“Clean, cheap & quiet” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Empress Motel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Empress Motel
You added Empress Motel to your Saves list
20th Street and Baltimore Avenue, Ocean City, MD 21842   |
Ranked #61 of 108 Hotels in Ocean City
Oneida, New York, United States
“Clean, cheap & quiet”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2012

I have been coming to OC throughout the years and have watched it become an extreme tourist attraction and prices have increased for everything including outrageously priced hotels! So when I saw Empress rated at the top of hotels in OC, I thought I'd give it a try--especially at $91/night and it turned out to be worth it. The reviews are accurate. I found it to be an older, yet clean motel. It doesn't have an elevator so be prepared if you have lots of luggage or problems doing stairs. Also, the mattresses are hard and covered with plastic. The A/C was great though and a welcome relief and it was so quiet at night and in the morning I never heard any noises. The pool is small and doesn't stay open late but it was still a nice relief from the heat. and about The location is also great being on 20th Street with mini-golf and Philips Seafood around the corner. Also rented bikes next door at Eden Roc for $6/hr. Even though it's not right on the boardwalk, if you get a corner room, they have a balcony that has view of ocean. Would definitely stay again for the value!

Room Tip: Get a corner room with a balcony for a view of the ocean.

Solo
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
New Haven, Connecticut
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2012

Our family arrived in OC on 08/23/12, because we arrived before check in time we decided to go to the beach. While there my children ages 2 and 3 years of age got sand all over there bodies. Trying to clean them up and walking away from the boardwalk I saw a family rinsing off sand from their feet with a waterhose that belonged to the Empress Motel. I did see a sign which stated "only for guest" and went on to use the waterhose with the thought in mind to rent two rooms at this facility for four days. The manager,owner or who ever it was that so rudely approched us and literally yanked the waterhose from our hands said "get out of here"!!! I felt awakered at that moment and angered by his reaction and asked him, "Sir, how do you know we are not guest here"? The rude man said I don't know! I then asked him if that is how he treats his guest and he said no. The rude man then said I don't remember you checking in! It was about 11:30 AM.. no one checks in around this time!!. I then in turn replied you are an "A-HOLE"!! He then replied why don't you go back from where you came from!
I am hispanic and proud of it... I don't know if he was referring to my race or telling me to go back to CT. I didn't bother to answer him for people like this are a loss cause in life!!!

4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2012

Decent old school hotel/motel for the cost. Nice folks working the desk, security and cleaning crew. A little noisy at times as its of older brick and wood construction. A lot of smokers outside during our stay made it difficult to sit on the balcony for long periods. Would recommend the owners create smoking zones away from rooms.

Olney, Maryland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2012

The rooms were small and quaint. They were clean and comfortable,and there was enough room for me and my two friends. we're all 13 so we did have a fair ammount of stuff. we stayed on the third floor, in the corner. in room 135. My parents stayed in 134 and there was an inside door seperating the rooms. i slept on a cot and they were actually ok. the beds were alright too.they did have waterproof covers wich were a little noisy but ok. It is literally a one minute walk to the beack/boardwalk. we would go doown the stairs right in front of our room, and head out the back parking lot. the bathrooms were.....small. ok, but small. there was nowhere to keep stuff exceopt this little shelf. The bath towels were not absorbent. i really really would advise you to bring your own. they had controllabe ac in the rooms which was nice. there was also 2 windows which could be opened and closed. the room key was an actual key which i liked. outside the rooms there are seats to chill on, but it was kind of uncomfortabe walking upstairs with people staring at you. anyways, i would try to get a room on the top floor. its more private but thats just my preference. the staff was ok. i didnt run into them much.... but they seemed friendly. the pool is clean and not over chlorinated. they have a hose in the back to rinse off sand. if youre going on the boardwalk i would reccomend going right because theres not much to the left. a good pizza place is by the seascape motel(dont stay there, it looked gross) but its called francos and its reallyyy good:) and the store next to that is good too. i would also reccomend dumsers which is in town but sooooo good!!!!! so yeah i would definately reccomend empress because its not too expnsive but its a nice place! there was no restaraunt or fitness center.

Room Tip: Top floor has most privacy! all rooms are quiet, basically soundproof!
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2012

My family of four recently returned from a stay at the Empress. I want to thank everyone who had written previous reviews and allowed us to find this gem! It really is a 50's throwback in a lot of ways - actual keys to the room, 4" yellow tile in the bathroom, small sink, double-sized beds, manually typed receipt! The motel is very well maintained and kept very clean. Someone was always cleaning inside and outside most of the day. The staff was very friendly and helpful! Loved the location! The primary downside to this motel was the waterproof mattress covers on the beds! I understand the "need" for these with a family-oriented motel but they made were very noisy every time one of us turned over in the bed! I guess we should have checked about taking them off. Overall, a great place to stay although I think we realized that we have outgrown sharing double-sized beds with our kids.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2012

My boyfriend and I stayed at the empress in the middle of August 2012. Overall it was a nice place to stay. The room was cheap, it had a great location, and the people who worked there were nice.

My only complaint would be when we first got there I went Into the bathroom and there was fecal matter on the toilet seat. We had brought Lysol wipes so that took care of that. It seemed like every towel they brought us was dirty with what looked to be blood and/or feces.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2012

Booked the hotel just a few days before our stay as a last minute vacation because of the great reviews. Unfortunately had a family emergency (7week old baby got sick) and the hotel was totally accommodating. We really appreciate their help. Thank you JD and owner. Can't wait to come back next year when the kids are a bit older.

• Stayed August 2012

Been to Empress Motel? Share your experiences!