“Anniversary Trip” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Empress Motel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Empress Motel
You added Empress Motel to your Saves list
20th Street and Baltimore Avenue, Ocean City, MD 21843   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #63 of 107 Hotels in Ocean City
Punxsutawney, Pennsylvania
“Anniversary Trip”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2013

We have been to Ocean City before and stayed at a place off the board walk , I have to say the location is wonderful. The hotel is 1/2 block from the slower end of the boardwalk which was great for us! Very quite and nice clean room! The staff were all very nice and helpful. We stayed on the 3rd floor and it was very nice and quite there. The only SLIGHT problems were no elevator, but if that is a problem ask for the first floor! The wifi did not work in our room , but that was nice I used my time to relax and not n the computer. Our room was very clean and comfy, it is an older hotel but they keep it VERY NICE. None of the problems the other people mentioned/ Air worked great colder than I needed, pool was great , towels were fine . They do charge for ice but I understand . Would go back great older hotel ! The nicest guest were there when we were there, every thing was GREAT!!!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple

Solo
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
New York City, New York
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2013

This was my first trip to Ocean City and I travelled with my wife and two teenage daughters. We loved Ocean City and plan to return. The beach/town we loved, the motel we did not. That does not mean it would not be right for you. You just need to know what you are in for.
Yes the price was one of the lowest I was able to find online. There are a tremendous number of hotels in Ocean City. There were dozens and doezens of hotels advertising vacancies, had I known this I may have just headed to town and tried to get my best deal by popping into the places that looked nice. In retrospect I think I may have been able to get a better price than I did at the Empress. Anyway, the Empress price was the best I found for pre a booked reservation.
The location is hard to beat. Unless your hotel fronts the beach (and plenty of them do) the location of the Empress is the next best thing; it is a short half block from the boardwalk and beautiful Ocean City beach. The pool is small, but clean and was never overly crowded. Pool hours are 10am-7:30 pm.
The motel offers free parking as do most of the other hotels/motels that I saw.
They offer free WiFi. The WiFi is useless. It does not connect AT ALL from inside your room. You may get an on again off again signal if you sit outside your room, by the pool, or near the front office.
The beds are clean. The matresses are horrible, flimsy things with uncomfortable springs that poke you all night long.
The bathroom was clean but had rusted faucets and shower curtain rods.
The air conditioner worked fairly well in the mid eighties temperatures that we had during our visit. If the temps are up in the 90's with humitity I think they would not have been sufficient. The owners of this motel seem to penny pinch and nickle and dime the customer. The air conditioners are programmed to go no lower than 66 degrees.
The towels are thin and very small (no real bath towels, more like larger sized face towels).
If you have a cooler or want to fill the ice bucket from your room, bring quarters because they charge you for 25 cents for use of the ice machine.
We stayed on the first floor so I can only tell you of my experience with my room. Outside the door of my room was a soda machine and a snack machine. The machine area is lit up by bright lights and unless you work to ensure that the curtains cover every inch the light will seep into the room. If you like it really dark when you sleep you better bring an eye shade. Also, it was inevitable that at leaset once during the night someone would be out there buying a soda and making noise. The walls and doors are thin and do nothing to muffle any sound from next door or outside the room.
Inside the room smelled pretty bad like mold/mildew. My guess is that the damp musty smell may be from water damage due to hurricane Sandy. I think the first floor may have flooded and these cheapskates did not replace the carpets. At least thats what it smelled like.
So there you are if you want a relatively inexpensive motel with a great location and don't mind a stinky room with an uncomfortable bed and no WiFi then this is your place.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2013 via mobile

The Empress is a small but clean motel. We have stayed here several times. It is located steps from the boardwalk and beach. It sits behind another building so there is not any oceanfront. The rooms are small but have everything you need when it comes to staying at the beach. We have children and like to stay at places where it is quiet at night and it was quiet here. The pool was clean and had lots of lounge chairs.

• Stayed July 2013
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2013 via mobile

Nice place to stay.small so you get to meet alot of the gest.but very poor wifi uless you went near the office.pools is small.service is good.we stayed here before went to another place last year,but came back to the empress this year.

• Stayed July 2013
Brandywine, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2013

Just got back Thursday from another great stay at the Empress Motel. Clean rooms, clean pool and great staff. The location is great. I would highly recommend this motel. Looking forward to stay number 3.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Havre de Grace, Maryland, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2013

My husband, one year old daughter, and myself just stayed here. It was quite enjoyable. The location was perfect, it was half a block from the beach and still close enough to walk to food. With a little one, we didn't really look for entertainment. The rooms were clean, which is very important to us.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2013

I recently stayed here again for my 2nd time this past weekend. must say it was nice. Clean pool, clean room and bathrooms. No noise from kids and front staff desk was polite and nice. Check in was a breeze. plenty of parking on a holiday weekend. and from the past reviews about the security guard that were bad, I didnt have any issues I barely saw a security guy.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Empress Motel? Share your experiences!