“Great Experience!!!!!!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #26 of 107 Hotels in Ocean City
A TripAdvisor Member
“Great Experience!!!!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2006

This has been one of the greatest experiences I've had with OC hotels. I have been a regular vacationer to Ocean City, and I am always looking for new places to stay to make my experience more affordable to enjoyable. Not only was the value more than worth it, but the staff was more friendly and helpful then one could ever hope for.

I love going to ocean city with my kids because they really enjoy it, and it can be difficult finding a nice place for a good valie. Bonita beach came through in every way. The rooms were wonderful, the pool was great for the kids. The staff was so helpful with providing recommendations for anything we needed.

I would highly recommend this as one of the top spots within the city. I have stayed in a number of other places and Bonita Beach highly exceeded my expectations.

• Stayed June 2006
carouselresort, Manager at Bonita Beach Hotel, responded to this review, March 5, 2013
Dear valued guest, thanks for your great review. The Bonita Beach property has gone under new management of The Carousel Group. We have had great success in hospitality management and strive for nothing less than excellence.

We are making a lot of great upgrades to the hotel as well as adding staff members to help with everyday operations and positive customer experience. Thanks again for staying with the Bonita Beach Hotel in Ocean City, we look forward to having you again in the future.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (43)
Philadelphia, PA
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2006

Go to their website and click on the "Features" page. It lists beds as "king" or "2 queens". We called, and the Kings were all sold out, so we asked about the 2 queens - were they REALLY queens or are they doubles? I am 6'3" tall and weigh 220 pounds, so this was a big deal - we both simply cannot fit in a double bed. We were re-assured they were QUEENS and not DOUBLES. Sure enough, when we walked in our room, they were doubles. We asked the front desk about it and were told they are queens. We then asked about switching to a king, and of course they didn't have any. No one seemed to get, or care, that had they not falsely advertised their business, we would have stayed elsewhere. They already had our money, what incentive did they have to be nice?

We got very sunburnt Friday and Saturday morning, so Sat afternoon, we returned to the room for a nap around 2:30. The room was still not cleaned, which was no big deal - we'd just get towels later. At 2:45, housekeeping knocked on the door, and I told the one girl we didn't need any service today. 2 minutes later, another housekeeper comes, banging on the door like she was gonna break it down. When I opened it up, she looks at me with an attitude saying "We HAVE to clean the room". I told her "thank you but no thank you" and she simply would not accept my answer. So much for "hospitality"!

Check out time is 11:00. On our day of checkout, we were 95% packed by 11:00. At 11:05, housekeeping was knocking on the door. I told them 5 more minutes and we'll be gone. No lie...at 11:07, there was a call from the front desk "kindly reminding" us about the 11:00 check out policy, and failure to comply would result in additional charges. This hospitality is amazing!!

I don't know where the hell they bought their sheets for these "queen" beds, but they NEVER stayed on. EVERY time I woke up, the sheets had come off the bed, and I had been touching the bare mattress (as had my wife) at some point in my sleep. I am far from a germophobe; however, having direct skin contact with a mattress slept on by who-knows-how-many people is just a tad bit uncomfortable.

Again - what is their incentive to keep their guests happy when they already have their money, right? I have no problem when things go wrong...I feel it it is how the establishment re-acts to it that defines them. The definition of the Bonita Beach Hotel should be "aloof". Book here, and you're taking a gamble.

• Stayed July 2006
Dear valued guest, we do apologies for your less than adequate stay at the Bonita Beach Hotel. You will be happy to know that the property has gone under the new management of The Carousel Group. We have had great success in hospitality management and strive for nothing less than excellence. We know your experience was less than satisfactory and we promise we are doing everything we can to make sure your next experience will not be your last.

NYC
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2006

We stayed at the Bonita Beach hotel last year. It was an decent value, the room was nice and we liked our mini balcony. I did find it annoying, though, that when going to/from the beach, you had to walk all the way to the front of the building (either outside, or enter on ground floor, but still had to walk all the way to the front) to get to the elevators.

We were in a group with two couples, in their late 20's. It seemed like a good place for families and couples, didn't really notice any teen partying going on.

• Stayed August 2005
A TripAdvisor Member
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 4, 2006

My two children and I stayed Sept., Labor Day. I made reservations only 4 days in advance and spoke to young man on the phone (call was made direct to hotel, not a booking agency) and told him we were to arrive on Thursday evening and stay Friday, Saturday, Sunday nights, to check out 4 pm on Monday. I asked several times if they would allow a late check-out, 4 pm, on Monday, Labor Day, and that if there was an additional fee that I would have no problem paying the fee. And several times, this young man (sounded early 20s) said it was no problem for a 4 pm check-out, that most of their customers would be checking-out Monday morning Labor Day and the Hotel was not booked full for the rest of week, meaning they wouldn't need our room. I asked that me reservation be noted for a Monday late check-out and the young man confirmed it was noted in my reservation. Because they agreed to a Monday, 4 pm check-out is the only reason I reserved with Bonita Beach

Upon arrival, a man in his late 50s, checked us in and from the way he presented himself, I took him to be the husband of a husband/wife/kids family ownership of Bonita Beach (his wife was there too and from their conversations, it was apparent they owned Bonita Beach. Oh, also upon arrival, this owner man saw me at the front desk waiting for service to be checked- in and he remained in a back room involved in a personal phone call for about 15 mins., all the while the wife was there too in the back room and did not acknowledge us or offer to assist us in checking in.) How rude. Anyway, upon finally checking in, I reminded the owner that I reserved a late check out on Monday and that I would pay any additional reasonable fee for this accommodation. He said he was not aware of this but did not indicate it would be a problem. I asked that he put that note on my file so that all staff would be aware of this. He said, "okay, fine".

Labor Day Monday, morning, I go to front lobby and the wife is working the desk. She said checkout is 11:00 am. I reminded her of that upon making the reservation the young man informed me that a late check-out was okay because they were not 100% booked for the balance of the week, AND I further reminded her that upon check-in her husband did not indicate a problem with the late check out and he agreed to note my reservation and I again stated that I would pay a fee for the late checkout. We haggled for a solid 20 minutes all the while she kept stating, "we do not have a late check out", and all the while I'm reiterating that the only reason I chose to stay at Bonita Beach was that I was reassured several times during the reservation process via telephone direct to the hotel, and, at check-in that a late check-out would be no problem AND that I was amenible to any reasonable fee for a late check out. Then out of the blue, after 20 minutes of haggling/disputing/arguing, she says, "well, we will have to charge you a fee if you want to stay until 4 pm". I nearly lost it at that point. I agreed to the $50 additional cost and the kids got another afternoon on the beach.

It really irked me to no end how I was treated by staff while my children watched and waited patiently. I will not return to this hotel until it is owned by someone else more amenible to customer service.

BTW, Bonita Beach has their own web site and on their web site the lobby is depicted as this spacious, huge, wonderfully big lobby. And upon entering their lobby for the first time, I thought I was in the wrong hotel as the front lobby is uncomfortably small and if you have a luggage trolly full and a few people in the lobby, you will be very crammed to the point the luggage trolly becomes a major feat in order to negotiate to the elevators AND if someone is exiting the elevators with a luggage trolley while you're waiting to board, you're both in big trouble.

One last note, I did have the names of everyone I spoke to: the reservation's person and the check-in man and upon haggling with the front desk woman Monday morning, I gave her the names of the persons who agreed to the late check-out and she remained totally unaffected.

• Stayed September 2005

Columbia, MD
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2006

Reserved 16 rooms for U15 Girls Soccer Tournament. "Jen" was very helpful both by phone and online when working with me to reserve the rooms. When we arrived the hotel had just opened for the season. For just opening the hotel and rooms were not very clean. Several of our nonsmoking rooms smelled of smoke. The sliding glass door was filthy. The dresser drawers were sandy. The front desk people, who identified themselves as the owners, were rude, not courteous or professional. A plus was the quick response of the maintenance personnel to fix a clogged toilet. There is definitely better out there for the price.

• Stayed March 2006, traveled on business
Dear valued guest, we do apologies for your previous experience, you will be happy to know that the property has gone under the new management of The Carousel Group. We have had great success in hospitality management and strive for nothing less than excellence. We have also hired a new sales manager, we would be thrilled to get your business once more.

We are making some great upgrades to the hotel as well as adding staff members to help with everyday operations and positive customer experience. Thanks again for staying with the Bonita Beach Hotel in Ocean City, we look forward to having you again in the future.
nj
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2005

My husband and I stayed at the Bonita Beach for our vacation in September. Overall, our stay was very pleasant. We stayed on the fifth floor and had a view of the ocean and the bay. The room was large with a wonderful efficiency kitchen, complete with fridge and microwave. The balcony was also oversized and included a table and two chairs. The bed was very comfortable as well. Housekeeping gave us a continuous, plentiful supply of towels and soap and were friendly.
The hotel is located in a lively area, but it's not crazy like near the boardwalk. The beach is just a few steps away.
The hotel pool is very nice and was unoccupied most of the time that we went to swim there.
The only downsides...
We had an experience with a staff member who was rude to us when we were trying to check in. She had a major attitude and obviously hated her job. All the other staff members we dealt with were very nice and courteous. The owner was friendly and we would often see him in and around the hotel.
Also, the parking lot is very tight. We have a mid-size car and had a hard time parking when the lot was kind of full.
If you can look past these few negatives, you will enjoy a stay at a beautiful, new hotel near the beach. Overall, we would recommend it.

• Stayed September 2005
Dear valued guest, thanks for your great review, and thank you for staying with us at The Bonita Beach in Ocean City! You will be happy to know that the property has gone under the new management of The Carousel Group. We have had great success in hospitality management and strive for nothing less than excellence. We know your experience was great but we aim to make it even better!

toronto, ontario
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2005

After reading reviews on just about every hotel in Ocean City, my husband chose the Bonita. We liked that it was new which to us meant clean with comfortable beds--and we were right. We wanted to be away from the noise and craziness of the boardwalk yet close enough to enjoy it on our terms. This hotel defintely fit the bill. We really weren't in our room accept to sleep so I can't comment on the staff but I will say that it was clean, quiet and the pool was great. The ocean was very rough when we were there so we would hang out at the beach all day (which was beautiful and close) and then go for a swim in the pool in the late afternoon. It was perfect! We would definitely stay at the Bonita again.

• Stayed August 2005

Been to Bonita Beach Hotel? Share your experiences!