“Best wings around” 4 of 5 stars

Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Late Night
Wyomissing, Pennsylvania
“Best wings around”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2012 via mobile

For two summers, I lived in Ocean City in a house on 91st street with a few friends. It didn't take long for me to discover this local bar.

First, the good: Best wings I've ever had. The house sauce is a perfect mix between tangy and heat. The wings themselves were quite large and fried to perfection. It's crazy to think that you could find great wings in a beach resort town, but Kirby's breaks the mold. The rest of the food is quite good as well.

Now for the not so good: The bar is pretty tiny. Most busy nights it will be standing room only, and the space between the tables and the bar stools is pretty narrow. If you don't have a good seat at the bar, prepare to have to fight to get a drink. And if you're standing near the entrance, it could take a good two minutes just to work your way past the crowded room and make it to the bathrooms.

One last thing (and this won't apply to many of you), but don't try getting in here on a busy night with a passport for ID. I worked in a restaurant with many people from other countries. When I told them how good the wings were, we tried getting in one night after work. Well, my foreign friends were denied entry because the bouncers and owner would only accept a US driver's license. It was pretty ridiculous, considering you can get into Seacrets (or any other major club) using a passport without any problem.

This place definitely has a local dive-bar feel to it, so perhaps they were just trying to keep out foreigners. Either way, it was pretty embarrassing ("Hey guys, I know a great place we can go after work! Oh wait, you're not allowed in.")

The bottom line is, if you have a yearning for wings while in Ocean City, you simply must stop in. But if you have friends visiting from another country, forget about it.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

Glen Burnie, Maryland
“cool bar/awesome people”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2012

I liked for one it was right across the street from the hotel. Small but very friendly atmosphere. The food was so good. You get your money worth. The steamed shrimp..oh god. the wings holy crap. just great.

Visited June 2011
Ocean City, Maryland, United States
“Chef should know doneness on burgers.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 19, 2011

Worked all day, finished up shopping, decorating, etc. Decided to get a burger before going home. Half price burger night is awesome. Stopped in, asked for a medium rare, even mentioned to have it on the rare side. Waited, got served, oh my, there wasn't a bit of pink. So I asked the bartender, she agreed, asked if I would like to do something about it, I said no. But, I mentioned that I had asked for it to be a little more on the rare side. I paid my bill, but will order it rare next time, and won't feel bad about how many times I send it back to get it right. Because, overdone can NEVER get it right.

• Visited December 2011
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
chicago
“friendly pub”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2011

Across from the Princess royale, good place for a beer. We didnt eat here but it smelled great!

Visited October 2011
Pasadena, MD
“Great OC Neighborhood Bar”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2011

Whenever the wife and I are in Ocean City, we make it point to stop by Kirby's Pub. The food is always good and reasonably priced. And the staff has always been helpful and friendly.

Kirby's also has a decent variety of beers. In the fall months, they usually have a pumpkin ale which I always enjoy. The crowd can be a bit loud so be prepared. It always seems like a party at here and that's fine with me. After all, it's a bar! We have always enjoyed chatting with the regular crowd as well as some of the travelers we have met there.

I expect to make many more stops to Kirby's in the upcoming years!

• Visited October 2010