“10th street, not 6th street” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Americana Hotel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Americana Hotel
913 Atlantic Avenue, Ocean City, MD 21842   |
Ranked #90 of 107 hotels in Ocean City
CENTREVILLE
“10th street, not 6th street”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2013

my most recent stay was at the end of october, weather is usually nice and crowds are gone. I always laugh at some of these reviews of this and other beach hotels from people who think they are at a 4 star in a city. these are beach hotels. they take alot of abuse and upkeep is hard from water, sand and alcohol, and sometimes people themselves.
I have stayed here on several occasions at different times of the year, in and out of season. overall, a pretty good hotel and cheaper $$$ compared to others. pool is small and just off the lobby. staff has always been friendly, rooms are big and most times, clean. on my past visit, the linens were clean, the carpet clean and not needing stretching. bed was comfy. yes, the hallway had some patch wallpaper covering mistakes, and the carpet stained off the elevator, but its the beach. how many beers and coconut oil feet have been there-which absorb dirt from other people steeping on it.
no hair dryers or cooking utensils, but how many times do you figure they fall into somebodies luggage accidentally. so bring your own. no toaster or coffee maker-how many pots do you think break. there is a fridge and nuker.and there was a sign at the desk to take out your trash. i did, but i dont think there is a penalty. but imagine in the summer with all the bottles and pizza boxes. is it an inconvience to go out the door and take 20 steps to the dumpster. if my cleaning person leaves my room looking great, I can do a little to help them out,
overall, my stays, including this one, was nice. while the room might be a little dated and may have some defects, a missing knob or a stained ceiling tile, it is big, clean and comfortable beds. im sure if i look closely, i might find sand in hidden spots, but in 4 months and many cleanings, the carpet in my vehicle will still have sand. if you expect more, stay at a much higher priced place-and you will still find defects.

Room Tip: get a high floor. 6th is highest reg rooms, 7th is the PH with jacuzzi and more $$$$
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple

119 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Arlington
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2013

Just a bit of basic background on myself, I travel about 4 times a month and always stay in various hotels. Very patient and laid back person. Don’t like to complain unless I’ve really been pushed to do so.
“The Americana Hotel" on 10th. There was a 2 night min stay and there were two rooms available. One for a total of $390 the other "Penthouse" for $650. I decided to go with the penthouse. Problems in order:
Elevator... really slow and hot
Hallway was even hotter and smelled like Chinese food.
After waiting 45 mins of turning on AC realized the room is still hot. Called the front desk, front desk guy came to the room and shut ac off with the "red Switch", waited 2 mins and turned it back on and said it was reset and it would be fine now.
2 hours later it was getting hot again. I called guy again and he changed the filter. I'm not an A/C guy but I know a filter does not control the air temp. I told him that didn't make sense but he assured me it would be fine now.
**I step out to the board walk for a few hours - 12am-2am
Come back to room, which was now hot as if the heat was on. New guy comes up and admits it’s really hot and says there are no other rooms available at that time however he will leave a note for the manager that our room has an A/C problem. So now I’m stuck in a room with no a/c, and hot humid weather outside. All night I couldn't sleep.
6am (which is when the manager was supposed to come) I asked for the manager and lady at front said he was busy in the back but I can help you. I tell here of the horrible experience I had and would like a refund. She then points to a sign behind the counter which stated “no refunds after payment". I said I understand if I changed my mind but your room is defective and I have no choice but to leave. I ask to speak with the manager and she tells me he just left (lied to my face). After long time arguing, manager never came out, they never refunded my money and I ended up leaving that morning to another hotel that became vacant.
SUMMARY: 1) WORST customer service. It’s a bunch on non-English speaking Europeans who know nothing of American customer service and quite frankly I don't think they give a crap about it either (FYI I am a foreigner to so not trying to take it to any racial level here).
2) WORST Hotel rooms very crappy. The "penthouse" had ripped carpet, dirty blankets, and the so called "Jacuzzi" was disgusting dirty looking as well. Not to mention A/C issues. Furthest thing from a penthouse.
3)I tried following up a few times to speak with the manager the following week however he never seemed to be available and no one else appeared to be able to assist me....
AT the end of this ordeal, I paid $650 for a hotel that was by far the worst hotel I have stayed at, and has by far the worst staff, and didn't even stay the time for I had paid for, and never was able to get a refund either. DO NOT EVER STAY AT THIS HOTEL!!!!!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Altoona, Pennsylvania
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2013

This hotel needs a thorough overhaul. The walk to our room on the 4th floor had two big holes in the cement walkway that was dangerous. The steps are covered in black crud and litter. There are pieces missing on the sides of the walls going to the room. There is a broken chair that is setting by the elevator that needs tossed.
There is a coffee maker but no coffee. No handles on any cupboard. Lights that do not work. NO HAIR DRYER!! The refrigerator freezer had no door. We had to get tokens from the front desk to get ice out of the ice machine and could not fill our cooler.
There was a random noise between the walls of the rooms that clunked very loudly every once in a while....not sure what caused it.
One of the "rules" was that we were to take out our own trash. However, this was not enforced and housekeeping did empty our trash cans.
The front desk folks were all young and very nice.
The view we had was oceanfront and right beside the Kite Loft. This was the definite plus. It was during Sunfest and there was a kite show going on, also, so we had a great place to watch it all.
Housekeeping was very nice and made the beds and replaced towels and soap.
I would not stay here again. The rates are high for the service provided.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2013

I don't know which street the other reviewers stayed on but, we stayed on 10th Street on the boardwalk above Hammerheads. The staff was very friendly, the maids did an excellent job keeping the room clean, the oceanfront view on the top floor was awesome and the price was very reasonable. We were worried about staying after reading other reviews but, was happy we stayed here. The staff is not shady like some reviewers said. I take 4 different medications and left them on the counter for 4 days and nobody touched them. The hotel did not smell, we were not overcharged, the lights worked and there were no burn holes in the mattress. The only things at this hotel that would improve the ratings I believe would be: #1 The elevators: They could use 2 more of them. #2 The pool: We didn't really care if the hotel had a pool but, just wanted to see it anyway since it was right in the lobby and it was very small. #3 The parking: We were lucky to find a spot when we arrived and we didn't go anywhere we couldn't walk to because we knew our space would be gone if we did.

Room Tip: Stay on the very top floor 709 the view is awesome and no noise from other rooms there are only 5 ro...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2013

Roaches in room. Was told 6 people would fit in a very small room (really). Had to get additional room which was just as small to accommodate everyone. No Handel on outside door, outside steps smelled of urine I don't think they have ever been power washed. Front desk staff was terrible and rude. No Internet connection even though they said they did, had to prove it , still no response. Man at the front desk was checking parking stickers but he looked like he was checking more than that. 4th cleaning lady very nice but I am sure she was way over worked and under paid, only nice person working for hotel.

• Stayed August 2013
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2013 via mobile

Wallpaper hanging off the walls, burn holes in the mattresses and sheets, lights didn't work, ply wood under the mattress and it was the worst bed I've ever slept on, elevators are so old and scary. I would rather sleep outside the here again

• Stayed August 2013
Punxsutawney, Pennsylvania
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2013

Double check your credit card statement when you get your bill - we were double charged. Not to mention, the place has obviously seen a few too many frat parties. The only good thing about it is the location.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Americana Hotel? Share your experiences!