“Just as bad as we feared ...” 2 of 5 stars

The Islander Motel
1.5 of 5 Motel   |   2001 Philadelphia Avenue, Ocean City, MD 21842   |
Ranked #103 of 106 hotels in Ocean City
Bowie, Maryland
“Just as bad as we feared ...”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2012

I hastily (and unwisely) booked a room at this place based on the price, then read the reviews. I was horrified, but others told me to go into this with an open mind. My husband said, "You've probably freaked yourself out to the point that you will end up liking it."

Ugh. I wish that was the case. It was just as gross, dirty, broken, and loud as people said.

The door had been halfheartedly repaired with a piece of cheap plastic and the deadbolt didn't work. When we walked into the room, it smelled like stale urine. The mirror was rusting. The shower curtain was covered in mold. The carpet and furniture were stained. Everyone brought their own bedding - I was in a sleeping bag and my sisters and niece brought their own sheets and blankets.

There were no towels, but we didn't bother asking for them because a) I brought my own towel just in case and b) I wouldn't want to use their towels anyway based on how dirty everything else was.

At around 2am, all four of us sat up in bed to the sound of what sounded like bodies slamming into the walls and animal noises. Our lovely young neighbors were having a drunk party that clearly spilled out onto our side of the building - they were hanging out right outside our window/door and were shaking the windows. My sisters and I were too scared to leave the room for fear of being bodyslammed ourselves.

After a horrible night's sleep, I woke up early and came outside on the balcony to a lovely display of cigarette butts, a beer bottle, and an empty Pepsi bottle with cigarettes floating in it.

Needless to say, I will not be staying at this little piece of hell EVER again.

95 people have reviewed this hotel

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
Binghamton,NY
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2012

For the price of the Hotel compared to other O.C. Hotels it's a steal! I almost feel guilty for paying the amount I did ! The room was great and looked recently re-done and the maids kept it super clean and re-stocked with towels, soap and bathroom tissue. the pool was awesome and I enjoyed relaxing in the sun there! The hotel conveinately located near a bus stop so if you like to have a couple of drinks on vacation like I do, you can ride the bus to anything you desire without worry of a DUI . The staff was very friendly and helpful and no matter what time of day or night it was , you found someone keeping the grounds clean. There were soda and water machines at the hotel but I would recommend bringing cases of your own. For breakfast and lunch I would recommend the Brass Balls on the boardwalk between 10th and 12th st's . Or for convenance Dunkin Donuts is across the street and Mc Donalds is 2 blocks North . For the best Rib's in the world try Nick's on about 145th street .for the best crab cakes try Captain's Galley 2 , take route 50 west then left on Golf Course Road. I had a great time at The Islander and will stay there every time I visit O.C.

Scranton, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2012

The room was very clean and recently remodeled, the air conditioner worked well . The staff was very friendly and efficient and catered to all our needs , towels , taking garbage cleaning the room and they kept the grounds Immaculate ! Plus the Islander is very close to food : the popular Phillips Sea Food Restaurant is right across the street . A McDonalds is very close along with a CVS. Across the Street their is a beer and wine store , a Dunkin Donuts and a Pizza Place. The infamous party block is a close walk and for the more mature partiers there is Fish Tails which is behind the hotel on the bay side . The pool at the Islander is very clean and well maintained . The Ocean and the boardwalk are a short stroll from the hotel also . I really enjoyed my stay at the Islander and can't wait to stay again!!

Room Tip: We liked room 205 it overlooked the pool .
Woodbridge, Virginia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2012

When checking in, the front desk lady was rude. Our room smelled as if it were clean, but it was not. Bathroom curtain ripped, the floors/carpet were dirty (you can see the black on our socks). The AC was working, but the vents were EXTREMELY filthy. I purchased cleaning products from CVS and cleaned it myself. I could not afford to look else where, so I cleaned the entire room/bathroom for myself and my 3 young children.
The WiFi sucked or none(need to be near office), no telephone in room, no icemakers around, and very few TV channels worked.
Will NEVER, EVER stay here and definitly NOT RECOMMEND this motel.

Newark, Delaware
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2012

We visited this hotel a few times in the past,12 years later and the rooms look the same, no improvements or renovations at all. The only good thing is the pool and its withing walking distance to the beach and some eaterys, otherwise even the pool lounge chairs are falling apart. The beds are thin and shabby (good thing we had our air matress in the trunk- put it on the bed), the rooms are musty, the kitchenettes are rusty and old. For $199 a night they should at least renovate a little,

Severn, Maryland
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2012

OMG i have never stayed in a motel so filthy in my life. My 3 kids and i had a horrible experience.
First i was rushing to complete my homework that is due Friday night was told they had free WiFi
come to find out the manager told me that the room i was staying does not receive signal; was extremely pissed off.
I tried to calm down because of my kids trying to make the best of the weekend, we went out came back after a walk on the beach to find out there is no hot water we had to take a cold shower.
No apologies from the manager, worst customer service i have ever experienced.
Please vacationers going to OC do not stay at the Islander motel.

1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2012

Terrible place to stay.
Rooms are extremily dirty and stinky.
Rooms have a lot of ants.
No towels inside the roons
No WiFi in the rooms...at the front desk,they told me that the only place is around the office...don't make a sence.
At every "place" I stayed, the late check out is at 12pm and free...they told me that late check out is $35 extra, not kidding.
Refrigirator barely working.
Dirty carpets
Front desk service are terrible and not help with any concern.
The spa next to the pool...not working.
Batteries for remote controls...not working.
Electric stove...barely working.
Terrible place...terrible.

Stayed July 2012, traveled with family

Been to The Islander Motel? Share your experiences!