“Set UP &Robbed” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Tidelands Caribbean Hotel and Suites

You added Tidelands Caribbean Hotel and Suites to your Saves list
Tidelands Caribbean Hotel and Suites
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   409 Atlantic Avenue, 5th Street on the Boardwalk, Ocean City, MD 21842   |
Ranked #81 of 108 Hotels in Ocean City
“Set UP &Robbed”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2012

Checked in(booked thru Book-It .com)NEVER AGAIN.without ranting,stay away.Believe it or not,AFTER SEVERAL PROMISES,NO PHONE ENTIRE STAY,NO SAFE,AND A DOOR LOCK THAT RANDOMLY HAD TO BE RE-PROGRAMMED BY STAFF!Should have suspected something,after various promises by Paul,got none of the above,but wife was ripped off by "maintenence men,while fixing lock on last day.440.00 lifted (no safe,remember,no phone to call desk,no a/c.ABSOLUTELY THE WORST HOTEL WE HAVE EVER STAYED IN!After reading reviews,calling Paul to assure an expensive balcony would be OCEAN FRONT,it was,BOOK-IT /Tides kept shifting refund on each other,although promised ,NEVER GOT.
ABSOLUTE TOTAL FILTHY,SEEDY RIP-OFF DUMP.Theft is on record.

Room Tip: bring your own towels and sheets,make sure room is what you wanted before giving credit card,lock ev...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (88)
Gettysburg, Pennsylvania
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2012

We thought we would give this a shot; despite the reviews. The outside of this place looked pretty nice, the pictures online made it look nice. Fact is, this place is very old, outdated, and FILTHY DIRTY. I was afraid to touch anything, not to mention sleep there. Our refrigerator did not work, the safe would not lock, the entire place was just so dirty. Way overpriced for what you get. There is only ONE good thing about this property......LOCATION, that's it! I totally would not recommend staying here. I know we never will again. The bed had no mattress pad, the sheets were paper thin, and when we sat on the bed, both ends of the mattress flipped up as we sank in the middle.

Room Tip: there are no good rooms at this hotel!!!
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Hanover, Pa
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2012

Our stay at the hotel itself was pretty good. Tidelands was clean, great location and was just what we wanted for our stay during bike weekend. My issues was the manager Susan who came out of the office with a attitude from hell. I had a SUV with a trailer so I could not park in their loading zone. So I parked in the alley right beside their loading zone. Susie came out while my party was upstairs loading the room and gave my the hardiest time about where I had parked. I explained to her what was going on and she kept telling me to move because I was blocking the loading zone but she failed to realize I was unloading as well. She really raised my blood pressure. Susie needs better customer serve in my opinion but I didn't let her ruin my weekend.

I had another issue with trailer parking. They told me I was not aloud to park my vehicle with trailer in any of their lots but there were many people parking their SUV with trailers in the Tidelands lots all weekend.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
TidelandsHotel, Manager at Tidelands Caribbean Hotel and Suites, responded to this review, May 20, 2013
Upon reviewing the comments on listed under your reservation, the front desk informed you of where you should be parking your trailer. There are designated remote parking lots for trailers. You did not want to park in the remote lot, nor were you loading or unloading. By staying parked in the loading zone for a number of hours, you made it very difficult for other guests to check in and unload their vehicles. The Tidelands Caribbean Hotel has rules and regulations regarding parking and we hope that our guests respect such rules.
Greensburg, Pennsylvania, United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2012

I have to say we did read some of the reviews but were willing to give this hotel a chance. I can honestly say we will never be staying here again. I would not recommend this hotel to anyone. The best part was being on the boardwalk. Toaster did not work, only one burner worked on the stove, the skirting on the bed & the drapes had stains all over them. Area where you can hang your clothes had stains/ mold on wall.. I have to say a total general cleaning of this hotel needs to be done. Just walking into the hotel, stains on the walls.. dirty trim, all it would take is a good cleaning & painting and this hotel would be fine. Very dissapointed. Luckly we did not experience the bed bugs as I have heard now.. but honestly not a good place to stay.. do not waster your money.

Room Tip: do not stay here
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Pennsylvania
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2012

We stayed at a suite in the Tidelands the past two years – last year over the 4th and this year over Labor Day. On both occasions the goal was a low cost trip with friends and on both occasions the Tidelands delivered. We were interested in reasonably priced accommodations with a pool and a patio off of the room located near the boardwalk. I was dismayed by the poor reviews, but decided to stay there again based on our previous experience. First of all, bed bugs are a serious accusation and I’d hope a reviewer wouldn’t use this term flippantly. I would argue any serious reports of bedbugs would be to the Department of Health and the area would be quarantined, as I’ve seen happen locally. I saw no evidence of such and frankly suspect the references are due to a few vindictive patrons. Our mattress (while certainly not the most comfortable) was in great shape and free of stains, etc.
In my opinion, the hotel is priced appropriately for its location, amenities, and level of service. The hotel certainly has its pros and cons and I’ll address a few of them below along with a few takeaways.
The hotel has the ideal location with beach views available and right on the boardwalk between Shenanigans and Hooters. The rooms are clean, spacious, and all feature a nice-sized balcony. The sliding door was in great shape with a nice sheer curtain under a black-out curtain (which came in handy as we enjoyed sleeping in). The air conditioning was controlled locally by a thermostat and fantastic. While it was hot and humid outside it was always a cool 70 degrees in our suite. Parking is provided below the hotel and in an overflow lot a few blocks back. They advertise one spot per room, but did offer us a second “overflow only” spot upon request because we booked a suite. The free ice machine is large/industrial and conveniently located on the 3rd floor. The pool bar had decent appetizers and reasonably priced (for the location) drinks.
The rooms feature a tiled floor. While this was clean upon our arrival, we carried our share of sand into the room. Maid service seems to be limited to taking out the trash, swapping towels, and making the bed. They don’t seem to clean the floor, etc. except between guests. The maid did have a bad habit of spraying some type of cologne when finished, I would have preferred she pass, but it did dissipate. While the bathroom was clean, the water pressure is lacking. That being said, we never had issues with temperature and the pressure was enough to bathe. Both pools tend to fill with children whose parents don’t seem to supervise them, but this can’t be blamed on the hotel. If I were in charge I’d send the children to the rooftop pool and leave the pool near the bar as “adults only,” but I don’t see this happening. The rooftop pool is a bit frustrating because there is no public bathroom nearby and the buildings aren’t connected.

Room Tip: I recommend a room on the top floor with an ocean view - the others overlook the street.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Ronkonkoma, New York
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2012

My wife and I chose this Hotel because it was on the Boardwalk, had a good pool, and looked ok in the photo's. This hotel was not all bad, however, it was not a great hotel by any means.
-The Good - Great location to beach and Boardwalk- You can't beat staying on the Boardwalk in my opinion unless your are looking to keep things very quiet. - The hotel had two pools, one on the roof and one on the 2nd floor. The 2nd floor Pool had a nice Bar and Grill, The Blue Fin - Very friendly service. The Balcony was nice and big and gave us room for our Beach Chairs and their own patio chairs.
- The Bad - The Room did have a musty smell to it, especially when the A/C was on. The cleaning service not so great. We had to request new towels even though they took our dirty towels. I was also annoyed because the second night I had spilled drinks all over the and bed we had in our room including the sheets. The sheets were soaked yet the cleaning crew just made the bed and left the wet sheets on the bed. I guess my fault as I should have asked for new sheets but I had figured common sense would prevail. The room was old, and the fridge did Ice over but that was because the people before me had it on MAX. The bed was not all that comfortable. The room did not have enough pillows. Also, on our first night at the hotel, the fire alarm went off at 2:30 AM with no explanation as to why.
-My overall opinion is that for the money, the hotel was not the best option, however, I do think that a bunch of 20 something kids would be able to deal with this place without any issue. If your looking for a full resort experience, then staying at another hotel may be your best decision. If you're in town for a few days, don't plan on doing anything in the room other then sleeping, and don't care about the little things, then this is a good place to stay.

Room Tip: The Blue Fin Bar at pool side is a nice place to go before dinner or even before going out at night.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Drexel Hill, Pennsylvania
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2012

Below is an email sent to tidelands that included pictures we have yet to be contacted by anyone.

Our stay at the Tidelands Caribbean Hotel was much less than stellar.  We arrived at the property on 8/26/2012 and will depart on
8/30/2012.  We decided on this particular hotel because we're Travel Agents and occasionally we get requests from clients wish to be recommended to a few of the smaller hotels that don't carry a big, well-known name.

Upon arrival we stated that we were Travel Agents which was also stated on our reservation.  On our way to the room we immediately noticed certain things that we felt should have addressed.  As we exited the elevator on the 4th floor there was a terrible smell that greeted us.  It smelled possibly of mold, very musty and it carried throughout the entire 4th floor.  The carpet was well-vacuumed, but it was wet in some places.  This could have been from guests tracking water up from the pool which was located on the 2nd floor, but interestingly, none of the other floors had that smell.  When we entered the suite, we noticed that the lampshades were stained, had what appeared to be mold on them and had what appeared to be strands of human hair on one of them (there were a total of 5 lamps in the suite) we have included pictures. Also, there were no face-plates covering the electrical outlets in the room with the balcony.  The floors in the suite weren't sticky or spotty, but they definitely were grimy!  Walking barefoot on them before our trip to the beach netted an unwanted amount of sand and grit.  Room service was non-existent and expressing our concerns to the front desk was met with silence and long faces.  At one point, one of the ladies at the font desk told an older gentleman who was in training that he can "expect to get a lot of complaints about room cleaning".

Of course we expressed our concerns to the front desk and asked to speak to the manager.  We were told he wasn't available.  We left our business cards and asked that he call us in the morning (the morning of day 2).  We received no such call.  This room cleaning issue was a constant so we questioned the front desk for the manager again.  We were immediately told that he wasn't there at the time.  We then questioned the front desk attendants as to the room cleaning policy for the hotel.  We figured maybe the policy was such that one would have to REQUEST their room to be cleaned, otherwise it wouldn't be.  It was at this point the she walked away from us entered the back room for about 15 seconds came right back out with the manager.

The manager, Paul Kahn, was calm and attentive.  Interestingly, he denied ever getting our request for him to call us and said he never received our business cards.  He did make a call to housekeeping to inquire about what happened, had someone go clean our room immediately and asked for another business card.
However, we met with the same thing again the next day.

The bright spot by far was The BlueFin Restaurant/Bar!!  They were amazing.  Very attentive with a smile, drinks and food were great , they were able to recommend certain items on the menu and they even came out to service the guest while out at the pool!  Kudos to them!!

Very dissatisfied and unhappy. A waste of money. Unfortuanatly will not be recommending to our clients and would like some feedback from property owner.

Room Tip: Stay away if you want your room cleaned
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled on business

Been to Tidelands Caribbean Hotel and Suites? Share your experiences!