“Very strict!!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of The Breakers Hotel

We can't find prices for this hotel
The Breakers Hotel
3rd Street & Boardwalk, Ocean City, MD 21843   |
Ranked #27 of 106 hotels in Ocean City
“Very strict!!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2013

Though the room was really nice and clean, they are very strict! We couldn't talk very loud or have the tv too loud because staff was very strict! And we had our do not disturb sign up but housekeeping kept harassing us to come in and clean. She even called after I had told her no twice asking if we wanted our room cleaned. But it is a great location!

• Stayed August 2013

133 people have reviewed this hotel

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
Thurmont, Maryland, United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2013

First I would like to say I am not one to complain because of one bad experience. Actually, I have never made it a point to post a review online....ever, until my very short stay at Breakers. We had originally planned to visit O.C. for just a day trip so I didn't book a room in advance. Once the rain set in, we decided it would be a good idea to get a room so the kids could have more beach time. I called around and Breaker's was the first hotel we called with a room available so we were on our way. On the ride over, my friends kid asked if he could stay with us since his mom and dad were going home that night. So I went from 2 adults and 2 kids to 2 adults and 3 kids. As soon as I approached the desk, there was an older lady behind it that wouldn't even look up from her computer until I said "hello, excuse me." As soon as I had her attention, I informed her I now had 3 children instead of 2, and said "Is that going to be a problem or do you have a bigger room?" After much grunting and nagging, she said it was fine but was very clear they had no extra blankets, no cots, and no extra pillows --- which I didn't even ask her about! She very rudely kept accusing me of being a liar or in her own words...."can't decide how many kids I have." So I bite my tongue and we continue to check in...I hand her my ID and credit card. At this point I'm wondering if I am imagining her attitude towards me or if this is really happening. I can't figure out why in the world she would be angry with me, I've only been there a few minutes. I asked the lady if there was a security deposit and if so, how much. She looked at me like I was stupid and asked how old I was. She was the one standing there with my drivers license in her hand....so who's the stupid one now? So I tell her how old I am and she stated very rudely that because I was over 21 I didn't have a security deposit, "unless I planned on trashing her room." She felt a reason to repeat it over and over, "do you plan on trashing my room? Should I take a deposit, are you going to trash my room?" Then it was time to explain this was a no smoking room --- you would think that's all she would say is "this is a non-smoking room" but NO -- she had to keep repeating herself and would say "is that going to be a problem" "There's no smoking aloud, are you going to smoke in my room?" I don't know who this lady is but after reading all the other reviews I can only guess it is the owner. The title of my review was going to be "WHAT A BIT#H! b/c that's the best way to explain it. I ended up asking for my drivers license and credit card back and I walked out. I refuse to give my hard earned money to a hotel that doesn't know how to welcome their guests. I strongly suggest to anyone staying in O.C. not to stay at Breakers, especially if you have children. This lady doesn't even know how to be nice to an adult, let alone a child! If we had stayed there, I can only imagine what other experiences I would be telling you about the old hag behind the counter yelling at my children. Within less than 5 minutes, this lady called me a liar, insinuated I was going to trash her hotel room and smoke inside a non-smoking hotel room! I don't care what the place looks like inside or how big the beds are -- I'll never stay somewhere I'm not welcome and this place was definitely unwelcoming!

Room Tip: Go somewhere else! I recommend the Harrison Hall - very cozy and right on the boardwalk!
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Kearneysville, West Virginia, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2013

This is our second year staying at the Breakers. First off, location is perfect. Right on boardwalk at 3rd st. We always stay in a oceanfront family suite. Beautiful balcony views. The rooms are very spacious. When you walk in to your room there will be a living area with fold out sofa bed. TV and tables in this room also. Small kitchen, large bathroom. Second living area with 2 king beds, very comfortable, and tv.. Have never seen a cleaner hotel. Not sure why some people commenting on the owner and employees being rude. We have never had a problem with the employees. They are always very welcoming and even give a beach ball to our daughter when we arrive. My husband also called ahead to have chocolate covered strawberries waiting in room for my birthday. Security is tight, you have to have a room key to use elevators past 2nd floor and they lock the doors at 2 am and then you have to call to be let in, but I like feeling safe. Pool on the 4th floor is not huge, but never busy while we were there. 2 parking lots, both about a block away. We love this hotel and can't wait for our 2014 trip.

Room Tip: Family oceanfront suites have gorgeous views.
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2013

Although on the surface the hotel's location appears very good and a few of the staff at
the front desks are somewhat friendly when we first checked in with our family and young children.
I have never encounter a hotel employee or hotel that was so obnoxious and completely the opposite of family fun and family friendly as their website suggests. The worst part was that the horrible service was rendered by the actual hotel's owner who was both vulgar, incompetent, and most of all evil and lacking a human heart compassion for her hotel's paying guests Blatantly. Here's an example: she openly shouted and rudely declared to us that it was not okay for our two year daughter who desperately need to go use the potty and the hotel's lavatory out of nowhere when we politely asked her to exercise some common courtesy for us...in light of the fact that we fully paid and were staying there for three full nights. Now this was on our first day of trying to enjoy the beach despite the abundance of Rainy Weather going on during our stay with hotel from hell. It is inexcusable that the leadership and ownership of this unfit establishment never showed any remorse for her dumbfounded ignorance and lack of
concern for the welfare and basic humanly empathy for a terrified little toddler who on her Birth Day of all days was not allowed to use the bathroom at the Hotel where her parents booked and completely paid the hotel stays balance in full upon first checking in!Please anyone who is thinking of staying or booking this poor excuse of a crappy business and very lame hotel to just avoid this place all together! We should all help support only the economics of good honest caring hard working Hotels that actually give a darn about the minimal happiness and comforts of their paying guest. Please don't make the same mistake that we did by giving the worst hotel in Ocean City, Maryland your hard earn money so that you and your love ones will also be subjected to unnecessary Trauma and Stress! God Bless and thanks for reading this review and heeding our sincere and from the heart alerts and warnings to possibly more future innocent victims.

Mahwah, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2013

Very nice NEW "seaside" boutique hotel in OC, right on the boardwalk on 3rd Street so the location is convenient, and easy access to the beach. The family suites are roomy and comfortable with queen size beds, and a sleep sofa in an adjoining room with a small kitchen. Staying in a standard room was a little tight for 2 adults and teenagers (they loved this location) but we were comfortable b/c the room size is spacious. The TV component was far away from the beds to see so a suggestion to the hotel would be to place a nice futon or chaise for comfort and even an extra sleeping chair! No place to hang beach towels, which we needed. The pool is a little small only 4-5 ft but after the beach, was relaxing. First and foremost, the service was excellent; check in was at 3 pm but they gave us access to the parking lot for the car and we were able to go right to the beach without worries to have a beach day when we arrived at noon. Check in staff continued to be "southern charming" (Darien and others) with their courtesy of our rainy day and made great suggestions for restaurants and shopping. We would definitely come back to stay at this hotel; cleanliness was of the upmost! They wanted to make sure we had the water key incase we needed it to wash sand off our feet before returning from beach. What a great surprise and so happy we stayed at the Breakers!

Room Tip: Room with out a view rate is lower on scale but did not really matter for us. We preferred not to be...
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2013 via mobile

I don't normally write reviews but this place by far has been the worst hotel I have ever stayed out. We were on the beach when my daughter, who just turned 3, needed to use the restroom. Unfortunately, my husband who had the room key just left to get food. So I rush into the hotel to ask if I could use their restroom on the main floor. First, the woman there kept ignoring me and when she finally acknowledged me, she started yelling at me. She said that I was rude and that there are customers there waiting and that there are no bathrooms there. I told her that I know for a fact that there is a bathroom because I used it yesterday and that I am a guest at this hotel. She finally gave me the key. And when I was done, I went to speak with the other lady at the front desk. I told her I wanted to speak with someone about how rude I was treated. The lady again started yelling at me and told me she was the manager... No actually.. she's the owner... I was floored. I cannot believe an establishment like this could be run by someone like her- extremely unprofessional. I could've just let my daughter pee on their floor which probably would've let her realize how ridiculous she was for not letting a child who is staying at their hotel use the restroom. And even as I was leaving, she muttered something nasty about me under her breathe. Worst experience ever!!! Please do NOT support such an horrendous establishment!

• Stayed August 2013
Rochester, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2013

This was our 5th year in a row at this hotel. The staff is exceptional in their friendliness and efficiency. The hotel is spotless and well maintained. We are made to feel like family and the best I can say is that after a couple of days there I usually forget about work, there is no higher compliment I can think of.

One note though, the hotel is not bargain priced but fairly priced for what it provides. Over my years of experience and travel I can tell you, you get what you pay for.

Going here will never be a mistake.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family

Been to The Breakers Hotel? Share your experiences!