. But all in all, I deal with the things that weren't perfect. I'll share what i have experienced----

When you pull into the parking lot (small, cramped-I have a large SUV) you can drive your car right up to valet to the door-- I normally don't do this if there is parking I can find, but it comes in handy on crowded days --the lot is crowded in summer....and except for a small tip for the person running to get your car-- it is free. I think this is great for this type of hotel! The decor of the lobby could be updated--but I am not staying in the lobby....so... I am not as concerned with that. The elevators on a busy check out day were very slow. on a normal day they are ok. all in all, the staff-- I can't complain about. If we asked something, they got it or answered us. We were excited to explore the hotel on our first vacation there, and we went to each of the places to check them out. In short, the indoor pool is smaller and crowded with alot of kids in summer and noisy,(a kids automated toy torpedo got stuck in my long hair on one occasion---but we had a laugh --after it was out!) lol... but its great in off season. The gym is fine, equipment is decent. Lots of choices of equipment --which is nice. The sauna, hot tub and tanning booth of which we tried out is OK- verrry humid that whole area and the hot tub is in a place off to itself-- kinda odd. I wouldnt go in there by myself and everytime I went in there, people were in it... so we never got to actually use it. My BF and I thought the steak and seafood buffet was very good for the price. The dining room a bit dated...but that's something we could deal with.....There's a little bar area in where the indoor pool is and service was minimal when we went one time. nothing spectacular...but not atrocious either.... The indoor bar was ok.....nothing major. The outdoor grill has limited hours--so we only got to use it once...as it rained when we went last time. The beach is awesome as its right outside the back... they even have a little shower stand so you can wash your feet off before coming back into the hotel.

the pet poo and pee area is very small-but adequate... my little puppy is litter box trained soooo...there is also dog park that you can register for online on 94th street i think...
I've only had one issue one time with a pet friendly room smelling like urine and i immediately called the front desk and they switched rooms fairly quickly. I feel things are "adequate" but decent, not the worst place I have ever stayed ---or the best. I don't need a huge bathroom, just one that I feel is clean. I have never had issue with the linens looking dirty--and that would freak me out. the balconys off the room are small...two people can fit comfortably...but you do get a decent side view of the ocean and the crashing of the waves...

In closing, I guess I like that the Clarion has amenities that I place value in, such as decent smelling room, clean, pet friendly, nice buffet, close to the beach, beach view, away from the hustle and bustle, indoor pool, buffet, valet, outdoor grill service, oh and I forgot beach service (limited but ok service-he could have come more often for drink refreshing,lol) There are only a few other pet friendly hotels in OC, and I wouldn't stay at them....for what I get here, I am satisfied....going again soon! Hope this helps!

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple

Been to Clarion Resort Fontainebleau Hotel? Share your experiences!