“Good for the kids” 3 of 5 stars

Certificate of Excellence 2014
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“Good for the kids”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2013

Late planning for OCMD. We stayed 1 night booking 3 rooms. Location was great and convenient. Nice little setup and tons of activities for the kids. Our biggest complaint was the rooms. The rooms are out dated and need a remake. The rooms weren't completely clean either; stains on the roll away bed and tears on the mattress. Rooms were smaller than expected. The fishing pond was full of weeds, impossible to fish. The plus was the indoor water park, nice and clean. Prices for hotels in OCMD are over price for the quality hotels. Same is true for this resort $240 a night.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
fskinoc, Owner at Francis Scott Key Family Resort, responded to this review, September 18, 2013
I would like to begin by saying we do noy have any rooms that are $240 per night. I believe that this family most likely booked through an outside reservation system (such as booking.com) and the rate would have been $180 plus a $10 extra person rollaway fee. That would be a weekend/ holiday rate which is our highest. Our average daily rate this past summer in June were $152, July $164 and August $160 per night. I have mentioned in other responses that our rooms all have new furniture, flat screens and DVD player, tempurpedic mattresses, carpet and rooms with kitchens new cabinets. The wallboards and bedding I believe may give an older appearance and we are working on updating.

Though we understand the room style is very important we also feel the amenities we provide at no fee to our guests is a large part of why people enjoy their stay with us. We are happy that your family enjoyed those aspects.

We are in the process of going through all our cots and mattresses and will be updating them for 2014. We are proud of the cleanliness of our rooms and property and apologize if we missed the mark in any aspect.

I would invite this poster to contact me directly in regard to the rate they paid and to personally discuss their stay.

Owner

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (148)
Washington DC, District of Columbia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2013

The activities for kids are the only thing that makes this place good. The rooms are ugly and so old that they look unsalvagably dirty. Service was average. If you can't afford anything better, this place is ok.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
fskinoc, Owner at Francis Scott Key Family Resort, responded to this review, September 11, 2013
I am always challenged when we receive reviews such as this one. Yes it is true our property was built in 1952. We have spent every off season since 2002 upgrading all aspects of our property and we have forward plans that will continue as well. The amenities that were mentioned in this review I believe are one of a kind in this area. That being said our rooms do have new furniture, artwork, carpet, flat screens and DVD players. In rooms with kitchens we replaced the cabinets and appliances as well. We gutted and renovated 14 vacation homes this past year and all guest rooms have Tempurpedic mattresses. Our website I believe clearly depicts the style of our rooms. That being said we in no way claim to be a five star resort or franchiese property. Ocean City has many beautiful properties to choose from anywhere from budget to luxury and I realize we are not a perfect fit for all we are, I believe, a value based property with upgraded amenties. What we are, in my opinion, is a clean family resort that offers several free amenities and at the end of the day a comfortable place to sleep.

I am pleased that this family enjoyed our amenties...hopefully they were able to make some beautiful Ocean City memories!

Green Brook, New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013 via mobile

We stayed here with our 5 year old son, and we had a great time! We had to play mini golf at least once, sometimes more, every day. He loved the indoor pool and the spray ground, we loved that we could just spend some time relaxing around the motel and have things to do if we wanted to. It was nice to have the BBQ/picnic area and a grocery store nearby. Outlet shopping and free shuttle was a plus as well. Staff was very friendly, the people staying at the motel were also friendly. The rooms were a good size and clean. Wifi connection could be improved, I was able to send and receive emails but not consistently, and I was unable to share photos. Otherwise, this is a great place for families!

Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Thanks for your comments. The WIFI has been our biggest challenge of the last several years. Though we have made upgrades each year the demand continues to grow in overwhelming percentages. We are doing an upgrade in October that we are told will handle our current and forecasted needs for the next season.

We love that you has so much fun!

Hertfordshire
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

This was our accommodation for two nights, and we all thoroughly enjoyed our stay. Free WiFi (even though it wasn't fantastic), a free shuttle to the Boardwalk and free access to the swimming pools were a nice bonus for a decently valued holiday. The resort has a lovely on-site diner, and all of the staff were welcoming, dedicated and helpful. We fit six of us into one room which I am sure many hotels would try to avoid, but the pricing of our stay therefore went down which was fantastic.

I have not tried any other resorts or hotels around Ocean City, but I would definitely recommend this one nonetheless. For the value, the comfortable stay and the amount of activities to entertain us all it was an excellent choice.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for your comments! I agree we are a value family resort. We are dedicated to our families to continue to provide and improve our property while keeping the family budget in mind!

See you soon
florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

My family of three adults and two toddlers stayed in a ranch room with two double beds and a sleeper sofa. The room was quiet and the beds were comfortable. Wifi was slow at times, but it is free. My toddlers really enjoyed the indoor pool (1/2' to 4 ' deep) and the sprayground. Actually, they could have stayed all day in the sprayground.

The shuttle service was nice and the staff was very welcoming. On par with the hospitality to people working at disney.

Having two supermarkets, a royal farms, fast food places, and an outlet mall nearby were nice.

Unfortunately, my expectations for the resort was a bit high. Having stayed at many resorts in various states, I expected to have two cribs in my room for my toddlers and the rooms to be more like a hotel (not motel).

Upon checking in, I was told it was a fire code (safety) issue and I could only get one crib. I even promised that I would not use the sofa bed, but my request was denied by two different people. Knowing that I probably could not find another place on a holiday weekend, we decided to stay. At night, one toddler used the crib while I coslept with the other. Because of my concerns of my toddler falling off or being crushed, I did not get much sleep. In hindsight, we should have just never stayed or picked up a pack-n-play somewhere. Anyway, the owner recently contacted me after I sent in a survey and she apologized. She said that I should have been able to have two cribs if I was not using the sleeper sofa. It was too little too late.

The beds in our ranch room were comfortable and the bedding looked clean. There was a newer flatscreen TV and plantation blinds. However, the room had an outdated motel decor with an old phone, small fridge, and old furniture. The walls had outdated wood paneling and the carpet could have used a good deep cleaning (my white socks got dirty pretty quickly walking on the dark green carpet). Apparently, they do regularly clean the carpet. It may have just been my luck to be the last occupants before the scheduled cleaning for that particular room.

We had a few other issues as well. A microwave in the room would have been nice. There were about 6 flies flying around my room along with 3 dead on the carpet when I first checked in. We removed them, but every day, there were 3 or 4 more. Not sure where they were coming from, but it was just bothersome having a fly flying around your head when you are trying to sleep. The shuttle was great, but not compatible with our double stroller. There was just not a good place to store it on the shuttle. We opted to go to the beach by car early (around 9 am) and park on the street for free (You can park for free on the side streets next to boardwalk beyond 11th street. Just get there early in the summer.). The next two are more of a preference. We were not allowed to use our toddler floats in the indoor pool, which made it tricky to watch two toddlers by myself. They had floatation devices for you to use, but my toddlers prefer our floats that keep their upper body out of the water. And lastly, I wish the toilet had a lid and/or bathroom a lock. My toddlers are going through the stage of investigating everything, including toilet water.

So we are unsure if we would ever stay here again. My kids really liked the sprayground, which sets this place apart from many of the other places in ocean city. And the staff were very friendly. Please keep in mind that it is more of a motel with some perks of a resort.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for your reivew. I do hope that you would consider staying with us again in the future. We do have several room type options and I apologize for any confusion about the cribs. If I can assist in accomodating your family in the future please contact me directly.

SIncerely
800-213-0088 ext 104
Fairfax, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2013

We stayed at this resort for 2 nights during the labor day weekend and overall we had a good experience. The staff is very welcoming and prompt. Rooms are average and hotel staff keep it clean. We never had any problems with the room. This is not a luxurious resort so you need to keep expectations leveled. We loved the activities at the resort from put put, both indoor and outdoor swimming pool (outdoor is quieter) and the picnic area. They have a shuttle to the beach which is the best feature of this resort. No need to worry about the parking and they run all day until 10pm. every half hour. The ride to the beach is 5-10 minutes and drops off right off the boardwalk.
The only negative was the Route 50 hotel inside the resort which is very average and service was extremely slow but there are plenty of options to eat outside. I would definitely recommend this resort for families with kids and I would most likely stay there next year.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for your honest comments. We are so glad that you enjoyed the holiday weekend with us! I have passed your constructive words to my husband who oversees the Diner. We hope to see your family again soon!

Lebanon, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2013

We had a great time at the resort!!!They have great amenities, friendly staff and especially loved the shuttle to the beach!It was close to everything and it is a great place for the whole family to enjoy!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
I am very proud of our staff and I am glad that you mentioned them in your review. We know you have many places to choose when vacationing and we thank you for choosing the Francis Scott Key!

Owner

Been to Francis Scott Key Family Resort? Share your experiences!