“Ghetto fabulous” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #104 of 107 hotels in Ocean City
Ridley Park, Pennsylvania
“Ghetto fabulous”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2012

If they fixed this place up it would be nice.
Great location on 20th street across from Phillips. One block walk to the ocean.

--the Pool area--
Dirty fountain in the pool area. Lovely shade of light brown water.
Broken lounge chairs in the pool area. Right where your butt would sit, there are not slats on the chairs.
Dead plants in the pool area.
Large and clean pool.
The tables and chairs are a mismatch, umbrellas are somewhat tattered. Empty planters are used as ashtrays.
Smoker friendly.

--perimeter of the hotel--
Needs sweeping. Trash, debris, cigarette butts, etc...general litter.

--The motel itself, the room--
First thing I noticed was the wood on the door near the locks, it appeared as if it had been broken into by the cops or someone wanted in real bad. Chunks of wood missing.
The room was cool, functional AC.
I saw no bugs.
Maid service was a joke. Towels scarce, bring your own.
The linens were dated and the maid doesn't make beds well. No fitted sheets and she doesn't know how to do hospital corners. Prepare to remake your bed.
No carpet, just bare floor tile and that's ok if it was clean. Wear your flip flops while walking.
There was a stove in our room. Electric and rusty on the top. Inside the cabinets were pots and pans, but the cabinets were filthy, so wash the pots and pans WELL before you use them. Best if you don't attempt it.
Wood paneling on the walls circa 1970. Mismatched light fixtures. Broken lampshades.
Poor choice of tv channels.
Remote didn't work and had no back over the batteries. We found the remote on day 2 under the bed.
Under the bed...belongings that didn't belong to us. The maid doesn't clean under the bed.
Table and 4 mismatched chairs of various shapes and sizes.
NO WATER PRESSURE to speak of for a shower.
Dated and difficult to use faucets, especially graduating between hot and cold.
Windows could use a good washing. Marked and spotty.
Bathroom could use a really good scrubbing.
The entire room could have benefitted from a bleach bath.
Drawers in the dresser were broken and fell off the track. Just leave your things in a bag please.
No hospitality at all whatsoever.
No wifi signal to speak of even though it is clearly stated 'free wifi'.
The best part about this motel was the pier and the docks, which you can go crabbing or fishing off of. The kids loved that and feeding the ducks that swam in there.
I'd recommend this if you are spending 99% of your time OUT of the room or if you are on a NONEXISTANT budget.

115 people have reviewed this hotel

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
Mt Airy, MD
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2012

While this motel is certainly a deal and sometimes you get what you pay for, I have to say that I was a little disappointed with this motel and would not recommend it to anyone. While the room was fairly clean, there were a few things that I would recommend they fix. There were very few outlets in this room. We had to decide between watching TV and having a light on. I also had to dry my hair in the kitchen area. Our toilet was very wobbly so it was difficult to sit on (especially my young children), the tub did not have a stopper so my 5 year old had to take a shower (which she hates!), the shower did not have a shower head, just a pipe coming out of the wall with very low water pressure to get the sand off. I would recommend you bring your own towels since they only give you tiny ones that barely cover a body. The dead bolt on the door did not work and the door barely fits into the jam so everyone would slam their doors to get them closed. The pool was in very bad condition, broken tiles, non working fountain, etc. This motel is also on the bay side so you do have to walk across Coastal Highway to get to the beach. If you have small children, be aware of this. Wouldn't recommend to anyone except maybe a college student who wants a cheap vacation and doesn't care much about location.

Akron, Ohio
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2012

My husband and I reserved a room here through Priceline. What a mistake!! I wanted to check out the room first, to my horror, the room had no electricity, ants crawling on dresser, cockroaches in bathroom, smelled like a sewer, dirty sheets, dirty floors. When I informed the owner/clerk I could not stay in such a place, I was told she would be charging me for the first night. When I called my credit card company in front of her and they wanted to speak to her, she said no, she was use to this and she would be getting her money! So, believe me, you do not want to stay at this place. It should be torn down.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Abbottstown, Pennsylvania
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2012

PLEASE, by all means CHECK OUT YOUR ROOM FIRST BEFORE YOU PAY, all rooms are musty and mildewed no coffee,or ice , BAD, BAD i called health dept, and wanted to know how can they rent rooms like this,we bought 3 cans of llysol to kill the odor ,and the mattress you sleep on is a piece of rotten foam 2inches,no fitted sheets, only straight ones as soon as you move your on plastic,,,

South Lake Tahoe, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2012

My wife, pre-teen son and I stayed at this deplorable motel. The lady behind the desk in the office was rude. There were only two towels in the bathroom and my wife had to use the towel she used after showering as a floor mat. I went to ask for additional towels and the mean lady said that towels will be available next morning. We had wet used towels outside on the corner of our room and the entrance rug to our room was wrapped in a ball and soaked and dirty. The sink backed up when people in the room above us used water. GROSS!!! and it was a challenge to flush the toilet!!! Took this motel off my favorites!!! Too bad I did not read the reviews before I finalize my reservations. Only good thing about the place is the marina behind the motel. Actually, a nice view.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2012

My best friend and I were just in OC last week. We booked this place because of the price and the fact that they had an outdoor pool.
We check in, and the lady behind the desk was very unpleasant. As soon as we opened the room, this HORRIBLE odor of mold/mildew hits you! There were flies in our room. Also after being in there for 5 mins, our toilet started to overflow. I went to the office to complain and the same nasty lady behind the counter hands ME a plunger! Im sorry, did I not just hand you 500 dollars? Thats YOUR Job!!! Our towels and swimsuits never dried because of how damp the room was. Walls and ceiling were paper thin. Tiny TV. The carpets were filthy. The mattress was thin. You never knew if the shower was going to be hot or cold. There were NO outlets to plug in phone chargers, etc. And to top it off, I now have some sort of rash on my back. When people say you get what you paid for? NO...I got way LESS than that! DO NOT GO TO THIS Motel. Never AGAIN! I will spend the extra money!

Room Tip: pay the extra money!
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
Bowie, Maryland
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2012

I hastily (and unwisely) booked a room at this place based on the price, then read the reviews. I was horrified, but others told me to go into this with an open mind. My husband said, "You've probably freaked yourself out to the point that you will end up liking it."

Ugh. I wish that was the case. It was just as gross, dirty, broken, and loud as people said.

The door had been halfheartedly repaired with a piece of cheap plastic and the deadbolt didn't work. When we walked into the room, it smelled like stale urine. The mirror was rusting. The shower curtain was covered in mold. The carpet and furniture were stained. Everyone brought their own bedding - I was in a sleeping bag and my sisters and niece brought their own sheets and blankets.

There were no towels, but we didn't bother asking for them because a) I brought my own towel just in case and b) I wouldn't want to use their towels anyway based on how dirty everything else was.

At around 2am, all four of us sat up in bed to the sound of what sounded like bodies slamming into the walls and animal noises. Our lovely young neighbors were having a drunk party that clearly spilled out onto our side of the building - they were hanging out right outside our window/door and were shaking the windows. My sisters and I were too scared to leave the room for fear of being bodyslammed ourselves.

After a horrible night's sleep, I woke up early and came outside on the balcony to a lovely display of cigarette butts, a beer bottle, and an empty Pepsi bottle with cigarettes floating in it.

Needless to say, I will not be staying at this little piece of hell EVER again.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family

Been to The Islander Motel? Share your experiences!