“Deceived” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #25 of 107 hotels in Ocean City
Willards, Maryland
“Deceived”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2013

I have stayed at this hotel many times, but this last time was the worst. We checked in on a Saturday and checked out on a Monday in the off season. I liked this hotel because of its tropical decor and it's indoor pool. I live in the area and stay here as a way to celebrate my grand daugters birthday. On this trip I had my 11 and 6 year old grand daughters with me who look forward to swimming in the pool. On this last stay on Sunday the pool was closed. I was told in the morning the pool was closed due to a bacteria and would re-open later that day. After waiting most of the day I asked again about the pool and was told I could use a "sister hotel" that was almost a mile away. We used the "sister hotel" and were unhappy with it's pool acommendations. On Monday the pool was drained and we were told the pool was being painted. When I confronted the manager about the situtaion they acted like they had no idea that the pool was closed at all. The manager offered a 20% discount on my future stay, but I have seen on many hotel booking websites if you book early you can get a 20% discount. I feel that the hotel knew before I checked in about the pool painting and lied about the pool having bacteria and telling me it would be open later so I wouldn't check out early and request a refund for Sunday night. I also think they should have told me before my stay so I could have stayed somewhere else. I feel very decieved by this hotel and I don't have any plans to ever stay here again.

Room Tip: This hotel has many two types of rooms, one with an ocean front balcony with the main entrance to th...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family

409 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (110)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2013 via mobile

Have been coming here for 18years and never had a bad experience. The staff at the front desk are great to work with and Kevin, Kate,Dan and the rest of the staff at the atrium is alwsome! Not to mention the birds. Can't wait till next year!

• Stayed February 2013
Selinsgrove, Pennsylvania
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2013

This hotel is located in a great spot in Ocean City. There were a lot of great restaurants within walking distance and it was close to easy access out of town. The rooms are clean and comfortable. They also had really nice atrium with exotic birds that made coming back to the hotel room fun.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 1, 2013

Once again, almost on the anniversary of my last stay at this value packed blockbuster property, staying here, you just can't mess up! The consistently warm and courteous staff kept the bar high again during our stay! During idle chit-chat at check in our guest receptionist identified immediately with our hunger cries from afar-and awarded us with a complimentary Pizza Pie! Wow! my room was spacious and clean again, with warm generous heat pumping non-stop thruout the entire course of the weekend. I polnt this out as we had to endure blustery 07 degree temperatures thruout the entire weekend, so functioning reliable heat is a huge benefit! Also In my opinion, cookware and flatware is an added value that you cant put a price on, and came well in handy over the course of my stay. The Quality Inn of Ocean City just can't mess up! Derrick M.

Room Tip: Request Rooms Facing the ocean - The sunrise will steal your breath away.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Dover, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2013

This place has everything. Great winter get-away hotel. Has the atrium with tropical birds you can feed in the am. Nice and warm. Has a Bar and small restaurant. Indoor pool and small childs pool with 2 hot tubs. Exercise Room as well as a game room. Plus you can see the ocean! Coffee,tea,hot chocolate 24-7. Paper and fresh fruit every am is free. Rooms have full kitchens, mice size refrigerator and microwave.

Room Tip: do not book a room near the stair well-too noisy
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Frostburg, Maryland
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2013

I walked in to the atrium and realized I had stayed here about 20 years ago. It was very nice back in the early 90s, unfortunately it looks exactly the same -- very, very dated. Now, that's one thing -- I can deal w/ dated as long as it's clean. However, such wasn't the case. We were in a group of 20 and had 5 rooms on the oceanside 3rd floor. Two doors down from us, they had little ants crawling all over the table by the bed. We then noticed the same tiny ants crawling over the kitchenette table and wall next to it. Another in our group reported dried urine on the floor by the toilet. Our tub was a dirty with small hairs in it obviously left from someone shaving. When one of the beds was turned down, there were crumbs in it -- either the sheets weren't changed from the previous guest or the maid was eating on the job. Either way, that's sorta gross. When I told the front desk, the girl did say "sorry about that" and agreed to have the sheets changed, but no major shock or extreme apology. Another room in our group smelled of smoke, despite the fact it's a non-smoking facility. The small "conference area" on floor two in the atrium was a bit dirty as well -- ants crawling all over the bookshelf in there, dirt on a rail from a plant that was moved who-knows-how-long-ago, a wrapper tossed on the window sill that obviously was there for a while and was still there when we left. While the staff is friendly, it appears understaffed -- we never saw housekeeping, whereas I'm used to seeing carts in the hall and passing housekeepers, etc. This despite the fact we spent a considerable amount of time in the hotel the one day and the atrium design allows one to see all hallways in the place. People brought takeout to the atrium conf. area one night and left their boxes, bags, etc (trash) sitting there when they were done. Yes, that's not the hotel's fault these particular customers were rude slobs (particularly when there is a trash can right outside the door or they could have used the ones in the lobby or their rooms) but the fact they sat there all night and smelled the place up, until we cleaned up so we could use the area for our group to meet in the morning shows they don't have enough people working to check on and clean up such things. On the plus side, the location is great, the design of the hotel w/ the atrium is a neat concept, and it does have an indoor pool w/ two hot tubs. The rooms are spacious, have a kitchenette w/ cabinets, dishes, DW, full size fridge, and microwave. However, none of those things outweigh the negatives. I certainly will not stay there again.

One other thing -- the heat in our rooms was set at 80 when we went in. Yes, it was January, but still this is far too hot. The other rooms in our group had the AC kick on when they turned it down. In ours, the heat went off, but no AC came on, so we had to open the sliding door to get it cool enough to tolerate. Part of the issue, I believe is that the AC is connected to a sensor on the sliding door to prevent people from running the AC w/ the door open in the summer. I noticed our sensor had been ripped off. I'm sure someone in the summer time did this to attempt to avert this system -- they wanted to travel from room to balcony w/o opening the door and wanted to keep the room cool and thought they could do it this way, but it backfired and shut the AC off completely rather than allowing it to run w/ the door open. And here it was January and it still was not fixed. Imagine the poor customers who were given this room while it was still hot out? They would have had no AC -- I'm sure they complained about that, were moved to another room, yet it still never got fixed. Again, would not recommend this place.

Room Tip: If you're going to stay here -- and I wouldn't -- get an oceanfront room as opposed to an at...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
Bear DE
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 12, 2012

We took our three grandkids there Friday after Thanksgiving, 11/23 to 11/25. Room was average and the beds were a little hard. The kids enjoyed the pool all day everyday. We had an efficiency so juices,water and snacks were no problem. Overall a good time with no concerns.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family

Been to Quality Inn Oceanfront? Share your experiences!