“nice place to visit in the winter....calm and quiet!” 5 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Book now and save 20%
Ranked #2 of 107 Hotels in Ocean City
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“nice place to visit in the winter....calm and quiet!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2013

nice ocean views and great location....best spot for winter relaxing and nearby to sea colony tennis resort. we enjoyed the winter breeze and sunrising in the moring and sunsets in the evening. the room are large and comfortable and service was great.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (282)
Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

We decided an overnight trip was needed. Made reservations online same day. Suites are amazing. The cleanest and nicest hotel I have ever been to. Beds and bedding were wonderful. Kitchen was well stocked with pots, pans, untensils & glasses. We have 2 small children (under 6) and they fell in love too. So much for everyone. We were able to get a late checkout which was great since we didn't arrive that night until 6. Great size pool with late closing hour. In room whirlpool tub was fun for kids to bathe in. Can't say enough about cleanliness and hospitatlity - trully a wonderful place to stay. Can't wait to go back when it is hot out to enjoy the outdoor pools.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Stafford VA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

I’ll get to the “but” shortly, because it’s not something that would keep us from recommending the place or from staying there again, especially since the issue was resolved to our satisfaction, but it’s something you should be forewarned of.

FYI: We have stayed in some nice suites, including various Marriott Residence Inns, various Hilton Homewood Suites, even a new, upscale Hilton Hampton Inn & Suites which had a holographic TV in the bathroom mirror (Charlotte NC - amazing!), but I am comparing this suite against what had been my favorite up to now, our suite in the Embassy Suites in Niagara Falls, Canada. This one in the Hilton Ocean City Oceanfront Suites was similar, but even better.

The place was clean, nicely furnished, and completely up-to-date. The rooms were huge, and separate from each other, so it felt more like your own luxury apartment by the sea than merely a hotel suite. You enter into the living room/dining room; see my photos of it (and the rest of the suite) to know what it looked like/how it was set up.

Beyond the LR/DR is the galley kitchen with a granite counter, full-size fridge, full-size electric range and oven, full-size microwave, and dishwasher. In addition to the usual dishes, glasses, silverware, pots & pans, etc., there was also a blender, a toaster, and an electric can opener. They thought of almost everything; there was even a small bottle of dishwashing liquid for hand-washing dishes at the sink (which I prefer to do). The only thing that was missing (which we have usually found in kitchens in Residence Inns and Homewood Suites) was paper towels - so we ended up using facecloths from the bathroom for that; there were about 6 of them in there (and as many bath towels and hand towels).

To the left of the kitchen was the huge bathroom with a granite counter with double sink, and oversized hot tub. My only complaint about this room was the lack of anything to keep you from slipping in the tub when taking a shower. I can understand not having any kind of grit in the bottom of it because of people’s bottoms (if they were taking a bath), but there really should be a non-slip bath mat for those who just want to shower, because the tub was very slippery when wet, and being a little unsteady on my feet, I had to hold onto the grab bar while showering. Also, if you’re short (I am - just over 5’), getting into and out of this tub may be a bit of a challenge. However, something this bathroom had which I had never seen in a hotel bathroom before is a lighted, magnified (I’m guessing 8X) make-up mirror, which I was thrilled about (and used).

At the far end of the kitchen was the door to my favorite room in the suite, the huge bedroom with a wall of windows overlooking the ocean. And beyond this room, the largest, completely private oceanfront balcony we have ever had the pleasure of using, with a large round table, and seating for four. Had the weather been milder, we’d have had our meals out there - but given the below-freezing temperatures (we’re talking mid-January), we pulled two of the (very comfortable) chairs from out there into the bedroom, pulled the small round table from beside the bedroom chair, and ate inside by the window overlooking the sea.

If we HAD eaten outside, we might have had an issue with birds, because the people in the room above us were feeding the seagulls from their balcony. This poses a problem not only for people on nearby balconies who might wish to dine out there without having birds see their food and snatch it, but it also poses a danger to the birds - because after the feeders went back into their suite and shut the door, we heard one of the birds hit the glass on the balcony above us.

Our suite was on the 5th floor, which I felt was a good location. I was asked at check-in how high up we wanted to be (although I don’t know if that option is offered in the high season), and I told her high enough to have a good, unobstructed view of the ocean, but that I didn’t want to feel too far removed from the beach. Had it been warm enough for swimmers to be in the pool below, I might’ve wanted a higher floor (away from the noise), but for wintertime, it looked to me (from the beach, after checking in) like really ANY of the floors would’ve been great.

Now for the “but:” This is a full-service hotel, meaning that they have bellmen accompanying the luggage carts - which is fine, if you enjoy the luxury of having someone else load and unload your things for you (and don’t mind tipping for that service), but we’re do-it-yourselfers. We had things not only in the back of our minivan but also in the middle and in the front of it, and they needed to be put on the cart in a certain order because of size, weight, contents, etc. - so this is something that we prefer to manage ourselves. When my husband told this upon arrival to the guy with the cart, however, he insisted on remaining with the cart and helping. We assumed from this that this was hotel policy - one we didn’t appreciate, however.

Come time to check out, my husband called the front desk for a cart (because they’re not out where you can just go get one yourself), and the woman he spoke to said something like “You want just a cart, not assistance?” - to which my husband replied: “Yes, we just need the cart, we don’t need assistance.” It was something like 10-15 minutes before a different bellman arrived with the cart, and when my husband tried to take it from him into the room, the guy wanted to stay with it. When he was told that we didn’t need his assistance, he got huffy, gave my husband a dirty look, and stomped away, deliberately brushing into him as he did so. My husband then called down to the front desk and told them what had happened - especially because he didn’t want to deal with more of the same attitude when we got downstairs with the cart. The manager, to his credit, apologized all over the place, stated that no hotel guest should have to put up with anything like that, and gave us a discount on our hotel stay - so the issue was resolved to our satisfaction, but I’m writing about it here because I want future hotel guests to be aware that you do not have to accept a bellman’s help if you don’t want to. It is not the hotel’s policy that you must do so in order to use the luggage carts. However, not just one but two of their bellmen whom we encountered - because they are bent on helping (and hoping to earn a tip) - would have had us believe otherwise.

BTW, the suite had several books in it on local restaurants and other things to do in the area, and a local phone book as well. Also, there was a TV-channel guide included in the guest services book, but it was out-of-date - so my husband went through the channels and wrote down what was what. If you're interested in having an up-to-date (as of January 2013) channel guide for what you can see on the hotel's cable TV, write me asking for it, and I'll send it to you.

Boonsboro, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2013

spend a 3 day weekend every late January for our wedding anniversary. we love the view from our balcony and falling asleep to the sound of the ocean. Rooms are large and always clean, having the kitchen is great!!!! the staff are wonderful!!!!! When we checked in this time my wife mentioned it was our anniversity, and Cody who was checking us in, went and gave us a bottle of wine.....for free!!!!! sat. evening we where heading out to dinner and my wife couldn't get the safe open, we called, and the maintance man was there in 5 minutes!!!!! we always enjoy the pool, exercise room and the rumba lounge!!!! the bell hop gentleman is the greatest, sorry i don't remember his name. Two years ago it snowed 7 inches, it was great!!!!!! I think it took 3 days for OC to plow the streets!!!!! The locals where stunned!!!!!

Room Tip: ask for a high floor. If your a couple avoid the MLK holiday in Jan. normally have the pool and loun...
York, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2013

I like walking into a suite that is very clean. This was that. I also like not being confined to one room. These rooms are very comfortable. I do think for January the pool could be a little warmer. This is my only complaint.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2013

Very clean and spacious rooms, staff very helpful. It was the off season in so there were very few guests. Only complaint is that the indoor pool was a bit cold. Nice furnishings in room and wonderful bathroom. Lots of room.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
Wallkill, NY
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2013

Great location, very large and clean suite with a spacious living room, large bedroom. Loved the whirlpool tub and the ocean view is incredible. Hallways had a bit of a smell in them, but other than that the room was awesome. Stayed between Christmas and New Year's and enjoyed it very much. Room was clean, neat and all we could have asked for. Near the boardwalk area, close enough to enjoy, but without having to deal with it all day and night. Beach area is beautiful.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Hilton Suites Ocean City Oceanfront? Share your experiences!