“Worst Condo style hotel room I have ever rented” 1 of 5 stars

3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   10002 Coastal Highway, Ocean City, MD 21842   |
Hotel packages
Ranked #47 of 107 hotels in Ocean City
Rising Sun, Maryland
“Worst Condo style hotel room I have ever rented”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 17, 2012

If only I had a place to post the pics of this nightmare hotel. Lets address the amenities first. Pool being renovated so you couldnt swim, horrible smelly trash chute open all day. by the way, no one mentioned the pool being closed when we booked. So that in itself is fishy. These are supposed to be condos. The only positive thing I have to say is the view was nice. We usually stay at the Holiday Inn Oc Suites so maybe my standards are high..but trust me, I have pics of what I am going to tell you. The doorway to the room looked as if it had been broken into numerous times. All of the closet doors were broken and hung open. The bathroom in the bedroom had one of those access panels behind the toilet. (above not below) It looked as if it were punched in. The chairs in the "kitchen" area were both broken. When my 7yr old sat on one, the seat totally fell off resulting in her pinching a finger. Above the fridge, the dust was just amazing, and i dont mean like wipe your finger top of the fridge, I mean like stand on the floor looking up at the stalagtites of dust growing down. The cabinets were broken. The tub in the main bathroom was brown. The Air returns (one of wih is in the master bedroom) were so full of dust it was like growing outward. When we attempted to dry our clothes nothing would dry. So checking the lint filter....there was over an inch of lint in there. Can anyone say super fire hazard. All of our glasses and mugs were full of lipstick. And the absolute worst was the bed. I have never in my life slept on a bed that actually contributed as opposed to relieved my back problems. It was so bad my husband I would have slept on the also inept sofa bed had my daughter and her grandmother not been in there. Can I just say, that you know I am not exaggerating when a 7 year old wants to push the chair and ottoman together to sleep because the sleep sofa is so uncomfortable. After spending our vacation sleeping in a bed that was like a soggy hammock I was actually happy to return home. I will never stay here again. Sticky slippery floors, broken closet doors, broken cabinets and broken dirty doorframes are not what I thought we were paying for.

Room Tip: If you want a great stay, chose the Holiday Inn Oc suites on 17th street. You can catch the tram, t...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
StephanieHReed, Manager at Marigot Beach Suites, responded to this review, January 9, 2013
Please accept our sincerest apologies for the issues you experienced while staying with us. We obviously fell short of the standards of excellence to which we strive to adhere. In the rare circumstance that a guest is experiencing something that cannot be remedied quickly, we offer to move them to another condo. I do hope that the issues were brought to the attention of the front desk and/or management when you were here, and that the offer of moving was extended to you. Again, I'm sorry for the inconveniences your family experienced, and we hope to welcome you back so we can have a second chance to show you how lovely our property is.

176 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (33)
Malvern, Pennsylvania, United States
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2012

When I made my reservation, I called and specifically requested a crib for my stay. I was told this would not be a problem. When I got to my condo, there was no crib for me. I called the Clarion and requested a crib, again. I asked if I needed to be present when the crib was delivered. I was told no, I went to Thanksgiving dinner with my family, when I returned at 9, there was no crib, and I had a child who desperately wanted to sleep. I had to call the Clarion, again, and wait for a crib to be delivered.
The condos are very outdated and need upgrades. The shower did not drain, nor did the master bathroom. The toilet in the spare bathroom was broken, so everytime you used it you had to remove the back and tap the stopper to get it to properly fill. The Marigot should inform you in advance that it is necessary to check in at the Clarion.
The view; however, was amazing!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
StephanieHReed, Manager at Marigot Beach Suites, responded to this review, December 1, 2012
I apologize for these issues that the poster experienced during her stay. She was gracious enough to send me the unit number so we could send in the maintenance staff to make the mentioned repairs. The issue with no getting the crib has no excuse other than it was purely a case of miscommunication. We have condos and hotel rooms that are numbered the same, except there is an M in front of the condo number. Again, my apologies on this and the other issues the poster mentioned.
Newark, Delaware, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2012

We booked our stay for Nov. 5, 2012. It was a week after Hurricane Sandy. Our suite was directly across form the elevator, which was great because the lights in the hallway didn't come on until way after dark. Most of the time we had to use the light from our cell phones. The suite itself was nice - it just needed updating - as did the entire building. The biggest drawback was that everytime someone opened the slider to the balcony, the wind would whistle through the front door of the suite making a very loud noise. In addition, the deadbolt lock on the front door was broken. We couldn't use the Marigot indoor pool - which was disappointing. Lastly, when we first arrived, we couldn't find anyone to assist us. The place was not inviting and it was downright scary. The Clarion was a different story. I suggest Clarion invest a few worthwhile dollars and bring the Marigot up to standard. If I were an owner, I would not be pleased.

Room Tip: Don't get a room right at the elevator because it obstructs the view from the second bedroom.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
StephanieHReed, Manager at Marigot Beach Suites, responded to this review, November 17, 2012
I'm sorry for the issues you experienced that made your stay less than expected. The pool was out of order for several days that week, but the pool at the Clarion is always open to our guests renting at Marigot Beach. We do apologize for that inconvenience. I've let the GM know about the issues with the lighting and unfortunately, since I don't have your name or unit number, I wasn't able to have the bolt issue corrected. I do hope you left the front desk that information; if so, I'm confident it was repaired immediately. Thank you for the feedback, as it allows us to recognize areas that need improvement.
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2012

Our stay at the Marigot Beach Condos was perfect. The room was very clean and for a family of four, the 2 bedroom suite was great. There was a flat screen tv in the living room, one in the main bedroom and one in the second bedroom. My kids were spoiled with a tv in their room, and they didn't want to leave! The kitchen was well equipped and I was very happy will a full stove w/oven and full refrigerator. The price was very affordable for what we got, and the oceanview was spectacular! We definitely will be coming back next year!

Room Tip: Top floor was very quiet
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
StephanieHReed, Manager at Marigot Beach Suites, responded to this review, September 29, 2012
Thanks for letting other travelers know that you had a great vacation, and enjoyed staying in our condo. We certainly hope you plan on returning soon; we're looking forward to welcoming you back.
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2012

Asside from the location and view from the 11th floor, this hotel is average and lackluster in bad need of updates to appliances, bathrooms and service policies. Our stay was extremely enjoyable as we were with family, but the fun was interrupted several times -twice when the dishwasher backed up and flooded and repairman had to be called in. Issue is still not fixed and floor was slippery and wet our entire stay making slip and falls a serious concern. During day one the tub would not drain an again service repair had to be called to "jimmy rig" this fix as well. Tub was discolored on bottom and paint / decore was badly out of style. The same day we had to call maintenance again to replace a light bulb in dining room. Service man stood on the chair with his dirty shoes and now the chair is rickety and warped as well. We journeyed out to the boardwalk (about 5 miles from here) and when I returned someone was in my parking space. I informed the front desk. At first I was told someone was handling, then after 20 minutes was told to park in staff parking (really far away). Why have assigned spaces if they are not inforced? There were good notes... The location was right on the beach and view was SPECTACULAR. Very reasonable distances to major attractions and suites were comfortable at least I took points off for cleanliness as carpets were quite filthy and curtains stained. I made my kids stay in socks away from curtains and bed spreads the entire time YUCK! Appliances were okay. There should have been a broom and a bakeware set. Lots of work to stay here and keep the room running well. I just wanted to be on vacation not concentrate on appliance repair (especially daily).

• Stayed September 2012
It's disappointing to hear that you didn't enjoy your stay. I'm curious as to whether this was a unit owned by us (Clarion Resort) or a privately owned unit rented through a real estate office. Perhaps you wouldn't mind messaging me to give me the unit number? It would be especially appreciated. One way or the other, I do apologize for your inconveniences, and hope that you will give us another chance when you vacation.
Hackensack, New Jersey
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2012

This place offered us exactly what we needed without any frills. A good ocean view and basic amenities in the condo. We had a 2 BR on the 4th floor. The MBR had a great ocean view. The second bedroom overlooked Coastal Highway. Our refrigerator was missing all its racks but a quick call to Clarion was all that we had to do to get that resolved. We found that if we called Clarion to resolve any issue, they were quick to respond. My one complaint is that the balcony does not have a screen door. Due to this, you cannot enjoy the sounds of the ocean while avoiding bugs.
We did not opt for the $30/day linen service but we had ample towels to last us during the stay. We had one minor inconvenience - there was a leak from one of our bathrooms to the bathroom on the 3rd floor. Clarion had to fix this on the 4th floor and we could not use our bathroom for about 2 hours.
All in all - a no expectations place.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Thank you for taking the time to post your review, as we are always open to being notified of areas where we may need improvement. It sounds like you had a good time despite these minor inconveniences. We hope to be able to welcome you back every year.
new york
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2012

This is a two for one hotel. You have the privacy of a condo but get to use the amenites at the Clarion Resort Fontainebleau Hotel right next door. The staff was extremely nice and helpful when we checked in which was two hours prior to check in time. We rented two 2 bedroom units for the eight of us. Three adults and 5 of our kids (15-21 years old). The units were extremely clean and very spacious. NO BED BUGS! I do not understand why people are complaining about the cooking items in the kitchen. We had everything we needed. If you didn't have enough of something all you had to do was call and ask for them. Of course the items are not William-Sonoma pots and pans but what do you expect. It is a rental unit and often items are taken by guest so it would be ridiculous to expect high end cooking items. I knew I was going to be making pancakes so I brought my favorite skillet with me. I really could have left it home.
It was great having the washer and dryer in the unit. Bring your own detergent. Our laundry room had a broom but the other did not. No big deal. I really didn't expect one to be there. The tv in the main room was new. We brought dvds with us and watched them.
There was dishwasher detergent for the dishwasher. Bring your own dish washing liquid because that is not supplied. Bring your own shampoo and conditioner because there is only a hotel size of it there which is more than I expected. This is a condo unit and not a hotel unit without maids daily. You have to treat it as a vacation rental. There are two parking spots alloted to each unit. Upon check in go to the Clarion not the Marigot. You really do get the best of both worlds. Privacy of your own condo but service from the Clarion if you want it. Our rooms were 804 and 811. 804 was directly opposite of the elevator and I have no complaints there. We did not hear a thing. You do not hear slamming doors all day and night as you would in a hotel. I would recommend that you book directly through the Marigot and not a privately owned unit. I only have good things to say about staying there. I booked a great deal directly through an internet special on their website months prior to staying. We are from Long Island and it was a great trip. I packed a bunch of food items with us expecting everything to be over priced at the local grocery store. There is one across the street that is very reasonable and easy to walk to. Bring your own cereal. Way to expensive there! Roses is also across the street and is a very good place to buy beach toys and inexpensive beach gear and postcards.
I am very happy to give this review and believe me.....we are picky! Thank you to the great staff at Marigot/Clarion Resorts for a great stay!

Room Tip: I really liked being on the higher floors.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
StephanieHReed, Manager at Marigot Beach Suites, responded to this review, September 7, 2012
Thank you so much for posting your review and photos! We're glad you had such a good time and hope you make this a regular spot for your vacations! Thanks again, and see you next time!

Been to Marigot Beach Suites? Share your experiences!