“Not as bad as others may say, not the 4 seasons either” 3 of 5 stars

Offers & Announcements
New Years Eve @ the beach
Ranked #7 of 107 Hotels in Ocean City
New Jersey
“Not as bad as others may say, not the 4 seasons either”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2005

We stayed for one night only, like others in this forum the previous reviews had me worrying, but it wasn't that bad. I never saw any mice, the rooms did smell a bit musty though. The suites were actually suites though, pretty large with two rooms and kitchen. We paid 120 for the night, it wasnt oceanfront, we saw a crowded pool. Its located about 4 miles from the boardwalk, they had plenty of garage parking the night we were there. The front desk was friendly, and basically everything went pretty smooth. Like I said earlier though, its not the 4 seasons, but in OC you shouldnt spend much time inside anyway.

• Stayed August 2005

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (519)
Baltimore, Maryland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2005

I just returned from the Princess Royale. I was concerned after reading the horror stories about the mice. I contacted the hotel and stated my concerns, regarding the mice and statements about mold. I advised the hotel I had allergies and would have to cancel if I could not receive reassurance. They promptly responded to my e-mail and provided me with contact names. They were very responsive. When I arrived - the filter had just had been changed in my room a/c. That was a nice touch. Customer service at the front desk, bellhop and housekeeping was very good. My suite was clean, although the furniture, etc. is in serious need of replacement. Of course, this is a very heavily used resort and let's be realistic - it is the end of the season. Hopefully - they will do some repairs and remodeling during the winter. I do think the prices are a bit high for the quality of the surroundings. I also was very disappointed to find out that high-speed internet access was no longer available in all suites (as it has been when I stayed in the past). There was no indication of this until I tried to connect. I then found out they have changed to wireless and it is not available in oceanfront suites - only in poolside suites, in the atrium and the front lobby - cost of $9.95 per day. I left a day early because I needed to connect for business reasons and going to the atrium was no always convenient for me and the weather was not all that great. I do think the mousescapades are exaggerated and I also think the staff is trying to show more customer focus. There is only one great hotel in OC and it had no vacancies. Princess Royale has potential - give it a chance.

Pittsburgh
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2005

I am presently at this hotel. It is nasty, dirty and smelly. At present, my room smells like something has died in it. I went to the front desk and compalined and they offered to send housekeeping with some air freshener. So what, they want to try to cover up the dead rat smell rather than take care of the problem? Yesterday, I spoke to the manager Ruby, aka Ms. Personality. I told her that I was dissatisfied with the room. It was nonmaintained, filthy, the quality of the furniture is disgusting. She said the price we paid for the room, $249, was already a discount, and would do nothing for us. The furniture is so disgusting I don't even want to sit on it. The staff members I spoke to were lovely, but unfortunately, they are stressed because they have to go through Atilla the Hun.

Don't let the gorgeous lobby fool you. They put money into that, and did nothing for the rooms! This is a one star hotel at a four star price! And I feel bad for the one star hotels when I say that. I'm sure Motel 6 is better maintained than the Princess Royale. At least there they leave the light on for you. If Ruby were to do that for you, she'd charge you $100 and yell at you for not being grateful. Wonder if she's going to charge me extra for the dead animal smell?

1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2005

This is my third time staying at the hotel. Some major changes will probably never make me book again. Hotel desk people were rude and unhelpful. When asked to speak to the Manager he is always busy or not at the hotel. There is a language barrier now. I felt I was back in Moscow. The staff have a hard time hearing complaints let alone helping you if they don't speak English. I felt I was in a foreign country. The halls were never really cold like a hotel should be. It smelled musty and dank. Food that was delivered to the rooms, and finished were left in a pile for hours by the candy machines smelling up the whole hallway. The room was full of cigar smoke when we arrived and had to be aired out for hours. The sight of towels hanging of the terraces reminded me of the old country, very tacky. The air conditioning was noisey and very hard to regulate and at time made the room smell worse. The Atrium was nice except for the evening hours when the mice would run by the rooms. You would always know when that happens because you would hear screaming and the rustling of the metal chairs scattering. that to me was the worst the hotel had to offer and could possibly be the cause of disease, especially to all the kids walking bare footed. Everytime I went downstairs by the desk, someone is always arguing with the hotel desk people with ligitimate gripes, and there are plenty, but they don't care and seemed very rude. This hotel doesn't know the meaning of customer service. This is hotel has compromised its reputation. I would not recommended this place to anyone.

Stayed August 2005
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2005

Stay Away, Mice all over the place. Rooms are dirty and the non smoking room requested, spelled like a bar. Hotel staff were rude to my complaints.

If you like mouses go to Disney Land !!!!

• Stayed July 2005
, Admin. Asst. at Princess Royale Resort, responded to this review, August 30, 2005
Suffice to say, the "mice" postings are being made by three families who were evicted, with the assistance of local law enforcement, due to their behavior that was unlike anything I have ever witnessed while working in hotel management in Ocean City hotels for over 22 years.

new york
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2005

My first night at the hotel was full of mice running in the atrium. When we called the front desk they offered us by my suggestion glue traps which we put down by room 225 and by the a.m. we caught two mice. When front desk was notified they sent someone up to remove them than we went down to try to check out and get a refund and was told no refunds no way no how. So we tryed to make the best of our vacation at the princes royal hotel. From than on we caught another 3-4 mice. On Friday morning Augest 12th 8 a.m. I was woken up by a ocean city police officer and hotel secuirty which accused me of handing out plates saying there were mice in the hotel. WHICH I DID NOT DO. And informed them of that and told them to contact me with proof or leave me alone. Later that day I was informed I was being kicked out of the hotel me my family and two other familes I was staying with. At 3:45 they told me I am to be out of the hotel or be arrested by 4. My wife and kids did not get back from a boat trip until 4:30 everyone had to take a shower while hotle manager MISS RUBY and ocean city police waited at the door. I will never stay at this hotle again. Hotel managers and general manager did nothing about this problem and said we were the only people complaning about the mice problem. I also found while looking through my room mouse droopings under kitchen sink cabinet and also under vanity sink in corner I have pictures to prove this. thank you unsatisfied guest

1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2005

This hotel was deffinitely not worth the money.

Hotel service was very rude and could not speak english very well. Also, the rooms were dirty, liveable but dirty. The bathroom was especally the worst part of it all. Also, they say this is a newly renovated hotel...but then why does all the furniture and decorations look like they are from the 70s? Another complaint that i have about the room is that the balcony only holds one person, it was so tiny. If you need to use the internet then you have to go down to the pool area. They say that all the rooms have access, but only some of the rooms do and it cost $10 a day. As you probably have read from other reviews the elevators take so long. When I first read that before going to the hotel I just thought people were being picky but I didnt realize they had chairs located by the elevators for your long wait. Once you get on the elevator you are overcome by an annoying voice telling you how great the hotel is and of course who could forget about their annoying and cheesy theme song. Oh by the way...I wouldnt trust the glass elevator in my own oppion, it looked very old and delapitadated. If you decided to go out at night then make sure you come back to the hotel early because there isnt enough parking. It took me a half hour to find a parking space. If you are planing to go during the summer months please keep in mind...that the boardwalk and other attractions are not minutes away like they advertise..in fact 1hour! This hotel is diffently not a resort by any means. They have pool..correct. Although it seemed small for the amount of people, cold, and dirty. Didnt use the sauna in fear of catching a disease. The hot tubs were always taken and Full of sand. As for the other attractions such as the minture golf course dont even waste your time going all the way up to the roof because its pretty much destroyed and vacant. This also includes the tennis courts and the video games are usually out of order. The "Cafe on the green" highly priced..but i guess that is to be expected with any hotel. The green well thats grass and mud with plastic lawn chairs on them. They did have a person singing though that was pretty nice. Although the same person came back the next day singing the same old songs. When you leave for check out make sure you look at your bill closely because i got charged with someone's $48 lunch...although after i got home i called and they took care of the whole ordeal. I didnt even want to go the the buffet because the byt the time i got there i was sick from the smelly hallway and deicded to eat outside of the hotel.

Well i guess you can tell i was not at all happy with this hotel and deffinitely for the price. Not only was i unpleased but many of the other guest you could here complaining from.

• Stayed August 2005

Been to Princess Royale Resort? Share your experiences!