“Needs overhaul” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #49 of 107 Hotels in Ocean City
Salisbury, North Carolina
“Needs overhaul”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2012

This was probably a very good hotel at one time - a very long time ago! Today it is very rundown. The room was acceptable, but the public areas were filthy. It desperatley need to be updated in all areas. The front desk staff was a mixed bag - some were very good, but others were very bad. The only really good thing I can say is that the location is great - right at the boardwalk mid-point. There must be many better places to stay in Ocena City. I would probably not return.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (79)
Pacific Grove, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2012

Pros: Clean bathroom, clean beds, awesome view with a balcony, and spacious rooms.
Cons: Poor underwhelming service, condition of public space, and poor quality of work by engineering in rooms

I have only one major complaint and that is on service recieved from the front office. We checked in late for a 1 night stay. The room was stuffy when we got in around midnight so we tried to turn on the A/C. It didn't work. Tried the heat to see if it was a thermostat issue and it didn't work either. So we slept with the balcony door open. It was nice, until the boardwalk got busy with people early on and woke us up. When checking out, I stopped by the desk. I gave the clerk my room number and all she could say was "OK". I then mentioned the A/C problem and with an attitude she replied "Did you have your balcony door open?" I replied that I didn't and her response was that she'd have maintenance take a look. That was the end of that conversation. She never once apologized or even said thank you for staying. Worst, she couldn't even be bothered with a simple goodbye. I work as a front office manager at a hotel, so it kills me when I am overly forgiving of a hotel's guest room issues and recieve the worst possible service in return. Please retrain your staff and hire people who are generally happy people.

Room Tip: The higher, the better the view. I had room 511 and it was perfect for the view.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Downingtown, Pennsylvania
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2012

Keep in mind that this hotel requires 72 hours notice to cancel and avoid a fine. I find that excessive and worth an average rating of itself. Our room had 2 queen beds and a pullout couch which works well for us since we have 3 kids. They have complementary newspapers in the lobby, Baltimore Sun. They also had good coffee in the lobby. There wasn't enough parking at the hotel but they have a lot across the street that we used. The elevator doors close way too fast. I'm surprised this isn't a safety issue. When we arrived in the hallway of our ninth floor room, the air smelled like fish. Either they cleaned it up or I got used to it after a couple of days. The bathroom had a separate fan switch which I liked. We used the easy to use safe pretty often. There were curtains that separated the living room area from the bedroom area but they don't work right anymore and got stuck when we tried to open and close them. Still I'd rather have the broken curtains instead of none. We didn't watch much TV except for the Weather Channel (which they had), but the signal quality was poor and not many channels were available. They have a hot tub and indoor pool. We used the hot tub but it smelled funny and the water wasn't clear, they probably needed to use more chlorine.

Carmel, IN
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2012

While it's nice to have an oceanfront room at a reasonable price, it seems the amenities could be a bit more luxurious for the price, There is certainly insufficient parking for the rooms immediately on the premises, but an overflow lot just across the street mitigates that somewhat. However, the inside of the hotel is decidedly second-rate - you aren't quite paying top prices, but getting less than not-quite-top-price accomodations. OK in a pinch (if you want better than a dive), but not a real value.

Berkeley Springs, West Virginia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2012

We stayed here for 4 nights in July. Our room was on the "not so nice" side of the hotel. Its like 2 different worlds. I hated the fact that I had to hike back and forth across two lane highways because of inadequate parking facilities. Wasnt alot of fun with 3 children. The hallways and stair wells on our end were dirty. The pools were closed 85% of the time for one reason or another. I truly expected so much more for the price we paid per night. No breakfast here either...that was a definite bummer. Room was decent but again not for what we paid for it. Sleeper sofa was unable to be slept on. I dont think I would stay there again.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Baltimore, Maryland
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2012

Wow, where do I begin? Stayed here this past weekend. There was an odor in my room, a spiderweb on the bathroom sink, stained bathroom floor and stained toilet bowl. The carpet had not been shampooed and there were no curtains. I complained to the front desk. They addressed the odor by spraying air freshener and the lack of curtains by nailing a blanket to the wall over the blinds. While I was not expecting this to be the Sheraton, I do expect cleanliness. They addressed the dirty bathroom floor by spraying and wiping. i did not see a mop anywhere. This hotel needs a THOROUGH overhaul before I can give them a decent recommendation. I will NOT stay here again.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
Binghamton, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2012

I have stayed here many times. Some good ,some bad, some in between experiences. This was a good one. Room was nice. It was clean. I asked for adjoining rooms at booking time and they accommodated that. Thought the overall hotel itself was cleaner than years past and noticed more guys cleaning the grounds than I ever have. Found all house keeping crews to be very friendly. Front desk crew still not particularly friendly. Surfin betty's the outdoor par was fun but would have spent more time there if they took credit cards.
But trip was good, weather fantastic and again the price and location of this property can't be beat. Proably will stay here again next year.

Room Tip: I like the rooms on floors 3-5 for better people watching on the boardwalk. This year we were on the...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends

Been to Quality Inn Boardwalk? Share your experiences!