“starting to show wear and tear....” 3 of 5 stars
Review of The Breakers Hotel

We can't find prices for this hotel
The Breakers Hotel
Save Saved
You added The Breakers Hotel to your Saves list
3rd Street & Boardwalk, Ocean City, MD 21843   |
Ranked #38 of 107 hotels in Ocean City
Baltimore, Maryland
“starting to show wear and tear....”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2012

After staying at this hotel several times in the past I think it's starting to show wear and tear. We stayed in a oceanfront room (as in the past) although this time it was on the third floor. Sitting on our balcony you saw the top of the canopy for the Dough Roller restaurant which was disgusting and dirty. Definately should be cleaned for guests staying on this floor. Carpet had several noticable tears and worn spots. Hole in bathroom wall. Vanity mirror didn't light. Our card for entry in the room stopped working twice during our three day stay and we had to go to the desk for them to reactivate. Also second day of our stay the maid service skipped our room and when we came back at 530pm we had to call down and asked for it to be cleaned. No explanation given on why it was skipped. I think for the price of these rooms ($369 per day) updates need to start happening soon. Don't think I would stay here again. Location is great but the price just isn't worth it any longer....

Room Tip: if you are staying Ocean Front request floors 4 or 5 so that you can avoid the dirty dough roller ca...

141 people have reviewed this hotel

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (33)
Laughlintown, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2012

I will never at any other hotel in ocean city again!! The Breakers Hotel has extremely clean, spacious rooms, friendly staff, and an awesome location. It is smoke free, secure, and quiet. The staff is extremely pleasant. The day manager (love her but didn't get her name unfortunately), worked long hours and was always accommodating. A boiler broke which left us without hot water for a day (things happen), but she was there into the evening trying to solve the problem and felt terrible. Some complaints that i read were about the doors being locked at midnight. The entrance to the hotel is on a lower level that takes you immediately to elevators. The main desk is on the second floor. I totally understand why the doors are locked at midnight, and truly appreciate that. Anybody could enter without passing a desk. The upper floors require ur room key to operate since they dont pass the desk. Great idea! Ocean view is ok, the balconies are narrow so that chairs cannot face forward but rather face each other. Regardless, was covered and cozy and didn't share an opened iron wall with neighbors like so many hotels. The pool is indoors so that may be a negative for those who don't like sand and want to lounge at the pool. Not for me though. I felt like I could walk on the carpet and sit and use the bedspread (which was white) without any fear of bugs or germs. Not to mention the space! There were two closets, a dresser, end tables, a fully enclosed bathroom sink with drawers and shelves, a large dinette table and chairs, and room to walk around everything, even when the pull out sofa bed was in use! Parking (just an ally way over), is spacious and never completely full so you felt like you could actually drive somewhere and not have to fight for spot. I could see my car from my balcony. I have stayed at many hotels along the length of the boardwalk, including the highest rated and most expensive, and none compare to this hotel. I will never stay anyplace else again. Thank you for a great stay. Will definitely be back next year, last week of july, please reserve for me!

Maryland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2012

We didn't know what to expect for a last minute booking to celebrate my birthday, but had read the great reviews of the Breakers Hotel, so we figured we would be pleased. Well...not totally. At check in we had requested an oceanview room on a high floor. When my fiancé' checked in, she was told we were on the third floor - the first level of rooms - not high at all! When she asked for a higher floor, she was told, there were no rooms on higher floors available and came to get me with the bags and the key to the 3rd floor room. We went up to the room, and found it to be so low that all you could see off the balcony were buildings. If you leaned way over the balcony you could see a small piece of the beach. Be warned! This is considered oceanview! Not the view I expected so I insisted we go back to the clerk and ask for another room. Miraculously, a room on a higher floor was found! So after looking at the room on the 5th floor, we changed rooms. Although, we still had to look over the balcony to see the ocean, it was a better view of the ocean. However, either way, you have to lean over the balcony to see the oceanview. You can also see part of the bay.

After our first night, the hotel's hot water wasn't working throughout the hotel. We were told this was the first time that had ever happened and it was repaired by the following morning. The cold shower the first morning was not pleasant! BRRRR!

The front desk workers were pleasant and apologetic for the problems we encountered. The room was clean, the air conditioner is self regulated (which is always a plus), and the room contains both a refrigerator and a microwave. We had to call the front desk twice, however- once, because housekeeping did not clean the tub, and second because there was no hotel information book in the room. Housekeeping came back immediately to take care of the matter and someone from the check-in desk came upstairs to bring us the book.

Now to the good part...EXCELLENT location right on the board walk. A few doors down from Thrashers and 4 -5 blocks from the amusement park, you couldn't ask for a better location.

Although we had a good, but not great couple of days, we would not stay here again. There are better hotels with more of an oceanview and comparable prices.

Room Tip: High floor for better views of the ocean. Ocean front on a high floor to be further away from the no...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2012 via mobile

I was very happy with my stay at The Breakers. My husband and I booked the hotel last minute. Many of the hotels were booked. We payed a little more than we wanted to, but we were willing to pay more to get a clean hotel. We were very pleased. The decor was modern, the staff was very nice and friendly, the rooms were very clean, and the location was great. The Breakers is located right on the boardwalk. We had no problem finding a parking spot in their lot even though we checked in pretty late. They are big on security there. You need your room key to access the floors where your room is located and you have to call to be let in between the hours of 2-6 AM and they are very strict about guests. This is a good thing for some, but bad thing for others. Our only complaint is that we had trouble figuring out where we needed to go to check in as the front door is not very well marked. The other thing is make sure you are checked out by 11:00 because the room keys stop working at exactly 11:00 AM. However, I would definitely recommend this hotel!

• Stayed August 2012
baltimore
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2012

This is our second time staying here and had another GREAT experience. Beautifully maintained hotel with all the amenities you could ask for. he beds are so comfortable and the linens are beautiful. The staff is wonderful. It is so clean. Will never stay any where else.

Rochester, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2012

I must admit this was our 5th visit over the past 5 years, each for a weeks’ time. The staff is unbelievable (if I could wrap them up and take them home I would). They know the area, the best alternatives and are as helpful as you want them to be. They truly help make the stay enjoyable. The facility is clean as a whistle. The cleaning staff is excellent.
The rooms are large and those that overlook the ocean make the vacation. Please trust me, you cannot go wrong selecting this hotel. We will be back next year for our next summer vacation

Room Tip: We have rented rooms both overlooking the ocean and without a view. They are all excellent, but ove...
Raleigh, North Carolina, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2012

This hotel is in the best location and is immaculate. We stay here every year. We stay in an ocean-front suite and love to sit out on the balcony and watch the people & magician on the boardwalk below.

Room Tip: The ocean front suite is worth the extra money.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family

Been to The Breakers Hotel? Share your experiences!