“good, not great...” 3 of 5 stars
Review of The Breakers Hotel

We can't find prices for this hotel
The Breakers Hotel
3rd Street & Boardwalk, Ocean City, MD 21843   |
Ranked #35 of 107 hotels in Ocean City
Maryland
“good, not great...”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2012

We didn't know what to expect for a last minute booking to celebrate my birthday, but had read the great reviews of the Breakers Hotel, so we figured we would be pleased. Well...not totally. At check in we had requested an oceanview room on a high floor. When my fiancé' checked in, she was told we were on the third floor - the first level of rooms - not high at all! When she asked for a higher floor, she was told, there were no rooms on higher floors available and came to get me with the bags and the key to the 3rd floor room. We went up to the room, and found it to be so low that all you could see off the balcony were buildings. If you leaned way over the balcony you could see a small piece of the beach. Be warned! This is considered oceanview! Not the view I expected so I insisted we go back to the clerk and ask for another room. Miraculously, a room on a higher floor was found! So after looking at the room on the 5th floor, we changed rooms. Although, we still had to look over the balcony to see the ocean, it was a better view of the ocean. However, either way, you have to lean over the balcony to see the oceanview. You can also see part of the bay.

After our first night, the hotel's hot water wasn't working throughout the hotel. We were told this was the first time that had ever happened and it was repaired by the following morning. The cold shower the first morning was not pleasant! BRRRR!

The front desk workers were pleasant and apologetic for the problems we encountered. The room was clean, the air conditioner is self regulated (which is always a plus), and the room contains both a refrigerator and a microwave. We had to call the front desk twice, however- once, because housekeeping did not clean the tub, and second because there was no hotel information book in the room. Housekeeping came back immediately to take care of the matter and someone from the check-in desk came upstairs to bring us the book.

Now to the good part...EXCELLENT location right on the board walk. A few doors down from Thrashers and 4 -5 blocks from the amusement park, you couldn't ask for a better location.

Although we had a good, but not great couple of days, we would not stay here again. There are better hotels with more of an oceanview and comparable prices.

Room Tip: High floor for better views of the ocean. Ocean front on a high floor to be further away from the no...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple

135 people have reviewed this hotel

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2012 via mobile

I was very happy with my stay at The Breakers. My husband and I booked the hotel last minute. Many of the hotels were booked. We payed a little more than we wanted to, but we were willing to pay more to get a clean hotel. We were very pleased. The decor was modern, the staff was very nice and friendly, the rooms were very clean, and the location was great. The Breakers is located right on the boardwalk. We had no problem finding a parking spot in their lot even though we checked in pretty late. They are big on security there. You need your room key to access the floors where your room is located and you have to call to be let in between the hours of 2-6 AM and they are very strict about guests. This is a good thing for some, but bad thing for others. Our only complaint is that we had trouble figuring out where we needed to go to check in as the front door is not very well marked. The other thing is make sure you are checked out by 11:00 because the room keys stop working at exactly 11:00 AM. However, I would definitely recommend this hotel!

• Stayed August 2012
baltimore
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2012

This is our second time staying here and had another GREAT experience. Beautifully maintained hotel with all the amenities you could ask for. he beds are so comfortable and the linens are beautiful. The staff is wonderful. It is so clean. Will never stay any where else.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Rochester, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2012

I must admit this was our 5th visit over the past 5 years, each for a weeks’ time. The staff is unbelievable (if I could wrap them up and take them home I would). They know the area, the best alternatives and are as helpful as you want them to be. They truly help make the stay enjoyable. The facility is clean as a whistle. The cleaning staff is excellent.
The rooms are large and those that overlook the ocean make the vacation. Please trust me, you cannot go wrong selecting this hotel. We will be back next year for our next summer vacation

Room Tip: We have rented rooms both overlooking the ocean and without a view. They are all excellent, but ove...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Raleigh, North Carolina, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2012

This hotel is in the best location and is immaculate. We stay here every year. We stay in an ocean-front suite and love to sit out on the balcony and watch the people & magician on the boardwalk below.

Room Tip: The ocean front suite is worth the extra money.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2012 via mobile

This will be my second stay at the breakers and it definately won't be my last. The first thing I want to say is that you will not find a nicer, cleaner room in ocean city. The staff is unbelievably friendly. The rooms are very spacious. The beds are very comfortable. The bathroom has double bowel sinks and plenty of space for all of your things. I can't say enough good about this place and would definately recommend staying here if you like clean spacious well decorated rooms and a great location.

• Stayed June 2012
Cascade, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2012

Have been to OC many times and tried many hotels. Since the Dough Roller is one of our favorite places to eat we thought we would try the hotel. Best move we ever made. This is one of the nicest hotels on this end of the boardwalk. The rooms were clean, the whole place was great. I don't understand why people complained about the staff because I thought they were very pleasant. My daughter got ill about 8 pm and the desk clerks called every urgent care center in the area to find the closest one open. They even asked the next day how she was. This was my first time staying here and will probably be the only one I will ever stay at. Thanks to all involved there for our terrific stay.

Room Tip: Great ocean views from the oceanfront balconies!
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family

Been to The Breakers Hotel? Share your experiences!