“Great place to stay! We will be back” 4 of 5 stars

Safari Motel Boardwalk
2.0 of 5 Motel   |   1 13th Street and Boardwalk, Ocean City, MD 21842   |
Ranked #27 of 107 hotels in Ocean City
Fairfield, Iowa
“Great place to stay! We will be back”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2013

First of all, I will start with the negative. The rooms are a bit small. They have two queen size beds and are a bit cramped. But since you're on the boardwalk in Ocean City, you shouldn't really be spending too much time in the room in any case. Also, the rooms have a small fridge which is nice, but no microwave. That would make them better. Now the positive. The staff keeps the hotel spotless. My family had two rooms and both the rooms themselves and bathrooms were spotlessly clean and although the decor is pure 1960s beach motel - which I loved - everything looked fresh and new; paint, carpet, bathroom tile, etc. The staff was also friendly, relaxed and helpful.

Since they allow dogs and I'm not a dog person, I was a little concerned about that. It turned out to be a non-issue. The dog rooms on the lower floors and we were on the fourth. We never heard a bark at night or any other time. In fact, the walls appear to be pretty thick as my kids were right next door and I never head any sound coming from their room either.

The location is perfect in my view, right on the boardwalk, a little removed from the hubbub and crush farther down the boards but not so far removed is to require too much walking to go down to the end. Just north of the Safari is the Beach Plaza Hotel with its big porch and rocking chairs. Just south are three old-style wood frame beach houses. So what you have got is a little one block slice of old Ocean City with the Safari in the middle. I love that. It's what I grew up with and I find those big condos that have popped up all over the place annoying. I'm glad places like the Safari, Beach Plaza, Majestic, etc are still around and it's a pleasure to see the Safari so well maintained. Would definitely recommend to anyone on a budget or not looking for spacious luxury or private balcony, just a nice traditional, comfortable stay on the boards in OC

Room Tip: As you can tell from the picture, there are no rooms that face the ocean directly. Rooms on the th...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family

125 people have reviewed this hotel

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
new jersey
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

We decided to take a family vacation and when I say "family" I mean the dog too! So I chose this motel based on the fact that they welcome dogs and not many do.
I have very mixed emotions about this motel. It's wasn't bad but it also wasn't great. I think the value is good. Great location right at the beginning of the boardwalk and just steps away from the beach. Lots of options for food within walking distance.
The rooms were very clean. They had about 5 cleaning ladies to every one room. They cleaned every nook and cranny morning, noon and night. We asked to not have maid service because I didn't know how the dog would react when we were away and they respected that and left us clean towels by the door. As for the motel itself, it could use a little updating.
Pet friendly rooms are located on the bottom floor.Small, but did fit a large crate for the dog. 2 double beds. Old school tv. No channels and hardly any lighting. Also we could never open our blinds because we faced the road by the boardwalk where people passed by all day and night. The rooms were a little depressing and we had to go back often to check on the dog, since he is not allowed on the beach or the boardwalk. Assateague island is 15 minutes away and the dogs are allowed there. That was a fun day! Shared the beach with wild ponies!
Also I didn't really feel the "friendliness" for pets in this motel. There is no place to walk the dogs that are grassy. Lots of open parking lots. I also thought it would be a nice touch to offer some dog treats. They do offer free coffee all day for patrons why not offer cookies for the dogs.
Also it was loud. Techno music played till about midnight. Pretty sure it was coming from the store that is located right in front of the building. The first night I was about to complain because I thought someone was throwing a loud party but after the 2nd night I realized that wasn't the case and just dealt with it. Dogs also barking all day and walls are paper thin.
Like I said its a good value. But when you search hotels in ocean city Md there are about 600 to choose from. I would only choose this one again if I was taking my dog along for vacation.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2013

We bookec s last minute trip to Ocean City, including our two dogs. We usually stay further north, but pet friendliness was limited, so we took a chance on staying on the boardwalk at the Safari and are so happy we did! The staff was super accomodating and it was very quiet for being both dog friendly and on the boardwalk. The location was ideal with having children for getting meals and such. The only cons to the whole trip would have to be there were only about 5 tv channels to watch, so if you are someone that that is important to you might be disappointed. Also for being pet friendly there really is no area to walk your dog. We had to get a little creative! But all in all a great expierience; we would definitely stay again.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2013 via mobile

Safari motel is the best kept secret in where to stay in OCMD. Great room rates for the location!! The location on the boardwalk is perfect. The owners and staff go above and beyond to make your stay wonderful. The rooms are so clean and neat. Everyone is so friendly and greets you with a warm and welcoming smile as soon as you arrive. There is free fresh coffee and tea in the lobby daily! They are very helpful in providing directions and recommendations to all the local hot spots and restaurants.
Definitely will stay here again. Thanks for a wonderful and comfortable stay! JG

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2013

My friends and I went to OC as a spontaneous trip. We called Safari and booked a one bedroom, 2 bed room. Upon arrival (8 hours later) the man behind the desk seemed to have "lost our room" for a moment. He said he wasn't expecting us.

We got our room and it was CLEAN! I could not find a single thing wrong with the room, beds, or bathroom. We all got changed and hit the beach/boardwalk for the day.

I've seen on the reviews last year that they did not allow guest and we put the rumor to the test and brought back some "guest" and they didn't have a problem with it. We walked right pass the man at the desk smiled and said hello and he returned the friendly gesture.

That night I did notice that a man did pace the hallways like he was doing surveillance which I found was very peculiar. But its i'm sure they have had some experiences in the past to make them do such rotations.

We did not spend a whole lot of time in the motel but our stay was pretty pleasant.

Treat the staff friendly, be kind and you shall receive the same.

Room Tip: The website said it was an ocean front with a view.. it sadly only has public balconies that you mus...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2013 via mobile

Older decor, but very clean room. Sheets and pillow cases clean and enough of a bleach smell to make me happy. One of only a few that allow dogs, so I was hesitant. No need to be. Our room had large tile instead of carpet so no worry of fleas. Employees all very nice, friendly, and helpful. Bottom line for me is cleanliness. I will stay again.

• Stayed May 2013
hanover twp
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2013

I would like to take some time to tell you of the wonderful New Year I had in Ocean City MD. It started by staying at the Safari Motel Boardwalk, the owner and his family treat us with kindness and friendship. It is also a pet friendly hotel. Our dogs are always treated with the upmost kindness. It is located right on the boardwalk. There is public transportation by bus. By staying in Ocean City and watching the sunrise on New Years Day it is the most relaxing and peaceful feeling in the world. There was fireworks on New Years Eve this year and of course the Polar Bear Swim on New Years Day. The restaurants have the best seafood around and the boardwalk has lots to do including shopping, walking and bicylcing. We spent Thanksgiving week there as well, the staff at the Safari Motel treats people with kindness and respect. I would never think of spending a vacation at any other hotel. This hotel has a clean, kind and wonderful staff. I can honestly say that we have been coming to this hotel for around 17yrs about six times a year or more and I have never had a bad experience. If it was not such a great location, clean and comfortable , friendly and pet friendly of course enviroment we would not keep coming back. I found some of our first Xmas ornaments when I was putting up our Xmas tree this yr and they go back to 1994 with the Winterfest of Lights train ride, where we bought them. To experience OC MD and stay at the Safari Hotel is one of the best and worthwhile experiences for a Peaceful , Relaxing Vacation anytime of year.Thanks Safari Hotel, from Al, Cecelia, Eddie and Starr Shemanski. Happy New Year to all of you as you Have Made it a Very Happy New Year Again for Us.

Room Tip: rooms on the bottom floors are great if you have pets, for easy acess to the out doors.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Safari Motel Boardwalk? Share your experiences!