“Finally - A seafood place in OC I would return to!” 4 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Seafood, Fish & Chips, Soups, Sandwiches
Good for: Families with children, Local cuisine
Good for: Families with children, Local cuisine
Downingtown, PA
“Finally - A seafood place in OC I would return to!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2013

Since our family started vacationing in OC, my wife and I have been on the hunt for a place that serves good, quality seafood. There are a lot of pretenders here and we have been met with disappointment quite a few times. After reading the reviews and seeing their high rating amongst OC restaurants, I figured it was worth a shot. Now that I have been, it is safe to say we will visit many times in the future. Seafood is very fresh, the portions are sizable, and there is kid friendly food for those in your party that are not seafood minded. They have a nice selection of craft beer and domestic drafts. My only complaints are minor. Service was slow on a slow night. As the previous review mentioned, the fried food was overfried (deep brown). The cleanliness is average, but was what I expected for a restaurant that is essentially a 3 season room. When we are back in OC next year, I would like to try their take out and plan to sample more of their menu. Two things I would recommend trying are the tuna tacos (with spicy sauce) and the lump crabcakes (which had essentially no filler). Pricing is more than reasonable for the amount that you get. Overall, we were a very happy family leaving the Shrimp Boat.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere

86% Recommend
SGP
“Stay away from the fried food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2013

Tried the fish n chips and fried soft shell crab. It was bad. They were fried to almost burn and comes with soggy fries. The fish was fishy, definitely not the catch of the day. The portion was small too. On the other hand, we tried the steamed crab, steamed shrimp and steamed clams, they were great. Portions are huge and seafood were fresh.
Not much ambience and the service was rather slow that day. But for that price, it's still reasonable to go there again.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Loving it”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2013

Had a great time at the shrimp boat. The actual restaurant was closed because of a private event but we were able to dine outside and got great service. The staff was super nice. I joked that my crab loving nephew who is 8 needed a lesson in crab eating. Captain Tom was nice enough to come over and give him a thorough demo on crab eating that had our whole table cracking them open in no time.

The shrimp tacos are amazing, hush puppies = amazing. I can't say enough good things about this place. I had a blast.

Visited June 2013
“Great off the beat and path”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2013 via mobile

Not on the water, or at the beach, but who care is the food is good. Kind of a shack style restaurant. Cream of crab soup "excellent", fresh shrimp are large and not over spiced. Skip the fried foods, tend to be a bit greasy. But if you go with fresh fish or shrimp you won't be disappointed.

Owner is great, very down home. Great place to stop at before or after you land at the local airport. Can't beat the price either. You would pay triple the price at the ocean and it may not be as good, but you are paying for a view not the food.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Souderton, Pennsylvania
“local hidaway”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2013

Shrimp was juicy, fresh caught from the carolinas. Was told about this place by a local who said her family comes here for all their seafood.

Visited June 2013