“A great budget motel.” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #20 of 107 Hotels in Ocean City
Walden, New York
“A great budget motel.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2014

My partner and I stayed at The Barefoot Mailman Motel from 7/27 to 7/29, and truly enjoyed our brief time there. Rather than a long narrative, here are some succinct bullets:

PET FRIENDLY: We specifically chose "TBM" because it is a pet-friendly property. When we were there, there were many dogs along with ours. There were no noise problems from barking dogs, and the room did not have a pet odor at all!

LOCATION: This is important, folks: you are NOT on the famed Ocean City boardwalk. (The motel is on 35th Street, quite a distance away, but you can jump on the boardwalk tram located on 27th Street which takes you to the heart of the excitement. $3 per person, exact change only.) The beach is a 1/2 block away- very walkable. The beach itself is clean, quiet, and very family-oriented. Surrounding the motel are lots of restaurants and activities, such as mini golf and a small amusement park (a Jolly Roger park). Overall, I liked this location because it was quiet and not directly in the craziness of the boardwalk.

ROOM: We stayed in an efficiency room, complete with a refrigerator, two-burner stove, microwave and sink. Additionally they provide plates, bowls, silverware, and pots/pans. (Great for those looking to save some money on eating out.) The room was very clean, and again, not a pet smell anywhere. Two beds in the room, one queen, one king. Very comfortable! Each room has a small balcony seating area- the view is of the road, but it was totally fine. Yes, there are some things in the room that could be updated or replaced, but as a frequent traveler, I've found this to be true for all properties. Nothing egregious, therefore I won't nit-pick as others do. The main point is that the room was CLEAN and nicely decorated.

POOL: Though we chose the beach over the pool, I can still report it was clean and very well maintained.

STAFF: Very friendly and accommodating. A special thanks to Jessica for her tips and recommendations on restaurants that are pet-friendly. I've learned over the years to always ask the locals for their favorite places to eat, and it worked again this time.

OVERALL: This is a budget motel. However, its cleanliness, location and affable staff make it great. I would recommend this to anyone looking to visit Ocean City who wants a nice place to lay his head at night without breaking the bank.

Room Tip: Choose an efficiency room if you wish to save money on eating out. Everything one needs is there.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (39)
Berkley, Michigan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2014

My companion and I stayed here for three days in July and I have to say this is one the best efficiencies I've ever stayed at. The hotel looks plain from the outside but the room is really nice and the kitchenette was great. New appliances including a two burner halogen cooktop and a microwave/convection/range hood. Pots and pans were included as well as a basic selection of cookware. The beds were comfortable, the bathroom clean and bright. Pet friendly. Would stay here again no question.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Owings, Maryland, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2014

This hotel was in a great location, within walking distance of pizza, sushi, and a great little restaurant. The beach was just a few steps away. The rooms were clean, the beds were comfortable and the cleaning staff was awesome. The place was also extremely quiet. Rooms were a little pricey but I was in a pinch with my 4 month old puppy that I could not board until he was six months old. Will definitely come back.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Merrifield, Virginia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2014

We chose this hotel because it was the most affordable option that would allow us to bring our dog. The hotel is old and it looks old but the rooms and pool are clean. The staff was friendly and the beach is only one block away. I think the price should have been cheaper. Would I choose this hotel again? Probably not, but it did serve it's purpose for a quick overnight stay!

Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Chambersburg, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2014

this was our third trip to the barefoot mailman, they are truly pet friendly, our dogs will not walk past the office without stopping in for a treat from one of the front desk people, the rooms are very clean and the king sized bed is better than the one we have at home. anything that I have ever asked, from directions to restaurant suggestions has been answered with a smile. thisd is the only place we will stay in ocean city

Room Tip: we were on the 3rd floor great view
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
State college pa
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2014 via mobile

First time at the barefoot mailman with my family and my dog! From the moment of arrival the front desk staff were incredibly helpful and playful with our dog including giving him treats!
We arrived to our room and were greeted by not a pet smell but a lovely clean fresh smell. Beds are super comfy!
This will definitely not be our last stay here, never have I been treated like family in a new place before. My family and I really enjoyed the barefoot mailman!

• Stayed May 2014
Richmond Hill, New York
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2014

Stayed at this hotel for a weekend getaway. Ocean City is a great place to visit however; do not stay at this hotel. The staff was very rude and the receptionist couldn't be more difficult. We stood out because "we aren't the typical race around us" and I strongly believe this is why we were treated differently. I would never recommend this hotel and will never return. Thanks for allowing me to see this first hand so we wouldn't make this mistake again.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled on business

Been to Barefoot Mailman? Share your experiences!