“A dump that you can not relax in” 1 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Choice Privileges Points
Ranked #29 of 107 Hotels in Ocean City
Annapolis
“A dump that you can not relax in”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2008

I recently stayed at the Quality Inn in Ocean City, Maryland on 54th street. Apparently this hotel is more accomodating for some tropical birds than the people staying there. My first room was dirty and smelled so bad from garlic that I could not stay there. In our second room, everything was covered in rust, the couch was broken, and we were given a cable because the advertised wireless internet access was a lie and didn't reach beyond the attrium. We were told to use our laptops in the atrium. The atrium is about 80 degrees with 100 humidity. I didn't want to sit in the atrim let alone have my laptop there. The humidity is so bad in the hotel I could not style my hair properly. The worst part of our stay was the screaming, screeching birds at 9:00am in the morning. At checkout, I was not asked about my stay and when I complained I was told that 1) the hotel has to be humid for the birds 2) people love those birds and come to the hotel just for them. This hotel is a dump for over $100 a night off season in December

• Liked — view of beach
  • Disliked — everything else, especially the screeching birds at 9:00am
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (129)
Bel AIr, MD
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2007

Our family has been staying at this hotel in the Fall for probably 8 out of the last 10 years. We have never had a problem. As always, the room was clean, the front desk people were very helpful and accommodating, and the remaining hotel staff were all friendly. We actually met other guests who come here this time every year. There has been discussion on other reviews regarding the birds. Yes, the 14 asst'd Conures, Macaws and Cockatoos can get quite noisy at times. Their cages get uncovered around 9:00 am. If that's not to your liking, you should probably go elsewhere. Personally, I'd rather hear the birds than kids squealing and screaming in the pool. The birds are fed and cared for each morning. I learned that most were adoptions/rescues. They are fun to be around. Overall, the Hotel common areas were clean. You need to note that if you book a room that is Atrium View, (not Oceanfront) and not on the 1st floor (of 3), you will have to go outside, then back inside, to get to the indoor pool/hot tub. Not the best thing when temperatures are in the 40's. While we enjoy our off-season stay, I doubt that we'd stay here, or any hotel/motel in Ocean City, in Prime Season. Simply too crowded for me. Overall, this place is an excellent off-season value.

• Liked — Overall atmosphere
  • Disliked — no continental breakfast (coffee/tea/fresh fruit available though
  • Stayed November 2007, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
NY
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2007

We had originally booked a stay at the Days Inn Oceanfront at 2210 Baltimore Ave. But soon after arriving there, we decided we couldn't stay because of various room, hotel and staff conditions and drove up and down the street looking for another place to stay. We ended up at this Quality Inn and are happy we did.

We stayed in a first-floor room overlooking the ocean. Typically, we don't like staying on the first floor, but in this case, it worked out well--easy and quick access to the beach, more privacy than is typical of first-floor rooms.

For a relatively inexpensive rate, we got a decent, clean room with a beautiful view. I would say this hotel is among the better choices on this end of the street for the price. The outdoor and indoor pools were nice. They're not huge, but they're good enough.

It was fun checking out the parrots (some will talk to you) and koi in the atrium. The hotel also offers a complimentary Baltimore Sun each day, at your doorstep, as well as various tea bags, hot water, coffee, fresh fruit and towels for the pool. The on-site bar/cafe also was convenient and pretty cheap--and the hotel gives you a 10 percent coupon you can use there throughout your stay.

If we go to Ocean City again we would definitely consider staying here again.

• Liked — The value. Good deal.
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Scenery Hill, PA
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2007

This hotel is very outdated. The beach outside the hotel balcony covered in litter. The door area where the lock was, was busted and instead of fixing the piece of wood and putting on another lock, they just moved the lock and left the busted door jam. Atrium is not as it appears online. Very dirty and worn. The pool was dirty and full of sand. They have a sign in the bathroom saying that you may experience a difference in temp in the shower and that it is due to OC's fluctuation in water pressure. The shower went from cold to scalding hot the entire time anyone was in the shower. We stayed one night then left and found another hotel.
The new hotel said they never heard of the water problem and we had no trouble taking a shower there. This hotel is not worth the money. Don't book it and be sorry like we did.

• Liked — The moment we left
  • Disliked — Read the review, nothing
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Beloit, Wisconsin
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2007

We decided to take a weekend get away to Ocean City and in looking for hotels we came across the Quality Inn Ocean front. Everyone had told us to stay in northern OC beacause it was a better area with nice hotels. In speaking with the Quality Inn staff the room rate for the weekend started at $300 a night and after much negotiation i got the price to $199 for each night Fri/Sat.

On arrival at the hotel, the first thing we notice is at least 20 Parrots in the "Artium". Squaking and screaming like it was a bird sanctuary. Our room was on the 4th floor over looking the ocean. Once we got to our room, it was not even clean. We were told they were remodeled rooms. There were urine stains on the toilet, dried up food on the coutertop, and stains on the tables.

That night, it was about 90 degrees outside, and awe turned the A/C on to 65 degrees. My 12mo daughter was up the whole night because the room never cooled down. The A/C was blowing warm air all night. By the time we woke up in the morning our sheets were drenched. When i spoke to the management they told me the A/C controls are reversed and i was supposed to set the temp to 85 degress to cool it down.

The following day the A/C broke again. This time the sensor for the door stopped working so the A/C would not turn on because the sensor indicated the balcony door was open and it does not work if the door is open. We called the desk and they sent a maintenece guy up at 10pm. He did not not know what to do, so for an hour he went in and out of the room accomplishing nothing. Finially i fixed it by playing with the sensor.

In addition to the A/C, the cleaning staff was extremely rude. After telling the management about the A/C problems we had and the poor condition with which the room was cleaned when we arrived, the desk assured us we would get VIP cleaning that morning. After the room was cleaned we returned to our room only to find trash not taken out, NO towels, more food stains not cleaned, and some trash just pushed under the furniture.

The only good thing about this hotel is the view.......the hotel itself is disgusting. After spending nearly $400 over a weekend i feel like i was truly ripped off.

• Liked — View of Ocean
  • Disliked — The Room, The service, the staff
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Usa
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2007

Took a quick 2 night trip last week to OC for some crabs on Father's Day. (Try PGN at 29th for the best crabs ever!!!). Read some so so reviews about the hotel and asked the family to stay in the car why I checked it out. First impression bad...trash all over sidewalk. Pool in back of hotel in parking lot. Windows leading to lobby were so dirty you couldn't see through them.
We had booked atrium view because we live on the beach and don't really care about view. We were told room had view of atrium area with tropical wonderland of indoor pool and garden. Yech! Filthy indoor pool, bird cages full of poop. No way was I letting my kids in that pool. I knew I was in trouble. Asked to look at room. Steps up back of building rotted out. Room ok but looked out over discusting indoor pool and smelly birds. Asked to see oceanview. Room worse. Even hubby who hates that I am pickey about rooms said the place was a dump. At $179/night plus 11% tax we wanted out. Front Desk returned money when I politely complained that I just could not stay there. Definitely a senior week crash pad instead of the family "resort" advertised.

• Stayed June 2007, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
South Mountain, Pennsylvania
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2007

We stayed from April 22 through April 25. Our oceanfront room was beyond our expectations after reading other reviews. The bed was extremely comfortable. The room was clean and well-kept. The view was excellent.

The parrots were fine in spite of the complaints of another reviewer. Their cages were cleaned daily (I only clean my parrots' cages weekly), they had new toys, they were covered nightly. Some were allowed to be out of their cages. Their wings were trimmed. As parrots go, I think these guys were happy and definitely seemed to enjoy the human interaction.

The pool was clean. I was told by someone else that the hot tub was too hot, but I didn't try it. Fruit in the lobby was very fresh and abundant. The coffee area was clean and well-stocked. Coffee was always available. Most of the staff were very nice.

There appear to be a number of play areas inside and outside. This is nice for families with younger children. The ground floor ocean front rooms walk out to a protected sandy area. A nice plus for families.

We were given a great room rate after I asked for the rock bottom price. If you are used to a luxury hotel, then you won't be happy here. But if you are looking for sufficient accomodations, this hotel will be satisfactory.

But -- there always has to be a "but" right?

Our refrigerator clunked like a soda machine delivering your can every time the compressor went off. Try sleeping through that! We reported it Monday morning. Nothing was done. After two more nights of clunk-clunk-clunk, we checked out a day early. We were not charged for one night, so only paid for two of our three nights.

The light on the nightstand sizzled and popped when my husband switched it on. We reported this also on Monday, considering it to be a fire hazard. Nothing was done about this either.

No hot water was available our third (and final) morning. Front desk was inundated with calls about this while we were checking out. You could tell they were getting frazzled.

Ice machines are only available on the second and fourth floors. I think they should have been available on every floor.

We did not receive room service our second day. I guess the two hours we were in the room between 8:00 and 5:30 did not leave enough free hours for them to clean the room? We found a bag of clean towels hanging on our door handle.

Would we go back? Yes, but with family in the area, I doubt we'll need a hotel room too often. But if we do, we would probably choose to stay here again.

• Liked — Comfortable bed.
  • Disliked — Noisy refrigerator and lack of response by staff.
  • Stayed April 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to Quality Inn Oceanfront? Share your experiences!