“Reasonable, great location and friendly.” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Empress Motel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Empress Motel
You added Empress Motel to your Saves list
20th Street and Baltimore Avenue, Ocean City, MD 21842   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #59 of 109 Hotels in Ocean City
Apalachin, New York, United States
“Reasonable, great location and friendly.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2012

My husband and I visited Ocean City, MD the week of Sept 9, 2012. We were warmly welcomed by the owner who let us check in early without us even asking. The property is very well taken care of and clean. Quiet and relaxing. Other guests staing there were very friendly and have come back year after year. Pool and pool area always clean. Location was great. We walked the Boardwalk everyday. Could not have asked for a nicer place to stay. In walking distant to many restaurants and attractions. We were looking for a quiet place to stay and relax. We certainly found it.We'll definately choose to stay there again.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Linda B

STATEN ISLAND, NY
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2012

This was my family’s first vacation to Ocean City, Maryland and might very well be the worst vacation ever. I knew going in that this motel was “older” and needed updating but was advised that it was clean and convenient and the price was too reasonable to believe. That should have been my first red flag. First off, the motel is not clean. Upon entering the room, I could tell that something was up when I entered the bathroom and it smelled so bad, like mold or something, I almost passed out because it was so contained in that small area. I had to clean everything myself with Clorox wipes before using anything. Everything in this hotel must be original from when it was built except the TV’s and the swimming pool. I would bet anything that our room was not cleaned after the prior customer checked out. Paper thin sheets and blankets (must be original since they opened), hairs everywhere on bedding and yellow and blood looking stains on bedding and pillows. Tiny, dirty bathroom, rusty hinges and faucets , moldy smell, tiny abrasive hand towels are supposed to be used as bath towels??, (we were 4 people, with 2 tiny hand towels). We had to use our own beach blankets as bath towels. Table and 2 chairs are right up against the bed, barely any room to get by. if you are overweight, you're in trouble. The pool was small, one of the men in the pool was in his street clothes. There is a list of rules on the gate of the pool area. It is interesting how the Empress Motel wants to impose rules on their customers but don't feel customers should impose any rules on them or have any expectations of them. To top it off, this motel should be renamed the Empress Old Age Home. Everyone around the pool was elderly and were not happy to see younger folks with children. They were not friendly, gave us dirty looks, and just stared us down at the pool as if we were on their turf. They were annoyed if my kids were having fun in the pool and gave a stern stare at that. This is a pool people, not a library. If you want to nap, go to your room. If you want to read, go to a library. Don’t expect people who paid to come on vacation to be quiet in a swimming pool, especially young children, remember that was once you. It's pretty bad when your children want to go home on vacation. WORD OF ADVICE, DON’T BRING CHILDREN HERE, THIS IS NOT A KID FRIENDLY ESTABLISHMENT. SECOND, SPEND YOUR MONEY ELSEWHERE; YOUR BUSINESS IS NOT APPRECIATED HERE. THEY DON’T TAKE PRIDE IN THEIR BUSINESS BECAUSE IF THEY DID THEY WOULD UPDATE AND CARE ABOUT PEOPLE (NOT JUST COLLECT MONEY TO LINE THEIR POCKETS). They actually gave Ocean City, Maryland a bad name in our eyes. Don’t know if we would ever visit OC again.

6 Thank NYSTATEOFMIND777
Oneida, New York, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2012

I have been coming to OC throughout the years and have watched it become an extreme tourist attraction and prices have increased for everything including outrageously priced hotels! So when I saw Empress rated at the top of hotels in OC, I thought I'd give it a try--especially at $91/night and it turned out to be worth it. The reviews are accurate. I found it to be an older, yet clean motel. It doesn't have an elevator so be prepared if you have lots of luggage or problems doing stairs. Also, the mattresses are hard and covered with plastic. The A/C was great though and a welcome relief and it was so quiet at night and in the morning I never heard any noises. The pool is small and doesn't stay open late but it was still a nice relief from the heat. and about The location is also great being on 20th Street with mini-golf and Philips Seafood around the corner. Also rented bikes next door at Eden Roc for $6/hr. Even though it's not right on the boardwalk, if you get a corner room, they have a balcony that has view of ocean. Would definitely stay again for the value!

Room Tip: Get a corner room with a balcony for a view of the ocean.
1 Thank CandaceJoy
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2012

Decent old school hotel/motel for the cost. Nice folks working the desk, security and cleaning crew. A little noisy at times as its of older brick and wood construction. A lot of smokers outside during our stay made it difficult to sit on the balcony for long periods. Would recommend the owners create smoking zones away from rooms.

• Stayed August 2012
2 Thank tmil725
Olney, Maryland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2012

The rooms were small and quaint. They were clean and comfortable,and there was enough room for me and my two friends. we're all 13 so we did have a fair ammount of stuff. we stayed on the third floor, in the corner. in room 135. My parents stayed in 134 and there was an inside door seperating the rooms. i slept on a cot and they were actually ok. the beds were alright too.they did have waterproof covers wich were a little noisy but ok. It is literally a one minute walk to the beack/boardwalk. we would go doown the stairs right in front of our room, and head out the back parking lot. the bathrooms were.....small. ok, but small. there was nowhere to keep stuff exceopt this little shelf. The bath towels were not absorbent. i really really would advise you to bring your own. they had controllabe ac in the rooms which was nice. there was also 2 windows which could be opened and closed. the room key was an actual key which i liked. outside the rooms there are seats to chill on, but it was kind of uncomfortabe walking upstairs with people staring at you. anyways, i would try to get a room on the top floor. its more private but thats just my preference. the staff was ok. i didnt run into them much.... but they seemed friendly. the pool is clean and not over chlorinated. they have a hose in the back to rinse off sand. if youre going on the boardwalk i would reccomend going right because theres not much to the left. a good pizza place is by the seascape motel(dont stay there, it looked gross) but its called francos and its reallyyy good:) and the store next to that is good too. i would also reccomend dumsers which is in town but sooooo good!!!!! so yeah i would definately reccomend empress because its not too expnsive but its a nice place! there was no restaraunt or fitness center.

Room Tip: Top floor has most privacy! all rooms are quiet, basically soundproof!
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
4 Thank emmaerocks
Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2012

My family of four recently returned from a stay at the Empress. I want to thank everyone who had written previous reviews and allowed us to find this gem! It really is a 50's throwback in a lot of ways - actual keys to the room, 4" yellow tile in the bathroom, small sink, double-sized beds, manually typed receipt! The motel is very well maintained and kept very clean. Someone was always cleaning inside and outside most of the day. The staff was very friendly and helpful! Loved the location! The primary downside to this motel was the waterproof mattress covers on the beds! I understand the "need" for these with a family-oriented motel but they made were very noisy every time one of us turned over in the bed! I guess we should have checked about taking them off. Overall, a great place to stay although I think we realized that we have outgrown sharing double-sized beds with our kids.

4 Thank UMTerpVirginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2012

My boyfriend and I stayed at the empress in the middle of August 2012. Overall it was a nice place to stay. The room was cheap, it had a great location, and the people who worked there were nice.

My only complaint would be when we first got there I went Into the bathroom and there was fecal matter on the toilet seat. We had brought Lysol wipes so that took care of that. It seemed like every towel they brought us was dirty with what looked to be blood and/or feces.

• Stayed August 2012