“Great First Experience for 10 Year Old” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #13 of 61 Activities in Ocean City
Type: Boat Tours, Adventure
More attraction details
Owner description: Offering Ocean City, MD bay fishing, private charters and parties, jet ski rentals, kayak and paddleboard rentals, and clamming, SUP, kayak, and Assateague Island eco-tours!
Newark, Delaware, United States
“Great First Experience for 10 Year Old”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2013

I took my 10 year old daughter on the Calico Jack on July 3rd as a birthday present. She loves fishing and this was her first experience on a headboat. The captain and the mate were absolutely terrific and made sure everyone had fun and spent as much time as possible with a line in the water. We caught three flounder between us, two of which were keepers, and my daughter had an absolute blast. Her only complaint was that the trip wasn't longer.

I've been on a lot of headboats where the atmosphere was serious/tense, the crew was surly, and the atmosphere was not what I prefer for "Daddy's little girl". This was completely the opposite. Everyone was having fun and sociable even if they weren't catching anything.

We would definitely do this again!

Visited July 2013
BackBay12, Owner at Back Bay Adventures, responded to this review, July 30, 2013
We are so happy to hear that your daughter had a wonderful birthday on our boat! We love having kids on the boat and thank you for your review! Back Bay Adventures Mgmt.

Rising Sun, Maryland
8 attraction reviews
“Great Bay Fishing Boat”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2013

My family went fishing this morning on the Calico Jack. Great fishing trip! We got lucky and high tide was rolling in as we began to fish. The crew was wonderful! Very friendly, attentive and helpful. Lots of fish were caught. Only 2 keepers though. But that's fishing for ya! Every place we stopped fish were on someone's hook. They provide free bait. Rod rentals and live bait are $5 each. I had both my young kids with us - ages 7 and 5. Both of my kids fish, so they were no problem. The crew is great with young kids too! If you are looking to do some flounder fishing on the bay, these are the guys to go with! They do ask for a cash tip (15-20%) so make sure you bring that along. They totally earned their tip in my opinion. I recommend this to anyone who wants a non-stressful bay fishing experience. Check the tides to make sure you are choosing a good time slot for fishing reservations. We went down and reserved a time slot the first day down here. I would recommend doing the same.

Visited July 2013
BackBay12, Owner at Back Bay Adventures, responded to this review, July 24, 2013
Thank you so much for your accurate review of the Calico Jack! We are glad that you had a wonderful time and we hope to see you and your family again soon!
Havre de Grace, Maryland
“Perfect Location Friendly Crew”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2013

Since opening last year, Calico Jack is at the top of our to do list when we are in ocean city with our grandchildren. All you have to do is bring yourself and lunch and they supply the rest. The crew is excellent in assisting the children as well as the adults when needed. It is an affordable way to see ocean city from the water as well as entertaining the fisherman in our family. Looking forward to trying one of their other cruises such as clamming in August.

Visited June 2013
Thank you for the great review and we are so glad you enjoyed your fishing trip!
Newark, Delaware
“Reservations?”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2013

I initially made a reservation with a young man over the phone but seriously doubted his abiltity to complete the transaction and secure our spots on the boat. I did however receive a follow up call & confirmation from the owners wife Candance. She was very personable, pleasant and apologetic that i had difficulties making a reservation.

Once arriving at Back Bay Adventures, we found the facilities to be clean and welcoming with a new docking area, small clean picnic area, and small air conditioned tackle / gift shop, and free parking. The boat itself, The Calico Jack, was spit shine clean before our trip. It's obvious the owner, Capt. Mike and mate Kevin take great pride in keeping it clean. We departed on a 3 hour back bay flounder trip which consisted of drifts over the East Channel down to AI and a quick trip up to the Thorofare and back down. Only a handful of "Flatties" were caught with just one keeper but that is why they call it fishing and not catching.

Aside from my initial apprehensions from my first phone call and trying to make a reservation, Capt, Mike, mate Kevin, and Candace, made for a pleasurable experience & afternoon on the water in the back bays of OC. Don't think we will use anyone else (west OC) ever again.

Thank you Capt. Mike & Back Bay Adventures

Visited July 2013
Thank you for your review! We are glad that your uncertainties were cleared up and that you had a great time! See you again soon!
“My kind of people!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2013 via mobile

We had a great trip! Captain and Mate are caring knowledgeable fishermen. The allowed our kids up in the pilot house to steer with them. And they absolutely made sure all the youngsters on the boat got to pull in a flounder. All around great time. Looking forward to next year and hopefully a sunset cruise. Thanks guys.

Visited June 2013
We are happy to hear that your kids had a great time! We strive to accommodate all ages and we appreciate your review. Hopefully, we will see you and your family again soon! Thanks!