“Nice, Clean, but Not Luxury” 3 of 5 stars

Offers & Announcements
New Years Eve @ the beach
Ranked #7 of 107 Hotels in Ocean City
Virginia
“Nice, Clean, but Not Luxury”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2009

We recently stayed at the Princess Royale on an off season weekend trip. We paid about $100 per night (oceanfront), which was a good deal. The rooms were clean, the beds were VERY comfortable, and the indoor pool was nice. Again, for $100, it was a good deal. I noticed that the rooms go for $250 + a night during the summer though, which in my opinion is WAY too expensive. The hotel is nothing remarkable, just average.

Side Note: The hotel is away from Ocean City's main attractions, and on summer nights, the 1-2 mile distance can take 30-45 minutes. It's a haul!!!

• Stayed April 2009, traveled with family
PrincessRoyaleHotel, Condo Manager at Princess Royale Resort, responded to this review, April 24, 2009
Thank you for taking the time to post your thoughts regarding your recent stay at our hotel. I am glad that you enjoyed the pool and liked the suite; as well as finding it to be clean to your satisfaction. And, of course, the Temper-pedic mattresses are our most popular amenity!

We did remodel ALL 310 of our suites in 2008 and we are currently remodeling many of our two and three bedroom condos for the 2009 season; as our web site and virtual tour show.

Our hotel is AAA rated at 3 diamonds and there is only one other property in Ocean City with a higher rating.

With regard to the pricing, like all hotels and motels in Ocean City as well as other beach resorts, our rates do increase in the summer. However, I can assure you that our hotel is very competitive in price year-round to other oceanfront hotels offering similar suites, services and amenities.

Please review our web site for money saving coupons available during the summer season as well.

Thank you for your patronage and we hope to see you on your next visit to Ocean City!

Princess

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (519)
Maryland
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2009

Drunken guests hurled objects from an upper balcony, damaging our automobile down below. Management was aware that the police were involved and did not give us a "heads up" that the police would be coming to our room at 2:00 in the morning, banging on our door, scaring our children out of their wits. Management was then rude and completely unaccommodating, offering NO apologies for the conduct of their drunken guests and the damage to our car. The only response was, "you shouldn't have parked underneath the balcony on the public street," and "it's not our fault that our guests were drunk!" VERY POOR CUSTOMER SERVICE. How about, "Sorry that we didn't give you a call to tell you that the police were on their way up to your room. Sorry that your car was damaged. We hope that you otherwise enjoyed your stay and will give us another chance." ? Instead, rude letters in response to my expressed disappointment that our vacation was ruined. Isn't this supposed to be part of the hospitality industry? Not very hospitable! Guess what -- there are a lot of other lovely options for beach vacations in the area. We will never again stay at the Princess Royale and we have been sure to tell all of our friends of the poor customer service!

• Stayed July 2006, traveled with family
Thank you for taking the time to post your concerns. With regard to your posting, as was politely and professionally explained, the hotel can not control when another guest behaves in a manner that we, and other guests, do not find appropriate. Therefore, when there is an issue, local authorities are contacted and act as they deem necessary and appropriate to address the situation.

As I am sure you can understand, we certainly would prefer that ALL guests act in a responsible manner but, unfortunately, that is not realistic for us or any other hotel.

Therefore, please do not confuse the staff not providing you with complimentary accommodations due to of the actions of another guest, whose actions that we can not control, as being "rude".

Please note also that we can not take responsibility for vehicles that are not even parked on our property.

Our staff can no more control the actions of each guest than you can control the actions of neighbors at your own home. When there is an issue, the authorities are contacted and they handle the matter.

I sincerely regret that you were not happy with your stay. However, this was, in fact, a very isolated incident in which the hotel was not at fault nor had any control regarding.

I hope that on your next visit to Ocean City that your accommodations and courtesy exceed your every expectation.

Thank you.
Troy, Michigan
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2009

Stayed here for two nights. Great ocean view from our room's balcony. Reasonable rates. The decor inside the hallways were rather cheesy, reminded of being in a cruise ship, and the hallway smelled like Vicks Vapor Rub.

The bell service and front desk was helpful and nice. Parking is convienent.. At 91st, and the boardwalk of OC starts at 27th, so a little drive to get down to the boardwalk.

The restaurant in the hotel was decent, but to utilize the specials, you had to sit at the bar. Same with happy hour, rather silly, considering our table was 10 feet away.

The best part of the room was the beds.. They were amazing. Two great nights of sleep on those temp. mattresses.

Wi-Fi was average at best, seems if I logged onto one, the connection would be strong for 5 minutes and then get weak. The pool was nice, roomy. Be a nice place to be should it be a rainy day..

I would call the Princess Royale a great value during the offseason, but for the OC experience, I will probably consider a hotel next to the boardwalk for the same price when I come back in September..

• Stayed March 2009, traveled as a couple
PrincessRoyaleHotel, Admin Asst. at Princess Royale Resort, responded to this review, March 30, 2009
Thank you for taking the time to post your comments. We certainly are pleased that you found that hotel to be a "great value". While "cheesy" is not a word be are accustomed to hearing regarding our hallways, we will take your comments into consideration when we next renovate. Please note all 310 one bedroom suites were renovated late year and most of our two and three bedroom condos are being renovated this spring as well.

Thank you for your comments about the Temper-peric mattresses as well. They are, without doubt, the most popular item in our suites.

Yes, the hotel is located in North Ocean City at 91st street and the famous OC Boardwalk ends at 28th street. It simply is a matter of individual preference if you desire to stay in South Ocean City or North Ocean City or somewhere in between.

Thank you again for your review and please refer to our web site for money saving coupons should you choose to stay with us in the future.

I hope that on your next visit to Ocean City that your accommodations exceed your every expectation.
Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2009

This stay was for a "cheeleading competition" weekend for my grandaughters last year in High School. We had originally booked another hotel until someone recommended this one to us. When we called Amanda said we could have a low floor. I have panic attacks in elevators and heights. She emailed us back & said we were good to go with a low floor, so we canceled our other hotel. Upon arriving 1 hour prior to check in time we had a nice boy give us our room and it was on the 10th floor, highest floor with an outside glass elevator. I tried to do it but could not, so we went back and asked for a lower floor and he told us they had none. So we went to the room and I started having an attack. My daughter went down to the hotel desk & asked ABBY if out of courtesy for customers could they please switch me with all the other people waiting in line for a room, keep in mind we were there at 3 its now 4 & people are starting to check in. So when we checked in they could have switched another room or given us one on a lower floor as were we emailed by Amanda. ABBY proceeded to tell us that there is not guarantee and Amanda should never had emailed us with this and so on and so on, words started and Abby got very "nasty" with my daughter, and I mean disrespecful it was terrible in front of all these customers. I was embarassed by this woman ABBY and how she talked and handled the situation. I then took medication and hardly slept all night. Customer service is not on her list, nor does she know how to treat people. She should not be in the position she is in. There is a way to be courteous to people who are paying your salary which she needs to be reminded.

This hotel is very clean and nice. You cant beat Oceanfront views and those wonderful mattresses. Pool inside was a little dirty but other then outr"conflict" with the front desk ABBY we had a nice time and again the Hotel Room is VERY CLEAN. Its ashame they dont value there customers or keep their written email promises as other hotels. They could have added another couple customers to their list but we will now stay at the Hilton where eveyone is friendly and works hard to please there customers.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled with family
PrincessRoyaleHotel, Admin Asst. at Princess Royale Resort, responded to this review, March 9, 2009
Thank you for taking the time to post your comments regarding your recent stay at our hotel. We are certainly glad that you felt the hotel was very clean and the mattress was great-- that is certainly the item which we receive the MOST postiive comments regarding!

I regret we were unable to honor your request for a lower floor. All of our two and three bedroom condos, as stated on our website, are located on floors 6-10. Accordingly, it would have been necessary to use the same glass oceanfront elevator to get to any condo.

Please note that we do take REQUESTS, and every effort is made to honor all requests but it is not always possible. We only have 20 of the two bedroom condos and they were sold out on the dates of your stay. I assure you if we could have moved you, we would of done so gladly.

I would, however, be interested in seeing the e-mail that you received from "Amanda" stating that you would be on a lower floor as we do not have an "Amanda" that has or does now work in Reservations or at our Front Desk; nor do we guarantee room locatation. In fact, our confirmations clearly indicate that we do NOT guarantee room location for a host of reasons.

Please send me a copy of the e-mail that you refer to in your posting to my attention at info@princessroyale.com as I would like to fully research the matter.

I am happy to announce that, as we did last year with all 310 one bedroom suites, this year we are remodeling the hotel's 2 & 3 bedroom condos. Unfortunately, due to the renovation schedule, a condo on a lower floor was not available and I do apologize. However, as I am sure you can understand, this is the time of year that we must to do our deep cleaning and renovations to prepare for the upcoming season.

I regret if you felt that any staff member was anything less than courteous and professional. Please be assured that your comments will be reviewed with the appropriate staff members and I apologize for any inconvenience.

Thank you again for your comments and your patronage. I hope that on your next visit you will allow us to serve your hospitality needs.

Please be sure to review our website for money saving coupons for your next visit to our hotel.

Washington, DC
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2008

My fiance and I were supposed to stay at the Princess Royale for a wedding we were going to in August. The weekend of the wedding a noreaster hit the entire area so we stayed in DC and didn't make it to the wedding (we weren't the only ones). We couldn't get a refund on the room so we used it in November once our busy work schedule allowed us some free time.

We're both from Virginia Beach and used to huge resort hotels. All in all the Princess Royale was nice. It definitely tends to be more of a family hotel but we enjoyed it even as a couple.

The front desk staff are very nice, the rates had changed from our original reservation in August so they did refund us the difference (came out to ~$100).

We had a pool side room that was pretty cool. They don't do that in Va Beach so it was unexpected. I thought that the kids playing in the pool during the day would be annoying because of the glass doors that lead to the balcony but we never heard a sound with them closed.

There was a nice flatscreen TV in the bedroom area with lots of movie channels.

Plenty of hot water with good pressure in the shower. They even had the little knob on the shower head to turn off water flow to conserve water while lathering up.

It might have been november but we still got in the outdoor hot tubs that overlook the beach. It was pretty cool.

There was some sort of convention going on in the hotel so we got to go use our "one free drink at the hotel bar" coupon and laugh at all the drunk older guys trying to pickup the younger ladies. good times!

All in all, the Princess Royale was enjoyable. Its nothing fancy, but it has that "Jersey Chic" feeling to it that makes you feel right at home. Other hotels sometimes try to hard and are overbearing with their attempts to make you feel at home. Which in turn make you feel the opposite. The princess just does it without trying.

On another note, if you get the chance, eat at Waterman's down across the Route 50 bridge. It's on your right just about a mile after the bridge. It was recommended by a local guy we talked to and it was GREAT! It you're in the mood for some quick burgers check our "Big Peckers". You can't miss the sign driving around the Princess Royale area.

• Liked — Room Service was Cheap and DELICIOUS!
  • Disliked — Having to Leave
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
PrincessRoyaleHotel, Admin. Asst. at Princess Royale Resort, responded to this review, December 4, 2008
Thank you for your comments. I am pleased that you felt we had "character" and we look forward to seeing you on your next visit to Ocean City!

Bethlehem, PA
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 23, 2008

We booked our stay online for September 2008. We did all of the work by doing it online with no contact with the hotel. A HURRICANE was due to hit the Ocean City area the time we were scheduled to go with projected high winds, rain and flooding. We were driving 5 hours to get to Ocean City and decided to cancel for safety reasons. The hotel kept our security deposit ($160.00) stating it was in the online information. We could not control the hurricane or weather conditions. I called the hotel but they refused to refund our money. I intend to write to the BBB and hope no one else gets the same treatment. I will never say at any of their properties in Ocean City and let all of my friends and family know what happened.

• Stayed September 2008
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
PrincessRoyaleHotel, Administrative Asst. at Princess Royale Resort, responded to this review, December 5, 2008
Thank you for taking the time to post your concerns. However, it is important not to confuse cancellation policies as "poor customer service". The cancellation policies are advised to each guest as they make a reservation regardless if by phone or online. In addition, a confirmation reiterating these policies is then sent to each guest.

The hotel has no more control over inclement weather than our guests. However, on the date of your reservation Ocean City had wind and rain; NOT a hurricane, and such weather is most definitely not a valid reason for a cancellation and/or refund. It is important to note that there were only two cancellations on the date of your cancellation; therefore most guests obviously did not see the weather conditions as a reason to cancel their visit to Ocean City.

It is also important to state that cancellation policies are common throughout the travel industry and are not indicative of "poor customer service".

We understand that no guest ever "plans" on canceling their reservation. And, we understand that no guest desires to forfeit their deposit when needing to cancel. However, we receive cancellation requests on a daily basis for many reasons and it certainly is not possible to refund all of them. Please understand that we held a suite for you based on your guaranteed reservation. Of course, other guests were then turned away for that suite as it was guaranteed by you. Just as you expected the terms of your reservation to be honored the hotel had the same expectation.

Again, we understand that no guests desire to forfeit their deposit when canceling a reservation but such policies are simply a standard in the travel industry and are not "poor customer service".

I trust this addresses your concerns.

Richland, Washington
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2008

This resort is pretty nice but the decor is straight out of the 1970's. The suites have partially been updated with a 42" +/- flat t.v. in the bed room but a smaller box in the living room. The telephones are straight out of the 80's with the old push button desk phones and to order movies there is a sort of credit card maching in the living room. The bathroom is smal and the upgrade to a jacuzzi tub would do wonders to the room. The colors are awful but nothing any man can't deal with.The staff is courteous but the front desk is a little slow. The young man that checked me in was very helpful and responsive but the "supervisor" that assisted with checkout was incompetent, slow and rude. The resort does not offer full service laundry and the nearest dry cleaning is down the road a few miles.

• Liked — The pool area
  • Disliked — The decor
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
PrincessRoyaleHotel, Admin Asst. at Princess Royale Resort, responded to this review, November 20, 2008
Thank you for your comments. Our hotel opened in 1993 and had been remodeled twice since that time. All 330 of our one bedroom suites were just remodeled in the spring of 2008 and many of our two and three bedroom condos will be remodeled in spring of 2009. Our web site has a great new virtual tour and all the new upgrades are also listed on our web site. Please be assured that a great deal of time, effort and expense have been expended to ensure that our property is kept at a level that we, and our guests, expect.

With regard to the phones, we did make the decision not to upgrade them at this time. However, instead we invested the money to add voice mail to all phones for the convenience of our guests which we felt was a better service for our guests than simply replacing the phone itself.

Accordingly, with all Temper-pedic Swedish mattresses, 32 inch flat screen televisions, granite bath and kitchens as well as new furniture, linens and case goods, I am at a loss regarding the "70's" comment.

Thank you again for your comments and I certainly hope that on your next visit to Ocean City that your accommodations and service exceed your every expectation.

Princess Royale

Been to Princess Royale Resort? Share your experiences!