“"Great Bang for the Buck"!” 5 of 5 stars

The Islander Motel
1.5 of 5 Motel   |   2001 Philadelphia Avenue, Ocean City, MD 21842   |
Ranked #106 of 107 Hotels in Ocean City
Binghamton,NY
“"Great Bang for the Buck"!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2012

For the price of the Hotel compared to other O.C. Hotels it's a steal! I almost feel guilty for paying the amount I did ! The room was great and looked recently re-done and the maids kept it super clean and re-stocked with towels, soap and bathroom tissue. the pool was awesome and I enjoyed relaxing in the sun there! The hotel conveinately located near a bus stop so if you like to have a couple of drinks on vacation like I do, you can ride the bus to anything you desire without worry of a DUI . The staff was very friendly and helpful and no matter what time of day or night it was , you found someone keeping the grounds clean. There were soda and water machines at the hotel but I would recommend bringing cases of your own. For breakfast and lunch I would recommend the Brass Balls on the boardwalk between 10th and 12th st's . Or for convenance Dunkin Donuts is across the street and Mc Donalds is 2 blocks North . For the best Rib's in the world try Nick's on about 145th street .for the best crab cakes try Captain's Galley 2 , take route 50 west then left on Golf Course Road. I had a great time at The Islander and will stay there every time I visit O.C.

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
Scranton, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2012

The room was very clean and recently remodeled, the air conditioner worked well . The staff was very friendly and efficient and catered to all our needs , towels , taking garbage cleaning the room and they kept the grounds Immaculate ! Plus the Islander is very close to food : the popular Phillips Sea Food Restaurant is right across the street . A McDonalds is very close along with a CVS. Across the Street their is a beer and wine store , a Dunkin Donuts and a Pizza Place. The infamous party block is a close walk and for the more mature partiers there is Fish Tails which is behind the hotel on the bay side . The pool at the Islander is very clean and well maintained . The Ocean and the boardwalk are a short stroll from the hotel also . I really enjoyed my stay at the Islander and can't wait to stay again!!

Room Tip: We liked room 205 it overlooked the pool .
Woodbridge, Virginia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2012

When checking in, the front desk lady was rude. Our room smelled as if it were clean, but it was not. Bathroom curtain ripped, the floors/carpet were dirty (you can see the black on our socks). The AC was working, but the vents were EXTREMELY filthy. I purchased cleaning products from CVS and cleaned it myself. I could not afford to look else where, so I cleaned the entire room/bathroom for myself and my 3 young children.
The WiFi sucked or none(need to be near office), no telephone in room, no icemakers around, and very few TV channels worked.
Will NEVER, EVER stay here and definitly NOT RECOMMEND this motel.

Newark, Delaware
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2012

We visited this hotel a few times in the past,12 years later and the rooms look the same, no improvements or renovations at all. The only good thing is the pool and its withing walking distance to the beach and some eaterys, otherwise even the pool lounge chairs are falling apart. The beds are thin and shabby (good thing we had our air matress in the trunk- put it on the bed), the rooms are musty, the kitchenettes are rusty and old. For $199 a night they should at least renovate a little,

Severn, Maryland
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2012

OMG i have never stayed in a motel so filthy in my life. My 3 kids and i had a horrible experience.
First i was rushing to complete my homework that is due Friday night was told they had free WiFi
come to find out the manager told me that the room i was staying does not receive signal; was extremely pissed off.
I tried to calm down because of my kids trying to make the best of the weekend, we went out came back after a walk on the beach to find out there is no hot water we had to take a cold shower.
No apologies from the manager, worst customer service i have ever experienced.
Please vacationers going to OC do not stay at the Islander motel.

1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2012

Terrible place to stay.
Rooms are extremily dirty and stinky.
Rooms have a lot of ants.
No towels inside the roons
No WiFi in the rooms...at the front desk,they told me that the only place is around the office...don't make a sence.
At every "place" I stayed, the late check out is at 12pm and free...they told me that late check out is $35 extra, not kidding.
Refrigirator barely working.
Dirty carpets
Front desk service are terrible and not help with any concern.
The spa next to the pool...not working.
Batteries for remote controls...not working.
Electric stove...barely working.
Terrible place...terrible.

Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Mountainhome, Pennsylvania
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2012

My wife and I took our 9 year old granddaughter to Ocean City for the July 4th week and tried to find an inexpensive motel to stay in. There's a good reason this hotel has low prices. I read the other reviews and yes, the rooms are not clean. There were some unidentifiable purple stains on the shower surround and the molding (really) along the floor in the bathroom was mildewed. The air conditioner had a puddle under it on the floor inside the room. After asking where the ice machine was (the guy behind the office counter said "I dunno"), we found it alongside the building and in pieces. We had to buy ice down the block for the whole week. I was pleasantly surprised to actually find a working refrigerator in the room. The Direct TV fritzed out on and off for the whole week. The wi-fi signal was also pretty weak and we were told that the best place to use it was in the office. (lol) The "spa" next to the pool looks as though it hasn't working in quite some time and there were beer cans sitting on the wall along side it that were there for the whole week. Fresh towels were handed to us at our door every day, although we opted out of having anyone service our room at cleaning time.
Gotta say, this is not the worst room we've stayed in. It was bad, but not the worst. If you really need a place to stay and are severely budget minded and don't mind quite a few compromises, this could be the place for you. The "cheese factor" alone made this a memorable stay. I wouldn't stay here again, but we survived and no one got sick or anything.
The only thing that really made us unhappy about our stay was the family staying in the room directly over us. These animals must've been raised by wolves and this had to be their first foray into civilization. We could hear voices of children between the screams of their parents to "shut up!!". The kids sounded under 10 years old. This family would come back to their room somewhere from 11:30 pm to 5 am, and immediately start running across the floor, jump up and down and yell at each other. In all my years, this family was the worst neighbors I have ever had at anyplace I've ever stayed. Room 82, you know who you are.

Room Tip: Try to get a top floor room so upstairs neighbors don't keep you awake. Road noise is pretty lou...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family

Been to The Islander Motel? Share your experiences!