“Not very impressed” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #8 of 107 Hotels in Ocean City
Norfolk, Va
“Not very impressed”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2013 via mobile

I was staying at FSK a zero cost due to being there for the wedding of a friend so im not Bothered due to cost issues. Thatbeing said, The first thing I noticed was an unbelievably overwhelming mustiness and mildewy smell in the room I was staying which was in the Maryland building, Rm 118. There was also an open package of used soap on the sink. The first thing I did was turn the heat down and turn the ceiling fan to high to try to demustify the room but that didn't work...so I was resigned to having my clothes smell musty.

On my second night, I went over to the concession stand to buy some food. I left 15 minutes later and I felt I had received a chlorine bath...my eyes burned from the chlorine fumes in the air and I felt like my lungs and nose were slightly scorched from those fumes.

My only other complaint is the remarkably slow wifi. I'll concede that this is a small complaint but if a business is going to advertise Wifi, it should have Wifi that handle the load of so many devices...and this was winter so imagine how it will be in the summer. It was so slow I just went ahead and used the 3G on my phone.

Overall, my stay was okay although the horrid mustiness of the room was a deal breaker for me. Unless this room is just a rare occurrence, I don't think I'll come back should I return OC.

• Stayed March 2013
fskinoc, Owner at Francis Scott Key Family Resort, responded to this review, March 25, 2013
We are sorry that you were disappointed in your stay. We do not have a room 118 but I did try and go back and see if we had and housekeeping issues from the Maryland building recently but I don't know when this stay occured. I apologize that the room was not in order upon arrival but I can guarantee that when notified we would try and rectify any issues or change rooms if possible. We are very detailed about our chlorine readings and empty the pool every two hours to do checks. It is very important as our bathing loads can be extremely high on the weekends and we take it very seriously. Ocean City has many wonderful choices in where to stay and if the Francis Scott Key is not a perfect fit I would be happy to help find a more suitable property. If you do decide to come back please contact me directly and I will oversee your stay!

Owner

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (138)
Portage, Pennsylvania, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2013

We LOVED our vacation to Francis Scott Key last year, We stayed in the section by the fishing pond and Pavilion. Our kids never had so much fun!! It is a vacation in itself with the indoor kids pool with all the waterfalls the slide and awesome Pirate theme decorations. The Huge splash pirate ship was a favorite of my 3 year old! it has slides, dumping buckets water spraying everywhere! The put put golf is nice to take a break from the water, there is also a basketball and vollyball court, an outdoor swimming pool beside the putput with a refreshment bar, alongside the pool is an adult hot tub where you can grab a drink and relax while your oler kids swim or play a round of put put. Although the rooms may not be huge, we didn't find them to be a big downfall as we didn't spend that much time there anyway. The beds were a little small and I would like to see them upgrade to Queen size. They had craft time at the Pavillion by the fishing lake that my boy's really loved! We didn't eat in the Diner since it was always closed when we tried to go, it closes too early in my opinion. The most important thing is our children LOVED it there, they still talk about how much fun it was and my 3 year old asks if we can go back to play on the Pirate Ship so as a mother, that is MORE important than if the room is a little "outdated" or not a huge suite, if it is updated, it's just a added plus to our stay!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
We love to hear that our younger guests want to return! That is a success in our book. As we have stated we have been bringing a 1950's roadside 60 room motel to a 2013 fun affordable resort. In the last 10 years we have added the indoor pool, fitness room, guest laundry, arcade, putt putt, pirate ship, playground, basketball and volleyball area and contineous bus shuttles. We have just completed all 232 rooms with new guest room furniture, flat screens, carpet, art work, bedding and light fixtures. All cabins have been gutted and are looking amazing. We still have to address the wall boards and bathrooms and that is up for the next couple of winters along with other projects. We are dedicated to continue to upgrade and hopefully entertain our families for years to come. We appreciate your business as we know you have choices!

Thank you!
Ellendale, Delaware
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

We have stayed at FSK several times over the past several years. We have only stayed in the winter, so can't tell you what it is like in the warmer months. The rooms are dated. They have tried to modernize them some with a beachy theme. Newer bedspreads (super comfy beds) and beach art work, but all in all the gray paneled walls and dingy bathrooms tell it's age (which I really don't know to be honest). Don't let that discourage you from coming though. You're there for the pool most likely. If you have kids 12 or under they will love it. In the winter it is never too crowded and the perfect size for smaller kids. It has one small slide, a volleyball net, water dropping buckets and a small baby section. The hot tub is nice for the adults. They now have a snack bar which serves everything from whole pizzas, to ice cream, to mixed drinks and beer. Not overly expensive either. 10.50 for a large pizza. We had a nice weekend and were even able to enjoy a game of mini golf. Free of course. If you're looking for something to do in the winter time with the kids this is a great weekend trip. Just try and ask for a room in the same building as the pool. The buildings are all spread fairly far apart and it's a cold walk in March when you're soaking wet.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for your reivew. We are just now finishing the final 122 rooms with new furniture, carpet. flat screens and the rooms with kitchens new cabinets. We gutted our cabins and they are looking great with new drywall, carpet, new furniture ect! Our next project next winter will address the walls and bathrooms. It is a constant work in progress and we are deciated to make as many upgrades each each as possible while maintaining an affordable rate.

We look forward to seeing your family again in the future!

Crosswicks, New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2013

It took a long time to write this review mainly because I forgot to. Wasnt until recently when we booked our next vacation with FSK that I remembered to write my 1st review. What can I say...this place is wonderful! We previously stayed here last summer for a 3day 2 night retreat getaway. Over the past years and including last year we always stayed at another resort that is right on the boardwalk. But that resort was getting a little pricey for the convience of the boardwalk attractions. We came across this resort after searching for a place to eat, we checked it out online and couldnt belive the price of the stay and all the wonderful things that was included in the price. So we gave it a try and boy did we love it!!! The staff is very friendly, the indoor pool was amazing!! The shuttle was perfect. Saved us from paying to park to go to the boardwalk. There were so many activities at FSK that we didnt even get a chance to do the majority of them, but will be exploring those options when we come back Memorial Day Weekend!! May cant get here soon enough! This is our new favorite spot in OC Maryland!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
fskinoc, Owner at Francis Scott Key Family Resort, responded to this review, March 12, 2013
Thank you for your great review. We have many families that find us by accident and then are loyal returns for years to come! We are always trying to improve and give our guests a good value for their money.

Annemaire Dickerson
Princess anne
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2013

We took our family of 5 to FSK, this past Saturday, for one night to celebrate our daughter's 8th birthday. She loves to swim and thought the indoor pool would thrill her, as well as her two brothers. We only live about 1/2 hr from OC so it was a nice surprise that we could afford this time a year because of the rebated price.

Our room was extremely musty, had almost no water pressure, & gnats were everywhere in the bathroom. The indoor pool was nice and the kids really enjoyed it, but when we took them back after dinner there were several overly-intoxicated people there. They were loud, some cursing at their kids in the pool, and it was not the most kid-friendly atmosphere at that point. We left after maybe an hour, so all-in-all the kids enjoyed the pool for maybe 2-hrs of the stay, since we went early that afternoon, as well.

My daughter had terribly swollen, irritated & burning eyes that evening due to the chlorine levels. We woke up the next morning with all five of us being completely congested with coughs. Needless to say, we checked out as soon as possible, I believe it was around 8:30 am. Within just a short time all of our coughs and congestion dissipated.... We don't plan on returning :(

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
I am sorry that you were disappointed with your stay. I believe that I personally responded to your concerns. I checked our logs and we did not have any reported complaints regarding the chlorine and we do take readings every two hours. That is not to say that sometimes guests have a reaction to the indoor pool environment. As far as inappropriate guests we at times do have to intervene when we have guests good time that is impacting others. Thankfully that does not happen often and is unfortunate when it does. I apologize.

The ranch style rooms did reopen for the season but that is not a reason for a room not to be at 100%.

As I stated in the personal email if you would like to come back I would oversee all aspects of your stay. In the future please do not hesitate to let us know while you are with us and we will do whatever possible to make your stay great!

Lutz, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2013

Pretty far from the beach. You have to take a shuttle bus and walk a few blocks. They do have regular shuttle services every 15 minutes or so. It can just be incovenient to get to the beach if you have small kids or stuff to carry or it's raining.

The room was old and smelled funny. It was reasonably clean though. We ordered a room with a kitchenette and were given a room that only had a small fridge which was disappointing so make sure you save all your reservation documentation! We forgot to bring ours so we had no proof of the type of room we had ordered.

The indoor pool is very nice. Also we really liked the 50's style restaurant on the property.

Room Tip: If you order the room with the kitchenette, be sure you have that in writing. We ordered that one an...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Thank you for taking the time to write a review. We may not be a perfect fit for all families but we are glad that you enjoyed your stay. If you decide to stay with us again please do not hesitate to contact me directly and I will make sure your reservations are in order. We have been busy this winter with updating 122 rooms with new carpet, furniture and flat screen TV's.

If you decide to stay in town Ocean City has many wonderful choices!

Annemarie DIckerson
Washington DC, District of Columbia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2013

We made an impromptu overnight trip to the little treasure. We live within a few hours and we were on a mission to find an indoor pool for our daughter to play in. Well, we definitely got what we were looking for. For starters, we booked our reservation the day of on their website and got 10% off...When we arrived, check-in was pretty simple. The front desk clerk was very hospitable and explained everything...pool hours, how to get to our building, the restaurant being closed due to off season, etc. My husband was impressed that even though we just made our reservation three hours prior to showing up, they had everything printed out and ready to go for us by the time we got there. As we drove to our room, we saw the outdoor pool area, the playground and the putt-putt golf course. The motel is comprised of several building named after the original states. We were in the New Jersey building on the second floor. We had two double beds with a kitchenette. The beds were nice Tempurpedic branded beds. The kitchen was fully stocked with a setting for four. There was a little table with four chairs. Since it was cold outside (even flurrying) we drove over to the indoor pool. The building housed a gym with a few machines, an arcade and bathroom facilities with full showers, changing rooms and lockers. The arcade had an air hockey table and several arcade games. In the pool area, there was a snack bar that serves ice cream, drinks, pizza, chicken fingers, hot dogs and fries. The pool was great. There was a slide and a volleyball net. Although we didn't need them, the hotel provided life vests and beach balls. The pool area was lined with tables, chair and lounge chairs. They also had thick pool towels.

This was definitely a quaint motel that appears to be run by a family that knows how to take care of their guests and knows how to take care of their property. It was truly a fun experience and we'll definitely be back to visit in the future.

Our only cons because there always has to be cons...the paving needs to be updated and the walls a a little thin...we could hear the kids in the room next door...

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for such a detailed review! The winter can be a different vacation here in Ocean City but we try to keep a little summer all year at the indoor pool! We will hopefully be able to do additional paving this spring as some of our storms impacted some areas.

Hope to see your family again soon.

Owner

Been to Francis Scott Key Family Resort? Share your experiences!