“Good Value” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #68 of 108 Hotels in Ocean City
Middletown, DE
“Good Value”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2012

We had an oceanview room on the fifth floor. The view was what I expected (we had to look over other buildings, but still was a pretty good view. The room was clean and the two queen beds were comfortable. The one negative is that the sofabed was stained and very uncomfortable. An adult (maybe anyone) would have a very difficult time getting a good nights sleep on the sofabed.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
carouselresort, Manager at Coastal Palms Inn & Suites, responded to this review, September 11, 2012
Dear valued customer, thanks for the review, and thank you for being our guest! Our quaint hotel is located on 120th st. oceanblock and not directly on the beach. Our oceanview rooms are a great value considering we only require a menial cost for the upgraded view. The sofa's are an item which have not been advertised as being new and are not as comfortable as the double queen beds. We do feel as though it's nice to have the sofa bed option, if needed. Thanks again for being our guest, we can't wait to have you stay with us again in the future!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (39)
Staten Island, NY
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2012

Ellagru - I checked in last Thursday and got the coupons. The person at the desk at first couldn't find them, but was able to print them out online after he input my confirmation number (it's on the confirmation e-mail you should have received from them). We used 3 of the coupons with no problem at restaurants.

We usually rent a condo for an entire week, but could only get away for 3 nights this year, which is why we searched for a reasonably priced hotel.

On the plus side: The room was very clean, spacious and well equipped for the price. Great proximity to the beach. And we liked the little balcony - handy for drying towels and enjoying some quiet time with my morning coffee.

On the minus side: Some of the clientele was, well...on the rowdy side. It took away from the nice family atmosphere we like when we are away from home. It was the weekend, lots of younger people, but youth is no excuse for excessive drinking, swearing loudly, etc. Late Saturday night there was a disturbance outside, with noises that sounded like (hopefully!) fireworks.

The pool is very, very small - more like someone's large backyard pool than one in a hotel. But if you prefer the beach, it's no big deal. I have to admit, though, that I missed the huge pool at the condo complex where we usually stay.

Do try The Crabcake Factory restaurant next door for breakfast - pricey, but the crab omelet and beignets were out of this world!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
carouselresort, Manager at Coastal Palms Inn & Suites, responded to this review, August 30, 2012
Dear valued guest, thanks for choosing The Coastal Palms as your 2912 Summer vacation destination! We do sometimes have fireworks on the beach, which is not affiliated with our hotel. We do have 24/7 security on duty to take care of any disturbances our guests may encounter. Our pool is not exceptionally large but we do feel as though it is appropriate for the size of our hotel in comparison with other hotels our size. Thanks again for being our guest, we can't wait to have you again on your next Ocean City Vacation!!
Shavertown, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2012

We just got into town and are staying until Friday. I booked online after reading the reviews of the hotel. Was anxious (rented a crappy condo last year that looked so much better in the picture) but was pleasantly surprised with the room. The room is very spacious, the carpeting is new and the bathroom is clean and was remodeled recently. We are ocean view. The balconies are not private but that is not a big deal. Check in was smooth and the boys that were working were very pleasant. Looking forward to a great week. Will check back at end of week!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear valued guest, thanks so much for choosing our hotel in beautiful Uptown Ocean City. We do not offer any condo's at the Coastal Palms and this is the Grand Opening Summer as of May 2012. Thanks so much for the great review, we truly appreciate all the kind words on our staff and establishment. We cant wait to have you as our guest again in the future!
Mechanicsburg, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2012

Okay, I decided I would say "Why" , I booked this Hotel and what my expectations are.
I will be traveling with my 5 year old, I am a Single Father and I plan to bring a Good friend who can't get away much due to health and finances.

I was looking for a rather inexpensive Beach trip for my Sons first experience of the shore.
I had a beach front place reserved but due to an issue with the online booking agency I used, I cancelled it.

While searching for a new place I found this one and directly through the hotels booking system was able to get a nice room within budget that offers what I am looking by being associated with the Carousel group my biggest fear of the trip being ruined by rain has been taken care of with the Carousel just 2 blocks away with an indoor pool. Which I am hoping won't be needed ,but nice to know its there if it is.

Also the other anemties the Carousel offers that a 5 year old will enjoy when a parent doesn't have alot of cash to to afford staying at such a resort during the summer season..... So that was an incentive for booking.

The fact that they are renovating and improving upon the place and that the Manager actually cares enought about his Hotel to come onto Tripadvisor and comment about the comments made about his hotel.

I have learned alot while reviewing this and other Hotels and this Manager seems to "Get it" on what a Customer is.....

So , will see how the Circles go when I actually stay and get an ipression and opnion of the stay.

Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Dear valued guest, thanks so much for Choosing our quaint Ocean Block hotel for your family Vacation. Here at the Coastal Palms, we understand the economy has been rough and your budget may not have any room for luxury which is why we offer comfortable accommodations at an exceptional value. We do offer a wonderful vacation package for our Carousel Group guests which includes the Carousel Vacation Package. This package consists of a free family photo, 10% discounted dining at any of the Carousel restaurants/bar and grill/ bistro/ Bamboo Lounge, $10 gift certificate for the gift shop, use of arcade, discounted ice skating, tropical lawn, moon bounce, pirate ship and more. We do take the time to respond to each and every comment on Trip Advisor as a courtesy to our guests! Thanks for being our guest, we hope you have enjoyed your experience!
Annapolis, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2012

My family and I visited Coastal Palms for a 2 night/3 day stay. The hotel looks to be new or recently remodeled condition, the rooms are very clean and comfortable, the front desk staff is exceptional, we had a wonderful stay. My preference is to stay a little closer down toward the boardwalk since I have teenage children but if unable to do so I will always look to return to Coastal Palms.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Dear valued guest, thank you so much for staying at the Coastal Palms. There are many advantages to staying in Uptown Ocean City including Northside Park, quieter beaches, great family oriented activities and we are still only a short drive from all the attractions in Downtown Ocean City. Thanks again for being our guest, we cant wait to have you again at the Coastal Palms!
Martinsburg, West Virginia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2012

First of all my parents had a room and it was nicer than our suite. It appeared bigger and was cheaper. The rooms have been upgraded more so than the suites. The elevators in both buildings were slow, noisy, small, and smelt bad. We stayed in a suite with a limited ocean view but it was more like city view. We looked right out at coastal highway and it was very very noisy at all times. When the ac was on it smelled funky and made my throat hurt. The clock radio light was burned out and we could never tell what time it was. The bathroom was very small. The toilet flushed very slowly and I often wondered if it would all go down. Nice flat screen tv's. The cable went out for several hours right when the opening ceremonies were on the USA was next to enter. Parking was not the greatest. It was hard to get the luggage rack through the parking lot. The chairs were nice. Pool looked small, but did not use. The staff was nice. One night the hot water went out but was back in the morning. The balcolonies were not very private. I have stayed at worse places. If u stay here save ur money and stay in a room not a suite.

• Stayed July 2012
Dear valued guest, thanks so much for choosing the Coastal Palms for your family vacation destination. The suites in fact offer an additional room with an extra tv and night stand. The granite top vanity is much larger and the square footage is larger as well. We do admit the elevators are not new but with only 5 floors you should have never had wait. We are sorry about the cable, the town of Ocean City has had many complaints regarding Comcast this Summer and we are expecting better service in the upcoming seasons. Thank you so much for being our guest, we look forward to having you again in the future!
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2012

Let me start by saying that we booked this room on it being a "ocean view" room with a private balcony. This was way more like a motel. We got stuck of the 4th floor in the corner of the hotel and the view of the ocean could only be seen if you looked between three very large buildings, and it was still very hard to see the ocean. When I made the reservation I was going to get a city view room, but I wanted a "private balcony" so the guy from the carousel group told me to book a ocean view room and that they had private balcony's. Farthest thing from a private balcony ever. To begin we had the smallest balcony in the hotel because we were in the corner. The only thing separating us from the people in the next room was a railing that was a little over waist high. What kind of privacy is that? Since we were in the corner of the hotel they had to split the balcony for our room and the other corner room with some type of plastic separation wall that made our balcony half as small as everyone else, very cheap move. We also noticed that both of our chairs on the balcony were different. One of them was very nice and the other one looked like they went over to CVS and bought it for $2, another cheap move.

I was told the hotel was renovated recently but the hallways all throughout the hotel were very dirty and it looked like the place was still being renovated. I was told that their would be a safe in my room and when I got there, what do you know, no safe. This made my girlfriend very upset because she has had things taken out of different hotel rooms in the past, even with a safe in it. She did not want to have maids come into the room because of this reason and wanted to leave multiple times due to her not being able to leave stuff out in our room. When you were out on the balcony it was hard to hear anything over the very loud air conditioning unit from other rooms.

At about $200 a night I could not believe that this is what I got from what was supposed to be an ocean view room. If you are looking for an ocean view room with a private balcony, DO NOT STAY HERE. Overall I was very very disappointed and I vowed to never stay in a hotel room again that says ocean view if its not right on the beach. I really expected a whole lot more from this place because I thought it was going to be a great vacation. What a let down!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Coastal Palms Inn & Suites? Share your experiences!