“Horrible Beds” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Tidelands Caribbean Hotel and Suites

Save Saved
You added Tidelands Caribbean Hotel and Suites to your Saves list
Tidelands Caribbean Hotel and Suites
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   409 Atlantic Avenue, 5th Street on the Boardwalk, Ocean City, MD 21842   |
Ranked #83 of 107 hotels in Ocean City
Carroll County, Maryland
“Horrible Beds”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2012

The beds in this hotel must be at least 20 years old! We moved rooms and in both rooms, the mattresses were totally worn out we even had springs poking through the sides! They don't spend any money on upgrading the necessities! The towels were rough and felt like they would scrape the skin off your body. The rest of the room was okay but the hotel itself was filthy, smelly and old. I wouldn't recommend staying here. The best thing about the room was the view - ocean front!

Room Tip: Having an ocean front room was the only plus here!
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
TidelandsCHotel, Manager at Tidelands Caribbean Hotel and Suites, responded to this review, December 22, 2012
Thank you for sharing feedback in regards to your experience with us. Some of our beds have been outdated; however, we are currently in the process of replacing these beds with new beds for the 2013 season. Additionally, we have also undergone extensive renovations to provide an improved experience for our future visitors. If you decide to return to the Tidelands Caribbean Hotel in the future, please contact me directly at 410-289-9455 and I will be more than happy to arrange vacation specials specifically for you.

Much Thanks,

371 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (82)
New Jersey
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2012

My husband and I, and another couple, stayed at the Tidelands the last weekend in September for Wine Fest on the beach. We booked this hotel because of it being relatively close to the festival. In hindsight, we would have been better off walking an extra mile or two.

Our friend booked non-smoking rooms for both couples. My husband and I were checked in first and then, when it was time for our friends, the receptionist asked if they wanted non-smoking. My friend said yes, that’s what she reserved. The receptionist then said they didn’t have any more non-smoking rooms available. When our friend said she would not stay in a smoking room, the receptionist said she would see what she could do and then spent the next 10 minutes searching and typing in her computer. She checked them into a room and when she handed them the room key, they asked if it was a non-smoking room. She said no. There was no apology or conversation. The customer service was awful. Also, as we were checking in, many friends of the receptionists were hanging out by and behind the desk. It was extremely unprofessional.

Our rooms, and the hotel overall, are in serious need of renovations. Fixtures are rusty and rooms are simply not clean. Our friends found a bloody, broken spring under their mattress (they posted a review on TA also). We also had a group of people staying in a room two doors down from us who woke us up both mornings at 2:30 by yelling, cursing, and laughing for about an hour with their door open. I can’t necessarily fault the hotel for this, but it just added to our already poor experience at the Tidelands
Fortunately, Wine Fest was a blast and we will be back next year. We just won’t be staying at the Tidelands.

Room Tip: Not sure there is a good room.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
We are sorry that your previous stay with us did not go as well as you had anticipated. In the off season, our employees have received customer service training in an effort to eliminate future experiences similar to the one you experienced. We have also undergone many renovations to help improve the quality and cleanliness of your stay at our hotel. If you are willing to give us another chance, please contact me at 410-289-9455. I will do everything within my power to ensure an enjoyable vacation for you this next year.

Much Thanks for your feedback,
West Milford, New Jersey
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2012

But that is all I have to say about this hotel...we arrived for Winefest on the Beach the last weekend in September with friends...had made reservations in July/August...called the night before to confirm. We reserved an Oceanfront NON Smoking room...when we arrived they informed us that they did not have any NON smoking rooms left oceanfront...so we had to take a SMOKING ocean front room....... they did send someone up to put a "Bounce sheet" in the air conditioning unit...which did not have a thermostat, just an on and off button...we kept the sliding doors opened for fresh air when we were in the room......
The mattress was old and worn out....we later discovered that on one side of the mattress two springs were sticking out and on closer review, there was blood on the mattress where a guest obviously had cut themselves on the spring....you would think that housekeeping would have noticed it when the changed the sheets...which leads me to believe that housekeeping may not change the sheets after every guest visit...ugh, ugh, ugh. Their were no blankets in the room, so we had to request a blanket which they did bring up promptly.
The sliding doors did not have screens...The owners may consider a whole renovation!! The building inside was very old and worn out.
My friends where on a different floor. A few rooms down the hallway from them their were guests who kept their door opened and partied all night....needless to say, they did not get much sleep. We will be back next year for Winefest on the Beach, but we will not be staying at this hotel.....but the location was good and convenient and from the outside the hotel looked nice...

Room Tip: No tip here. I don't think there are any good rooms.
Cumberland
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2012

We vacationed at Tidelands in September for bike week. When I booked our room, I specifically asked that we not be on the fifth floor. So, what room did they give us when we checked in . . . 505 . . . fifth floor. Ok, so they have no other rooms available, we'll deal. When we got off the elevator on the fifth floor, the carpet was filty and their was a horrible cigarette odor coming from the enture floor. (This hotel isn't smoke free). The room also smelled of smoke. Gross. Speaking of the room . . . when I went to use my key to unlock the door, it was wide open. The lock didn't work, and no matter what we tried, we couldn't get the door to lock. First call to the desk. Instead of sending someone to fix the lock, they made me try to fix it myself, by inserting my key into the lock a dozen or more times until I heard a click. Talk about being paranoid the rest of the week, making sure the door was locked everytime you opened or shut it for something. What was even more gross than to odor, was the condition that we found the room in upon our arrival. There were long black hairs in the bathroom all around the tub. 505 was an end unit, so there were two windows that overlooked the street. In the window sill, there were tons of bugs, from small little black critters to huge black things with wings, tangled in the cobwebs. I wish that we would have taken a picture before cleaning them, ourselves. There were also smears of stains all over the walls in the room, like other people had smashed bugs and housekeeping elected not to clean them. The room was also overran with bugs . . . huge mosquitos, gnats, everything. Even something that looked like a roach crawling on the floor our last day there. The door to the balcony didn't have a screen, so everytime you opened the door, the bugs swarmed into the room. Hearing the rumors about bed bugs, we pulled our sheets down and looked under the mattress . . . we found no bed bugs or sings of them. What we did find, though, were stains on the sheets that could be wiped off with your fingers, making me think that the linens hadn't been changed from the previous guest. The stains appeared to be make-up. So, we called the front desk and had them send a maid to "reclean" the room. This time, we watched her. When I showed her the stain on the sheet, she said that it was permanent, and gave me attitude about changing the linens. Then I told her to try to wipe it off with her fingers. When she did, and the stain started to fade, I got no further crap from her about cleaning the room, again. This time, I stood and watched her. We also watched the housekeeping staff enjoy themselves in the guest rooms. They would joke and carry on while cleaning the rooms, AND enjoy their cigarettes on the guest balcony while they were supposed to be cleaning. It was absolutely gross. Needless to say we kept the "Do not disturb" sign up our entire trip, and elected not to have any of their "cleaning." Instead, we did it ourselves. Another thing I will write about (and there are many more things I could list), are the attitudes of the staff at the hotel. When you rode the elevator with the housekeeping staff, you would have to listen to them discussing their personal "adventures" from the night before . . . from getting hammered and passing out in someone's bed, to how they don't remember who they went to bed with. The lady with the thick hair working the front desk lacks the service excellance to work in a hotel, especially at the front desk. Her attitude was horrible. Every question or call to the desk was a major inconvenience to her. Also, forget the WiFi, because it doesn't work. They will tell you it does when you call the desk, but trust me, it doesn't. The only reason this place got 2 stars is because of location and the BluFin Bar and Grille. It is in the prime heart of the boardwalk, and is within walking distance to everything. And, the BluFin is wonderful. Maybe that's because it isn't associated with the hotel??? LoL. When we tried to start a tab with our room key, they told us they were not affiliated with the hotel and were on their own. Good for them. Beware, though, the pool is open to the public, and I am sure gets crowded in the "in-season."

We read the negative reviews about this hotel before travelling, however their were also some positive reviews. I don't know where these positive reviews came from, or the people who wrote them. I am not one to complain about a place on a website. It is a waste of my time, actually. But, this place was so filthy, I will never stay here again. And, I wanted to warn people of the "nastiness" before they get stuck with this filthy place they call a hotel.

Room Tip: Go somewhere else. Stay away from this dump. Next time, I will stay oceanblock before booking a room...
Peterborough, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2012

We stayed for one night in September 2012. Hotel is clean, staff was very friendly. Rooms were quite roomy and comfortable. The location is great. We are planning to stay again, longer, next time we go to Ocean City.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you so much for your kind words. We are glad that your stay was an enjoyable experience that you felt comfortable sharing with everyone. Please call 410 289 9455 when booking for next stay with us I would love to work out a vacation package for you.

1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2012

Checked in(booked thru Book-It .com)NEVER AGAIN.without ranting,stay away.Believe it or not,AFTER SEVERAL PROMISES,NO PHONE ENTIRE STAY,NO SAFE,AND A DOOR LOCK THAT RANDOMLY HAD TO BE RE-PROGRAMMED BY STAFF!Should have suspected something,after various promises by Paul,got none of the above,but wife was ripped off by "maintenence men,while fixing lock on last day.440.00 lifted (no safe,remember,no phone to call desk,no a/c.ABSOLUTELY THE WORST HOTEL WE HAVE EVER STAYED IN!After reading reviews,calling Paul to assure an expensive balcony would be OCEAN FRONT,it was,BOOK-IT /Tides kept shifting refund on each other,although promised ,NEVER GOT.
ABSOLUTE TOTAL FILTHY,SEEDY RIP-OFF DUMP.Theft is on record.

Room Tip: bring your own towels and sheets,make sure room is what you wanted before giving credit card,lock ev...
Gettysburg, Pennsylvania
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2012

We thought we would give this a shot; despite the reviews. The outside of this place looked pretty nice, the pictures online made it look nice. Fact is, this place is very old, outdated, and FILTHY DIRTY. I was afraid to touch anything, not to mention sleep there. Our refrigerator did not work, the safe would not lock, the entire place was just so dirty. Way overpriced for what you get. There is only ONE good thing about this property......LOCATION, that's it! I totally would not recommend staying here. I know we never will again. The bed had no mattress pad, the sheets were paper thin, and when we sat on the bed, both ends of the mattress flipped up as we sank in the middle.

Room Tip: there are no good rooms at this hotel!!!
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Tidelands Caribbean Hotel and Suites? Share your experiences!