“Great place to stay with kids” 5 of 5 stars

Special Price
Book online and save 10%
Ranked #7 of 107 hotels in Ocean City
Latrobe, Pennsylvania
“Great place to stay with kids”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2012

I have stayed here a few times and let me say I have enjoyed this resort. My Grandaughter lives in Pocomoke City and I in PA. When I come to visit I ask her if this is where she wants to stay and I get a big "OH YEAH". We have a great time here, the activitties for kids can't be beat from movie night the wildlife people that bring there birds for education and of course the pool that we spend hours at. The only negative is no microwave in the rooms that we stay in other then that we'll see you in April.

Room Tip: upper floors are Quiter.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
fskinoc, General Manager at Francis Scott Key Family Resort, responded to this review, December 18, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to write! We love that your family enjoys family time here at the FSK!. We did add microwaves for guest use in the guest laundry building and all rooms with kitchens have a microwave as well! Hope to see you soon!

641 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (129)
Lancaster, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2012

we stayed here for the first time in 2012 we stayed in one of the newly remodeled rooms and my entire family was very happy with the overall stay from all the events the splash grounds and the indoor pool. My Parents also came and stayed during the time that my family was there in separate rooms and they really enjoyed their stay as well my two children and my two nephews loved all the things available to do. There was something for the whole family to do my husband and father loved the pool bar and i found the laundry room to be very clean and convenient. We already booked our stay for 2013 in one of the cabins. We would have liked to have seen a cabin while we were there to decide on staying in one, however they were all occupied while we were there. I have heard that the cabins are not remodeled yet. I hope that they are just as nice as the renovated room that we stayed in and my extended family will be booking their room soon for their stay while we are there. hoping to make this a family vacation every year

sincerely
fsk fan

Room Tip: the full kitchenette rooms are worth the price when you book online for the sunday to friday stay
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
fskinoc, Owner at Francis Scott Key Family Resort, responded to this review, December 18, 2012
We are so excited for the our guests to see the cabins. As of now we have completely guted the cabins, the windows have been replaced and we will begin the drywall process very soon. All the cabins will have new carpet, walls, windows, kitchen cabinets, furniture and bedding. We are also adding a second TV to the bunk room and the second bedroom will have a queen instead of a double. Looking forward to 2013....see you soon!

Washington, District of Columbia, United States
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2012

Let me start with the positives first. The indoor pool was FANTASTIC! It poured one day while on vacation and the indoor pool really saved us. They have great activities for the kids. There is definitley plenty to keep the little ones busy. That's why we chose to book here. We've been coming to OC as a family for 6 years and this is the first and LAST time we will stay at the FSK. Another positive was all the employees we interacted with while we stayed seemed very pleasant. One of the life guards (John I believe) was GREAT! You could tell he really enjoyed his job. My son absolutely loved him!

I did a lot of research and read many reviews and there were complaints about the rooms being outdated so I made sure I booked a "recently remodled" room. If this room was recently remodled I'd hate to see what the other rooms look like. The room just felt dirty and damp. The biggest complaint was the walls are paper thin! It was horrible! We didn't sleep at all while we were there. We considered cutting our family vacation short just to get out of there. We called the desk multiple times to complain about the noise in the middle of the night and they did tell the people next door to quiet down, but that was it. The final morning we were there I could hear our neighbors coffee pot brewing. You should not be able to hear a coffee pot through the wall.

After I returned home I emailed the hotel to complain about our stay and I never heard a word back. That's not what I would call good customer service. I was pretty upset about our stay because we were really excited to finally find a nice "family" hotel but unfortunately this is not it.

We will NEVER stay at FSK again. It's very unfortunate the rooms are so horrible beacuase the activities are great. I suggest it's time for a BIG update!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
fskinoc, Owner at Francis Scott Key Family Resort, responded to this review, November 1, 2012
First let me apologize that you did not enjoy your experience at the Francis Scott Key. We get over 100 responses per week on our online survey though I read them all I am not always perfect on responding though it is important to me. I went back to re-read your comments from your August stay and I should have responded. We are a family owned hotel that has spent the last 10 years making improvements to our property. We have added 20 rooms, the indoor pool, the splashground, the mini golf the basketball volleyball area and shuttle services. We gutted the Main Lodge in 2010 and added the Diner, family lounge and began the upgrade with furniture and carpet in our guest rooms. We have completed 90 rooms with new furniture and carpet and our goal is to complete 109 additional rooms and the vacation rooms this winter. One of the comments we hear complaints about is the wall boards in our guest rooms. It is not an easy task to replace this with drywall but it is a project we are undertaking for our vacation homes and will hopefully next year begin the process in our guest rooms. That being said we are not a perfect fit for everyone. I would be happy to speak with this guest personally and I would personally oversee any future stay. If we are not the right place for this family I would be happy to help them find a better arrangement. Again sorry it took a TripAdvisor post for a response from me.

Wilmington, Delaware
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2012

Im smiling typing this review! Frances Scott Keys Family Resort has done it again!! Every late June my family and I look forward to spending time at our favorite Resort FSK Family Resort!! last year our car broke down and we missed the first whole day:( but my son wasnt too upset(mommy was:) but he was so excited about hitting the outdoor pool in the morning he wasnt upset for long:) If I have to have a bake sale being a single mommy on a fixed income Alex and I and my immediate family will be staying for a whole week!!! I am sooo excited!! FSK is one place where you KNOW you will be taken care of:) I had to copy and paste this quote from the owners who care about their community and others on a daily basis! I love it! here is their quote>>"Overall the Francis Scott Key was very lucky. I pray that our Ocean City businesses and friends and familys homes are in the same position. We will open today for any displaced locals at 11am. We have rooms with kitchens and will be open today until 6pm. Tomorrow we will resume our normal off season hours. We have power (as of now) and will be cleaning our property from debris so pardon our mess. As Ocean City is still closed from downtown to 62nd street we would ask out of town friends of Ocean City and the FSK to wait and give the town time to get it safe and for visitors. Thank for you all your prayers... Jim and Annemarie" when I saw that on my NewsFeed on Facebook:) (oh yes we love FSK so much we tell everyone to take a trip and we keep up to date happenings at FSK:) they are treat everyone like family! I am going to make sure this year to find Annemarie and meet her in person:) she is awesome and made sure our stay was awesome and accommodating:) Alex was having so much fun in the pools I couldnt get him out of it lol then it was bedtime!:) See for yourself how much we love FSK Family Resort, take a tour you will be ready to book your time there on the spot!! Be safe everyone! Happy Holiday Season 2012!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Thank you so much for your kind words. We are so blessed to have an extended family that comes and stays with us for their vacation. We look forward to the next visit!!

Cumberland, Maryland
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2012

My stay was in October 2012- off season, so the resort was not very crowded. I am of a middle class income level and was not expecting a room like the Marriott.

The resort has so many positive aspects: it offers family movies in the lobby at 8 pm., the indoor pool is one of the nicest hotel pools that I’ve been to, the indoor pool staffs 2 lifeguards, it offers free miniature golf, the staff are nice and very helpful.

With all of the strengths, I will not return because the room was so outdated. You can only clean something so many times before it needs to be replaced. I hesitate to say the room was dirty, but everything in it needed to be replaced. The carpet looked dirty and dingy, no vacuum was going to improve its state. The bedspreads were yellow and flowered; some of the sheets were off-white. It smelled like an old house. The thing that bothered me most was that he website states that microwaves are available in each room. I had to truck quite a hike to go to the laundry room to heat my 1 year old’s bottle each night because my room did not have a microwave. When I inquired about a microwave, the front desk told me that the wiring in the building that I was staying in would not support one.

Overall, other folks, who I met at the pool, seemed happy with their room. I booked late and was roomed in the oldest building in the resort. Despite all of that this place has going for us, I will not return and chance another stay in another dank room.

Room Tip: Book earlier and pray for a nice room.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Thanks for your comments. We are the busy process of prepping for next year and our projects. We will be replacing the carpet and furniture 5 buildings and 14 vacation homes. We do not offer microwaves in all rooms, just those with kitchens which are a total of 80 rooms and 14 vacation homes. We added microwaves in the new guest laundry room this past winter.The bedspreads were all replaced in 2010. It is our goal that all 232 rooms will be completed this winter and we will continue to provide a clean and comfortable place for our families.

I would be happy to make reservations for your next stay to ensure that you are satisfied with all aspects of your stay.

Annemarie DIckerson
Fredericksburg, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2012

We had never been to Ocean City so we decided to go over the Columbus Day weekend just to get out of town and relax. The beach and the boardwalk were fun however, it was very cold and rainy. I was so happy that the kids could play at the indoor waterpark and not have to be in the room parked in front of the T.V. Both children ages 3 and 12 both enjoyed the indoor pool. The location was perfect for their Dad to go fishing and for all of us to go to the boardwalk in about a 3 minute drive. My daughter loved that she could go to the front desk and get DVD's to watch in our room at night. Our room was very spacious and very clean (we stayed in the main house which the kids said we stayed in a mansion and not a hotel). Everybody was very friendly towards us. Our 3 year old is excited to go back in the summer when he can play in the outdoor water park/ship and we are more than excited to stay here again. It is great for families with children!!!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
fskinoc, Owner at Francis Scott Key Family Resort, responded to this review, October 15, 2012
What a great review...Thank you. Though we don't have all our amenites available in the off season I am glad your children are looking forward to coming back when everything is in full swing!

See you soon!
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2012 via mobile

This is an older hotel, family owned and operated. They provide basic accomodations at a fair price. One nice thing, every room has tempur Pedicure mattresses. Xlnt nights sleep. They include mini gold, a pool and in the summer a pirate ship for water battles. It's good hotel and very family oriented, the staff are responsive to problems ( like noisy people next door)

• Stayed October 2012
Thank you for your honest comments. We are a good clean family run hotel. Not your top tier resort but as you stated a nice, affordable basic property with a kick (amenities) that hopefully exceeds our guests needs and expectations. Hope to see you again!

Owner

Been to Francis Scott Key Family Resort? Share your experiences!