We booked this hotel for a last minute 3-night beach stay in August. We mainly chose it based on budget ($169/night) and availability. On the good side, the location is great, right in the middle of the boardwalk. When we had issues, (mainly with parking), the management did help out with it. My overall impression of the place, including the lobby, the halls, and the room, is that it was dark and dingy....as in there was no obvious dirt, but it's hard to tell with the old dark carpeting and low lighting. The room was VERY small and everything in it seemed very old. The bathroom was very small (and very blue!), but it did seem clean. No separate sink area outside, just your basic bathroom. There was an overwhelming smell when we first walked in the room (like an orange-scented cleaning liquid). I was happy to smell some evidence of cleaning, I swear I could still smell the place when we came home and did laundry yesterday. None of the rooms have their own balcony, which I would have preferred (esp. to try towels and bathing suits…)
Our biggest issue was with parking. There are a few (about 4) parking spaces right out in front of the hotel, and they give you a parking pass for their lot, but the "lot" in a nightmare. There is a row on the left of diagonal spaces and a row on the right of straight-in spaces, with VERY little space between to maneuver, so you have to back all the way out of the lot when you back your car out. There were two nights when we came back and only the last space on the right was open, and there was no way we could get our minivan back out if we parked it there. We went in to the manager to ask about other options. First he said we could just leave it parked in the loading/check-in circle and leave our keys with him (?????) so he could park it when a space opened . Then he told us about a lot 2 blocks away (across a busy street), but then eventually he said we could just stay parked in the circle, and would come knock on our door when another space opened - that's what we did, but my husband saw out our window that someone else pulling out from one of the spaces in the "lot" so he went out and moved it. The next night, one of the 4 spaces in front opened up just after we (again) had gone to the manager to see if we could leave the car in the circle again, so we took that spot. Both nights it was about 9:30 or so.
While we were there, I definitely found myself having "hotel envy", looking around at other, seemingly better places to stay, with individual balconies (as opposed to the common balconies at the Safari), and with better parking. Only other issue was no phone in the room; that seemed very strange. Obviously everyone has cell phones for personal use, but when I came back in the room from putting something in the car and my husband said "we don't have enough towels for all of us" and I asked if he had called the front desk, I had to laugh when he looked around and said "there's no phone!" (Thankfully, housekeeping staff was still down the hall and were very accommodating when I asked for a towel -they even brought the vacuum back in because my son spilled sand from his bathing suit all over the carpet after they had already cleaned our room.)
- Also Known As:
- Safari Motel Boardwalk Hotel
- Safari Motel Boardwalk Hotel Ocean City
- Safari Motel Ocean City
- Safari Hotel Ocean City
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Safari Motel offers a unique lodging experience that includes clean, comfortable, and affordable rooms. Start your day with our complimentary coffee and tea service at the lobby or relax at our common oceanfront balconies overlooking the Atlantic Ocean and the Boardwalk. Booking at the Safari Motel, you will enjoy courteous personalized service and a welcoming home away from home atmosphere. We are a pet friendly motel (limited availability & fee.) ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Priceline, Expedia, Travelocity, TripOnline SA and Otel so you can book your Safari Motel Boardwalk reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.