“Not much quality here!” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #33 of 107 hotels in Ocean City
Frostburg, Maryland
“Not much quality here!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2013

I walked in to the atrium and realized I had stayed here about 20 years ago. It was very nice back in the early 90s, unfortunately it looks exactly the same -- very, very dated. Now, that's one thing -- I can deal w/ dated as long as it's clean. However, such wasn't the case. We were in a group of 20 and had 5 rooms on the oceanside 3rd floor. Two doors down from us, they had little ants crawling all over the table by the bed. We then noticed the same tiny ants crawling over the kitchenette table and wall next to it. Another in our group reported dried urine on the floor by the toilet. Our tub was a dirty with small hairs in it obviously left from someone shaving. When one of the beds was turned down, there were crumbs in it -- either the sheets weren't changed from the previous guest or the maid was eating on the job. Either way, that's sorta gross. When I told the front desk, the girl did say "sorry about that" and agreed to have the sheets changed, but no major shock or extreme apology. Another room in our group smelled of smoke, despite the fact it's a non-smoking facility. The small "conference area" on floor two in the atrium was a bit dirty as well -- ants crawling all over the bookshelf in there, dirt on a rail from a plant that was moved who-knows-how-long-ago, a wrapper tossed on the window sill that obviously was there for a while and was still there when we left. While the staff is friendly, it appears understaffed -- we never saw housekeeping, whereas I'm used to seeing carts in the hall and passing housekeepers, etc. This despite the fact we spent a considerable amount of time in the hotel the one day and the atrium design allows one to see all hallways in the place. People brought takeout to the atrium conf. area one night and left their boxes, bags, etc (trash) sitting there when they were done. Yes, that's not the hotel's fault these particular customers were rude slobs (particularly when there is a trash can right outside the door or they could have used the ones in the lobby or their rooms) but the fact they sat there all night and smelled the place up, until we cleaned up so we could use the area for our group to meet in the morning shows they don't have enough people working to check on and clean up such things. On the plus side, the location is great, the design of the hotel w/ the atrium is a neat concept, and it does have an indoor pool w/ two hot tubs. The rooms are spacious, have a kitchenette w/ cabinets, dishes, DW, full size fridge, and microwave. However, none of those things outweigh the negatives. I certainly will not stay there again.

One other thing -- the heat in our rooms was set at 80 when we went in. Yes, it was January, but still this is far too hot. The other rooms in our group had the AC kick on when they turned it down. In ours, the heat went off, but no AC came on, so we had to open the sliding door to get it cool enough to tolerate. Part of the issue, I believe is that the AC is connected to a sensor on the sliding door to prevent people from running the AC w/ the door open in the summer. I noticed our sensor had been ripped off. I'm sure someone in the summer time did this to attempt to avert this system -- they wanted to travel from room to balcony w/o opening the door and wanted to keep the room cool and thought they could do it this way, but it backfired and shut the AC off completely rather than allowing it to run w/ the door open. And here it was January and it still was not fixed. Imagine the poor customers who were given this room while it was still hot out? They would have had no AC -- I'm sure they complained about that, were moved to another room, yet it still never got fixed. Again, would not recommend this place.

Room Tip: If you're going to stay here -- and I wouldn't -- get an oceanfront room as opposed to an at...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends

377 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (97)
Bear DE
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 12, 2012

We took our three grandkids there Friday after Thanksgiving, 11/23 to 11/25. Room was average and the beds were a little hard. The kids enjoyed the pool all day everyday. We had an efficiency so juices,water and snacks were no problem. Overall a good time with no concerns.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Blackwood, New Jersey
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2012

Stayed in an Atrium view room;directly across from the indoor heated pool and loud sqawking tropical birds. Noise disclaimer should be included with the Atrium view rooms. Reserved room had nurmerous flies in it;was moved to a new room. New room:toilet seat had water marks; tub faucet had a ring of black slime at the base of it;stove knobs were dirty;toilet paper holder was moldy/dusty.I brought my own disinfectants and cleaned myself. Other than that, great location. The beach is directly behind the building;restaurants are up and down the highway and the boardwalk is minutes away

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Quarryville, Pennsylvania
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

This Hotel was a disaster. Here's the story. I was planning my sisters wedding in OCMD and came across this hotel. My parents had stayed here before and said it was nice so this is where I picked. The only friendly person on staff there is an older gentleman, everyone else must have some sand in their bottoms because there wasn't a smile or nice word to be found. However the bartender and waitress at the cafe there were very nice. Next we check into our room with our 4 kids. We were greeted with a dishwasher full of dirty dishes. Considering we got there around dinner time, I was less then pleased to have to unpack, settle my kids and then have to wash all the dishes before I made dinner that night. The best part about that? There wasn't any dish soap or even dishwasher detergent in the room. So we made do with Shampoo. Next I called down to the front desk to ask them were the Pack N Play was that I had ordered 3 weeks prior to our visit. The woman there told me that I would have one the next day as all of theirs were already in use by other guests. When I told her No, we made a reservation for it she told me (and very rudely at that) that it was a first come first serve basis and she didn't know what to tell me. I told her that perhaps she could keep my 1 1/2 year old son with her over night and see how well that goes for her.. After a long night with the baby, I packed my husband and kids and sent them to the beach while my sisters and I did our wedding running. When we came back to the hotel room later that evening, our was barely cleaned. Still no dish soap, or detergent. They also neglected to give us coffee, or sugar, cups or anything even remotely related to us having coffee. Considering the sleepless night we had because of their screw-up, I figured that the least they could have done was give us some coffee to get us through the rest of the day. Apparently they disagreed.
Next we went to bathe the children. Upon entering the bathroom, you are greeted with mold. All kinds of mold all over the bathroom. On the walls, on the air conditioning vents, on the ceilings. Disgusting. I called down to the front desk to tell them about our swampy bathroom and the lack of coffee and everything else. She said that she will tell the girl for tomorrow. Good customer service huh? This pretty much continued our entire stay, which was 5 nights. Had the wedding not been in this hotel we would have left the same night we checked in. On our last night there, I went to brush my teeth and as I turned on the light can you guess what I saw? A ROACH. A legit roach. No I am fully aware that any place that serves food has bugs, however to have actual roaches, which screams "dirty and disgusting" in your guests rooms is absolutely disgusting and unacceptable.
The pool was nice and with as much chlorine as they used it was probably the cleanest place in the entire hotel. The fish and birds were cool, if not a little noisy. Also there is only 1 elevator, and it's disgusting. It's glass which would be very cool, if you could actually SEE out of it. When that elevator has service problems, which happened a few times during our stay, you need to take the stairs. Can you guess how much fun it is to lug 4 children, 6 chairs, a diaper bag, a cooler, and 4 kids worth of beach toys down 3 flights of steps? It's almost as fun as finding a roach in your bathroom while brushing your teeth.
When we checked out, I complained to the manager, who was the most miserable person there (probably because she knows how awful her hotel is) and she refunded my money for a night. How nice. When we got home, we kept everything in bags until we were able to get them all washed.
My husband, who is the most easily pleased and never complains about anything actually wrote an e-mail to the Vice President or whoever and told him how awful it was. When the gentleman got back to us, he apologized and offered us a 20% discount on our next stay. I think I can safely say that that 20% will sit unused for the rest of my life because you could not PAY me enough money to go back there again.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Saratoga Springs, New York
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2012

I've been going to the Quality Inn oceanfront for almost twenty years and this is the last time. The room had a side window and sliding glass door, both of which looked like someone took a dirty wash cloth and smeared it on the glass. The T.V. glass was the same and I spent my first ten minutes in the room cleaning. Speaking of the T.V., it was an old box tv with horrible reception and a terrible picture. No flat screens in the entire hotel. They say they have HBO but it was unwatchable due to it being the station with the worst reception, full of snow. There was a dvd player with a vcr so if you have kids make sure you bring videos for rainy days. The sink,wallpaper,tile, and other assorted things were in a state of disrepair. Be aware, if you stay in a room near the middle of the hotel you will hear loud Parrot squawks in the morning. The smell of chlorine from the indoor pool is overwhelming at times when you are walking around. I can't imagine it's very healthy for the birds to live in as it wasn't pleasant for us to even walk through. They also gave me one bed when I asked for two. Their reasoning was that I used a joint card that is also my wifes and they thought we would want one bed. I specifically requested two beds when reserving my room weeks earlier on the phone. I knew at the time I was traveling with a friend and we DID NOT want to share a bed. It's too bad but over the years it seems they have given up.

toms river
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2012

I found this place through AAA, and wasn't disappointed. I had an oceanfront room, balcony, full kitchen ( stove,dishwasher, full sized 'frige and freezer, toaster and plates cups glasses pots and pans) a nice sized bathroom, an indoor heated pool ( though could have been a bit warmer)The lobby was the lenght of the hotel, 4 stories high, which was where the indoor pool was.. The only problem I saw was very little seating in the lobby/atrium- you had the sit by the pool, where the only chairs were set up. There was a little 'cafe' where you could get stuff like burgers, chicken fingers etc and I don't think they served breakfast, but with almost a full kitchen in your room, we ate breakfast in every day. Poor planning on my part, we were there a few days before a really huge antique car show,(which I didn't know about) and wound up leaving a day early because we couldn't get an extra night at the hotel. Although the people at the front desk tried above and beyond my expectations to get the extra night.And an added bonus for me, an animal lover, they had 5 exotic birds there- 3 of them were rather vocal. I had the patience to hang out with them, and Fenwick had the best vocabulary- and burping and farting noises ( and saying he felt better)as well. I'm sure if we went there not at the time of the antique car show the price would have been more than reasonable for what we got. And I would definatly be back!!!!

Room Tip: rooms on the oceanside have balcony overlooking the ocean. There's rooms facing the strett/parki...
Burke, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2012

We reserved an atrium view room but arrived to find it had a third floor exterior entrance. 2 pieces of luggage and a 50+ year old back was going to make that a no-go. They found us someone to carry the luggage, then realized they had an open first floor interior entrance ocean view room. We happily took it, noticing warily how close we were to the pool, hot tub, and large caged exotic birds. The balcony on the beach was nice even in October. The birds squawked during the night and the kids screamed in the hot tub till it closed, but it was not really that annoying. Full kitchen + free fruit in the lobby brought back to your room = fruit flies all over. Friendly staff, attractive atrium, did I mention free fruit, noisy birds, nice beach, wimpy pillows and towels, made for an acceptable stay. Worth what we paid (beach-side room was an up-grade), so all in all a fine experience. But I would probably seek a higher star hotel next visit.

Room Tip: If you have trouble with stairs, or prefer an interior room door, be sure to ask for that specifical...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends

Been to Quality Inn Oceanfront? Share your experiences!