“Relaxed OceanGetaway” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #33 of 108 Hotels in Ocean City
hanover twp
“Relaxed OceanGetaway”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2011

I would like to tell you about the excellent time Al and our dogs, Starr and Eddie, had at the beach. I can not say enough about the Courteous, Clean, Comfortable and Best Location to stay on the boardwalk. The owners and staff are very people and pet friendly. Without this hotel we could not bring our dogs to the beach and be able to enjoy ourselves with such a stress free Vacation. We have been a longtime beach fans for aprox 17yrs of this hotel and beach. This winter in Pa was extremely difficult for us due to weather and family loss. However, the past week at the beach, helped us to unwind and relax and the staff at the Safari helped to make our trip the enjoyable vacation that it was. We can not wait to go back. The hotel is located right on the boardwalk it is clean and restaurants, shops and bikes or just walkin is within easy reach and of course watchin the Beautiful sunrise is as easy as lookin out the window or sittin on the bench right out the door of the hotel. OF course the beach is just a skip away. I would recommend this hotel for anyone who wants a BEAUTIFUL BEACH VACATION GETAWAY. I can not say enough for this hotel and staff but I suggest that YOU Check it out for yourself , and of course, if you have pets , it is an added plus because it IS THE BEST PET FRIENDLY HOTEL ON THE BOARDS, MY PETS GUARANTEE. Lookin forward to next trip there in couple months.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
Hampstead, Maryland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2011

We stayed at the Safari Motel over the Easter weekend. We chose the Safari motel after reading on the message boards that they were pet friendly and our usual spot (Barefoot Mailman) was under new management. When we reserved there was a disclaimer that pets must be under 25 lbs but when we called they said it was not an issue to bring our definitely larger than 25 lb Golden Retriever.

The location for Safari Motel is ideal. It is right in the middle of the boardwalk. You can walk north for about 15 blocks where it is a bit calmer or 15 block south toward the hustle and bustling inlet. There are 2 buildings for Safari Motel - the main building and another one across the alley. We stayed in the blue building across the alley.

Amenities wise, Safari is basic. There is no pool, no continental breakfast, no Internet access, window unit AC, and small 19" CRT TVs. The room we were in did have a microwave and mini fridge. We stayed in a double room, which was surprisingly clean considering the age of the place. As with much at the Safari, the furnishings seemed old and could use an update. The beds were of average comfort and water pressure was sufficient. Our room (#34) had a few minor issues - the remote for the TV didn't work great (had to mash the buttons down) and the bathroom door did not fully close (see picture).

Parking was fine for the Easter weekend. There are approximately 6 spots in front of the blue building as well as a larger lot next to the building. I can see that during the peak season it may get a little tight though. The front desk staff was friendly. Maid service came but but they didn't do a very good job. They tossed the soap that we were using and only left 1 bar (for hand washing and showering), did not leave an extra TP and tossed out the left over dog food left in my dog's bowl.

Overall, I would recommend the Safari for budget conscious travels looking for a no frills room. It certainly is a decent option for those traveling with pets if you don't mind forgoing some of the more modern amenities.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
Carlisle, Pennsylvania
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2011

The location of the hotel is great. Right on the Boardwalk. They allowed us to park our Harley Davidson right by the front door on the side walk. The management was nice. The room though was VERY small and right by the front door so you could hear everything everyone was saying. The door to our room looked like a dog had chewed the bottom of it and you could see through to the outside floor! They didn't clean the rooms very well either. When we got there, there was hair all over the tub and bathroom sink. There was also sand on the floor as you walked in. I personally wouldn't stay there again.

hanover twp
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2010

I am writing to share my opinion on my most recent vacation to Ocean City Md. I would like to thank all the staff at theSafari Motel for another wonderful and peaceful vacation. I cannot say enough about the kindness of the staff and owners of this hotel. I have stayed this year January, for New Years, Easter and May for Springfest and Now most recently for ten nights for Sunfest and Winefest. I recently lost my one dog in May after we came back from OC and this was my first trip without her. I still have one dog , Eddie, that we took this past vacation in September and even though I was saddened without her at the beach, the personnel staff at this hotel made my vacation very relaxing and help to cheer me up. My Daughter came for only the weekend three with her husband and son and the hotel staff wasalso very graciousto her and her family. The hotel has hot beverages complimentary all day and night, Clean rooms and linens.,very gracious staff, and an exceptioanal Location right on the boardwalk. I cannont wait for my next trip which will be for Thanksgiving. I would personally, like to Thank Arthur, Marie, Irwine, Leehay, Yolanda And any other Staff Personnel, For Another Exceptional Vacation.ON. There is no other place I would ever stay when in Ocean City, Md becayse these people make me and my husband, Al and our dog, Eddie feel like family and like we are at home.

towson,md
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2010

we have stayed here for the last 10 or so years. The motel offers a no frills room which is ultra clean and well maintained. The mini fridge is definitely a plus,but we take a cooler for our beverages(there's free ice in the lobby). We take our dog with us and this is one of the few motels which accepts pets in OC. Did I mention how CLEAN the place is? Fresh linen and towels everyday! The location is perfect--quiet and steps to the boards and beach. Free Coffee/tea in the lobby 24/7! Arthur, Irving and the rest of the staff will go out of their way to make your stay a good one. We love the Safari and will continue to go there.

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2010

First-Time Stay, with much apprehension as this is one of the few ocean-front hotels that accept your pet. The Staff at the Safari are KIND, and no doubt, pet-lovers. They go above and beyond to make sure guests are comfortable, (as well as their furry children). The Location is Stellar (just steps to the boardwalk). I am one of those obsessive people who can NOT SLEEP in a dirty room, You will see people CLEANING AND SPRUCING UP here, Very Attentive to Cleanliness. You can't beat this older Hotel for Price and Value, the rooms that accept pets are tile floored, which is brilliant. Bravo to the Safari, you can teach an old-dog new tricks!

4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2010

I was very pleased with my stay at the Safari Motel. What initially attracted me to the hotel was that it was pet friendly and the only people I trusted with my pet were traveling with us.

Our room was located in a 3 story building directly behind the hotel. Just about everyone there had a dog which made me feel right at home, but I was a little worried that the rooms would not be clean. I was very surprised to find the rooms not only were clean, but had no trace whatsoever of previous furry visitors. No smell, no pet hair, nothing! The rooms admittedly need a little updating, but if you're looking for a clean place to stay with your pet, this is it!!

The front desk staff were incredibly friendly and willing to help with whatever you need.

The Safari Motel is literally right on the Boardwalk - right next to the Phillips restaurant/hotel on the beach, where we had an exceptional (but expensive) meal.

Just a couple of things to be aware of before your visit: only one car per room gets a parking permit with the hotel, so you're going to have to find parking for additional cars. We just parked on a side street during the wee hours of the morning. Also, you may want to bring your own pillows since they ones they provide are pretty flat.

I will definitely be returning to this place and reccommending it to my pet-loving friends!

• Stayed September 2010, traveled with family

Been to Safari Motel Boardwalk? Share your experiences!