“Best Asset is Location!” 3 of 5 stars
Review of The Breakers Hotel

We can't find prices for this hotel
The Breakers Hotel
3rd Street & Boardwalk, Ocean City, MD 21843   |
Ranked #27 of 106 hotels in Ocean City
buffalo
“Best Asset is Location!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2013

We travel often and I have submitted 70 reviews on this site. When we are at a hotel property, I continually evaluate and decide if we would return to that particular hotel. Before going to the Breaker's, I read all of the reviews and was well aware of certain issues. Knowing this, and after spending 6 days there, I still have mixed feelings about this hotel. Many reviewers have discussed the curt, unfriendly personality of the women at the front desk. There are 2 heavy-set women, and one younger lady. The younger lady was really nice. The older 2 heavier women, (who never introduced themselves), are definately unfriendly and show no warm personality to their customers at all. We stayed on the 2nd floor. We passed them approximately 30-40 times. The only acknowledgement that we got (with 4 children) was if we acknowledged them first. The hospitality business is more about just providing a clean, safe hotel. It has to be the entire package to make a customer want to return. The Pros of the hotel are definately the location and spacious size of the suites. The full security can be viewed as a pro or con to some. The locked stairwell doors and the extreme camera use is obviously for safety. However, not being able to exit to and from the boardwalk using the staircase was a bother to us because we were right next to the stairway. Also, having to use a key for the water spicket out the back of the hotel was extreme security. The definate Cons of this hotel beyond the front desk staff was the standing room only balcony (expected regular size) and the old tube television. I did ask the nice lady if the hotel has any near plans of converting over to flat screens and she did say no. We have stayed next door at The Park Place 5 previous visits. When I weigh the pros and cons of each property, I feel I would return to The Park Place before I would return to Breakers. This decision is primarily because of the attitude of the two women that operate this hotel. They will probably read this and say "Fine, go to Park Place." You have to know that the hospitality business is so difficult. Every customer looks for the "whole package." When the customer does not leave with a full satisfied feeling about the money they just spent, they do look elsewhere next time! As far as the boardwalk and the beach, great fun and clean! Beautiful beach!

Room Tip: 2nd floor rooms have best asscess to wi-fi

133 people have reviewed this hotel

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
Sykesville, Md
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2013 via mobile

My husband and I have stayed here several times and it's always nice! The rooms are spacious, well-decorated and spotlessly clean. The front desk staff is friendly and welcoming and the housekeeping ladies are AWESOME!! (Case in point... a sea gull had pooped on me one morning and when I returned to our room to change my clothes, I told the housekeeping ladies what had happened. After assuring me that such an incident is considered good luck, they gave me some Woolite to soak my clothes in, so I didn't have to take home poop-infested garments!).
Since the hotel is located right on the boardwalk (and over the Dough Roller restaurant), walking everywhere is certainly convenient!
Treat yourself to a stay here. You will NOT regret it!!

• Stayed July 2013
Cleveland, Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2013

Would have given 5 stars for excellent location, cleanliness, comfort, security & charming room, but could not get wifi in my room at all. Had to sit in floor lobby which was very inconvenient since I work remotely & needed regular access despite being on vacation. This could be a huge issue for some travelers. When I mentioned to front desk, a woman (possibly the owner based on another review) was curt, testy & unsympathetic. Said she would check router but couldn't fix it & that I should just sit in the lobby. An otherwise great stay with nice staff.

Room Tip: If you need wifi access, avoid room 406 or anything too far from the router in the floor lobby.
New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2013

Before booking a room at Breakers Hotel, my wife and I read as many reviews to get an idea of what we were getting ourselves into. We decided to take a chance and I'm glad we went with this hotel. For starters, the location is perfect. It's literally right on the boardwalk. The Dough Roller is basically located below the hotel and they serve breakfast, lunch and dinner. There are also many other restaurants in close proximity. Not to mention, the hotel is a few blocks away from an amusement park located on the boardwalk.

The hotel staff was very nice. The lady at the front desk had a motherly feel about her. Since it's not a major chain hotel, you actually get warmth from the front desk staff. We had our two year old son with us and stayed in a King Oceanview room. The room was pretty spacious, with a small refrigerator, a microwave and a standing room balcony. Overall, the room was very clean.

Security at the hotel seems to be a top priority. They have cameras everywhere. Once you're on the elevator, you can't access any floors other than the first floor and the second floor (where check in is located) unless you have your room key. Some may see this as an inconvenience, but I think it is a good safety precaution and had no issue with it.

The indoor pool is a bit small and is only four feet deep. During our stay, the workout room was closed because one of the machines was out of order. The workout room only has a total of four machines. If you like to workout on vacation, you can find an alternative or stay at another hotel.

I was surprised to see a projection/tube television in our room. I've grown used to flat screen televisions that I almost forgot what they looked like. Also, it may help to mention that the parking lot is about one block away from the hotel. There are two parking lots. The lot they consider their main lot should really be the overflow lot and vice versa. We parked in the overflow lot because we could actually see our car from our room and it is actually closer. The main lot was down the block and requires you to cross a busy street (Baltimore Ave).

Overall, we enjoyed our stay and we will gladly return the next time we're in Ocean City.

Room Tip: Try to get a room on the higher floors to avoid hearing noise from the boardwalk.
Tonawanda, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2013

The staff was very pleasant, it was our second time staying there , would highly recommend it, the rooms are spacious and clean. The only complaint I have which I don't think is the Breakers fault is the garbage can outside the entrance a few times walking into the hotel there was a very unpleasant odor.

Room Tip: Call early to book a room, we had a family suite without a balcony and it worked out just fine.
York, PA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2013

Hubby and I wanted a nice relaxing weekend at the beach. This place was recently remodeled and has a great location, and we didn't want to pay Hilton prices, so we settled on this place. Excellent location and it was clean. The staff was nice....but you can't avoid the strong musty smell throughout the place. Our room smelled horrible. We tried to get our room changed but apparently every room has that problem. There is definitely a mold issue that needs to be addressed.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Christiansburg, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2013

Just spent several days at The Breakers. Great choice. Really nice to be right on the boardwalk! The other comments about being such a clean place was absolutely right! My son, his wife and our 8 month old granddaughter were with us. I'm a clean freak and germ freak but had no problem with my granddaughter crawling around on the carpet. It was THAT CLEAN! We had a family suite on the side of the building and there was plenty of room for all of us. Very spacious room. One lady at the desk at check in seemed unfriendly, but the rest of the staff were nice. It is a bit expensive, but we felt it was worth it. We would go back, for sure!

Room Tip: The side balconies are very narrow, the width of a chair. Not really worth anything. I would try for...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family

Been to The Breakers Hotel? Share your experiences!