“POOR MANAGEMENT” 1 of 5 stars

Ranked #95 of 107 hotels in Ocean City
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“POOR MANAGEMENT”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2012

I stayed the week of August 12 - 19th at the WAVES and the apartment are very spacious; however, when I pulled the blanket back off the bed it was a big pee stain on the blanket. I brought my own linen and I even washed their blanket at the laundrymat down the street. It was explained to me when I arrived that I may recieve my deposit before the 30day mark so I called one week later and a lady at East Coast Management told be that it went out the day before yesterday (August 25th) and I called again on August 31st and Tiffany the manager was not the nicest. She stated we have 30 - 45 days to return your deposit by the state of Md law and that I will get it on the 30th day and not before and if I recieve it after the 30 days but before 45 days then they are still with in the law limitation. I explained to my previous two phone calls and she said, I don't know why they told you that and they must have must understood me and you will get your deposit on Sept 19th. I am very Curious about this Co and I will be reporting them to the BBB if I do not recieve my security deposit on Sept 19th as Tiffany stated and I had a witness on the phone.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family

23 people have reviewed this hotel

Couples
Solo
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2012 via mobile

I had read the others reviews of the hotel before staying at The Waves for senior week and became very nervous. My mom had called to ask about the "scam" several of them mentioned and the woman on the phone had calmed most of our fears so we had assumed the reviews were just a few kids exaggerating their experience. This was not the case. A similar scenario with "security" (two older men and one teenager with plastic badges) happened to us. The men came in claiming they saw someone underage (the person they claimed turns 21 in one week and looks much older, they had no way or knowing he was underage) with a beer in his hand through the curtain a moment earlier (the curtains were closed except for a TINY crack). They also said they patrolled the room 5 times each night and that we had been very good because we cleaned up our alcohol bottles and were never loud. This pissed me off because it made it more than obvious that these men had been literally preying on us all week, waiting for the oppurtunity to get us in trouble and evict us so that our deposit could be forfeited. I understand that we were doing something illegal, and that it is their job to stop things like that. But we never gave them a reason to suspect anything and were beyond extremely careful all week to avoid getting in trouble. On top of ALL that, the place is a piece of crap and not worth the money. Especially when you lose your deposit, which you will because they will bust you if they think you're underage whether they have true reasoning or not. Seniors, do yourselves a favor and just stay away. Listen to the reviews...it doesn't matter if you're loud or not, security will stalk you until they have a "reason" to bust you! They allow no appeal to eviction, even when a good case could possibly be made. Just stay somewhere else and avoid a week being ruined! Please!!!

• Stayed June 2012
Marysville, Washington
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2012

First, I do not condone underage drinking. That being said, I know that no matter how much we speak to our teenagers, they usually do drink when down for senior week. Someone pointed out these reviews before our kids went to the beach for senior week. I called ECM because I was very concerned about "security" entering rooms without anyone home, coming in the condos in the middle of the night, claims made against the kids by "security" family members who happen to live in the building or stay there and what appeared to amount to spying on our kids, etc. I was assured that this wasnt the case, they were a family friendly condo, kids were welcome, but only if they were well behaved, not making noise, not caught with alcohol, drugs, etc.,that everything would be fine. What she didnt say was that "security" would "check-up", (spy) on our children all day and night. According to "security", someone "spotted" an underage person drinking a beer when the curtians moved away from the patio window after someone shut the front door. One, not sure how they could KNOW this person was underage and two, why were they peering in the slider window when the kids had not been loud or doing anything to require a closer look? When they, "security" came in, they dont approach the person they eventually said they saw drinking, but asked how old the first man they encounter was. When he replied he was 21 and the second man said he was 20, one of the "security" guards then says, "oh, it was that one then..." pointing to the one who was underage. As it turned out, the kids did have a case of beer and a number of bottles of alcohol. "Security" asked for all alcohol to be placed on counter, checked around for more, took a photo of it and then had them pour it out. The "security" even remarked how well behaved they had been until they spotted the "underage drinker" through the gap in the curtians, that they had been coming by 5-6 times a night and hadnt seen or heard anything negative. Although I am no legal expert, renters, even teenagers do have an expectation of privacy. Peering in windows without any complaints or evidence of wrong doing should be illegal. When I came down the next morning, I was told by the kids they had until 9am to be out and coincidentally, the office didnt open until 9am. I tried to reach management and was told my issue wasnt an emergency and would have to wait until they opened. I finally get someone to answer the phone and tell them I am at the condo, wanted to find out what could be done to allow kids to stay (I am one of the parents, by the way), etc and am told they would have to contact someone else and they would call me back. A woman with ECM does call with a very rude, nasty older man on the phone at the same time. I assumed he was "security". Although he did give me his name, he never gave me his position. When I pointed out that I didnt appreciate his being nasty or rude to me, that I wasnt a teenager to be pushed around, he basically says he didnt have an attitude, but could get one with me "real quick" if I wanted. I will assume this is the same intimidation tact he employs with our kids. He goes on to tell me that there was no way the kids would be allowed to stay after being "caught" with alcohol. (When I called prior to them going down, the ECM person I spoke with me assured me that if their was an incident, that they didnt automatically get evicted. She said it would depend on how "respectful" the kids were to security, their behavior prior to any infraction, etc.) The conversation turns to if they, meaning ECM doesnt want teenagers staying there, they shouldnt rent to them. He says that they, ECM, dont do the renting and they, all the places in OC, have no choice but to rent to anyone over 18 or risk being fined. I am an adult. I can appreciate the position ECM could be put in if something were to happen on their property because of underage drinking, but this is a risk they take with adults that drink also. They arent peering into their windows, "checking-up" on them, by their own admission, 5-6 times a night, and not pushing their way in to see IF anyone is drinking underage. If I rent a place, can they come in because I have a teenager and I, a legal adult, am having a drink????? While disappointed in our kids for the alcohol, I believe this company hires "security" to actively spy on our kids in order to "catch" them doing something. Just because our kids ended up having an infraction, doesnt mean the manner in which is was discovered is right or legal. I find it more than a little unnerving that these men, no matter what their job, were peering in the windows of a condo at our kids, a condo they were legally renting. We know of 9 other "groups" that were kicked out this week. Thats $4500. Oh, by the way, we know this because the security guards bragged about that fact. They bragged about encountering 3 naked girls the day before, one of which a security guard gave his jacket to, the amounts of alcohol they have seen and had poured out in the last few days, etc. Aside from all of this, the place was dank and smelled very bad. Am having to wash everything I able to throw in the washer to get the smell out of my kids belongings. I actually rented a place personally for a long weekend at the time we booked this in another of ECM's buildings. It was filthy, smelled like cat urine and like someone smoked 1000 ciggerettes and closed the place up with all the smoke still in there. Their answer to this problem was that the, "...carpets kind of smelled like cat urine because they may have been damp...", and they brought some sort of machine that was suppose to get rid of the stench. This is a terrible company to do business with. Stay clear. Dont care how many reviews say it isnt that bad. I've had two bad experiences in the past 3 months. The problems arent a fluke.

Room Tip: go anywhere that isnt run by East Coast Management.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2011

I stayed at the Waves for a week at the end of June. I was a bit skeptical due to the ratings, but reasonably optimistic. The stay was fine. It was definitely roomy, plenty of space for four adults and two kids, my brother and his girlfriend even stayed with us for a night and it was still comfy. The closet door almost fell on my two year old, but we caught it before it did. If you have kids, definitely do a safety check before settling in, the place is pretty old. It is literally a few yards away from the beach, so it is nice to be able to walk right to it. The problem came in when we left. The management company we went through, East Coast Mgmt requires a $500 deposit. They say it could take up to 30 days to get you money back. Well, not only did it take more than 30 days (38 days to be exact), but two days later, there check bounced!!!!! I simply couldn't believe it, when I saw my account, but it was true! I called them and they were extremely unapologetic. The girl who answered the phone on a Friday said,"I'll let the owner know on Monday and she'll get back to you.." Unbelievable...I eventually got her to call the owner right away and she told me to go back to the bank and try again, "that shouldn't have happened." They never apologized, they even tried to blame it on the bank. I went back to the bank and they actulally checked their account for me due to what happened and made sure the check wouldn't bounce again. However, this unprossional East Coast Management Co. still owes me $10 in NSF charges and just to give you an idea of how long it took to get my money back, I stayed there on June 21st, I just am still waiting for their check to clear as of August 14th. Never ever give these people your money! There is no telling if you will get it back!

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2011

We rented a timeshare. The Waves is easy to find and set along the Coastal Highway. When we arrived the impression was a worn unit, yet spacious. It was very clean. We were very comfortable throughout the week with easy access to the beach and amenities. I really liked the indoor pool. The beds made for a good nights sleep. There was not a lot of road noise unless a door was open. I could not hear any neighbors. We had a great time!

If you are an under aged drinker this is not the place to be. It is great for families.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
Mexico City, Mexico
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2011

We get there and everyone is very nice they tell us to be safe etc. we walk in and the place smells there was a stench of i dont even know and the bed count was a lie. Our doors in there were broken already and sheets/blankets smelt bad. So a great start, on top of that the same story that everyone has said happened exactly the same to us they lied about a noise complaint and even changed their story the 50 year old jokes of security guards. And that fat lady came and said we were evicted. They didn't even have the decency to give us our deposit back or give us a chance to appeal to the eviction. Basically its a bunch of pricks running a fake motel and you will get evicted don't think its just some people these reviews should help you and please listen i don't want anyone to go through what I had to.

Room Tip: Dont Rent from here
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled with friends
Downingtown, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2010

The place was big and clean and decorated nicely. Did it have the view that we dream of? No, but I knew that going in. It was ocean side, which I want with young kids. It was close to the beach. It had the amenities that I need (Central Air, Washer/Dryer, Kitchen, Beds). Really, what do you use a condo for down the beach? Somewhere to sleep and eat (most nights) and store your boogie board when you are not on the beach. Somebody complained about the proximity to the boardwalk on another review...please, buy a map. Can the owners be at fault that the place, built sometime in the 70s or 80s, was 140 blocks from the boardwalk that was built some 70 years prior? If that's all you can complain about, then the place served your needs. The only complaints I had was the kitchen utensils were kind of spartan, but we made do and had a great time. We would go back in a heartbeat. The other complaint was East Coast Management, who promised maintenance when we had a problem with the cable tv our first night, and apparently the bimbo never put in a request for maintenance....the problem took maintenance 5 minutes to fix the next day. But that was a problem with the idiot at East Coast Management, not the building, which we would stay at again.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family

Been to The Waves? Share your experiences!