“Nice big rooms and front desk charm for OC” 4 of 5 stars

Cayman Suites
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   12500 Coastal Hwy, Ocean City, MD 21842   |
Ranked #22 of 108 Hotels in Ocean City
VA
“Nice big rooms and front desk charm for OC”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2011

We actually booked this through extra credit card points we had, but the "value" listed on the CC site was $275. For that price, this review holds true with a nice value.

The room was separated into a living area, hallway/bathroom area, and the bedroom itself. See a picture here: http://www.caymansuites.com/ocean-city-maryland-hotels.php

We wanted a separate area for our daughter & pack & play to sleep, and this fit the bill nicely. The front desk was very helpful during check in, as we were looking for some food to order in. The nice gentleman tracked down a menu he thought was out in the lobby but they had run out of. We ordered on their recommendation and were quite happy; they even deliver to your room if wanted.

The room was clean, and though you could tell needs updates, did have a flatscreen tv in the bedroom. By OC standards, it was nice. If you want to spend $400/night, which is all to easy to do on the beachfront, you will probably have a nicer place to stay in.

I will say the bed was pretty poor, so that's the only true demerit I can give.

Overall, very pleased and would stay again.

MTEastman, Owner at Cayman Suites, responded to this review, September 15, 2011
Thank you for your positive review. A portion of our mattresses and box springs are replaced every year. The same is true of our sleep sofas, drapes and bedspreads. While closed this past season, we completely painted the exterior of the building and most of the bedrooms of the suites. This winter we plan to continue interior renovation including carpet replacement.
The hotel is similar to any home that requires upkeep but it is just on a larger scale! We try to keep it all on a personable level and we welcome the interaction and recommendations of our guests.
Mary Eastman, Owner

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (35)
Mechanicsburg, Pennsylvania
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2011

We chose Cayman Suites based on the information & pictures provided on their website, and also b/c the price was reasonable. The suites are a nice size and include a small kitchen w/ a microwave, refrigerator, small stove. There is also a separate bedroom, which we really like. However, the suite was not clean AT ALL, esp. the bathroom. The floor tile grout was black, there was sand caked in the corners, the shower floor mat was filthy, and the toilet rim (underneath) was visibly dirty. There was a small bottle of complimentary lotion sitting on the bathroom counter the entire time we were there that had a small hair sticking out from under the label. Obviously we had no intention of using that. Also, I would find single strands of dark hair on the side of the shower, on the shower curtain, etc. The kitchen was also not clean (the counter) and the sink didn't drain properly (gross). When we went to move the nightstand or dresser in the bedroom to plug things in, or the TV stand in the main area, we were disgusted by how dirty it was behind them, and when we lifted the bedskirt to look for something, we found pieces of food (cookies?). Even something as simple to fix as the small pad of paper left on the table in the kitchenette was not addressed - the top sheet was dirty & sticky (housekeeping could at least tear that off before the next guests arrive). We found an open bag of Q-tips sitting on the tray on the kitchenette table. Definite lack of attention to detail. The worst part of this experience was the owner's attitude when our concerns were brought to her attention. She had a "smug" attitude and was not willing to offer anything to pacify a clearly unhappy customer. I was told that I should have brought this to their attention sooner and that changes to reservations are only allowed 5 days in advance (we asked to check-out a day early & to receive our money back for the 3rd night we weren't going to use). I was told: "leave whenever you want to, but there would be no refund for the last night." Of course, one would never know until they actually arrive (certainly not 5 days in advance) that the property is not all that it is cracked up to be on their website. Pictures can be deceiving. Take it from someone who's seen it in person. The property is definitely in need of an overhaul (and a thorough cleaning). For what we paid per night (it averaged out to about $200/night w/ taxes, etc.), we expected MUCH more. Very disappointing experience.

MTEastman, Owner at Cayman Suites, responded to this review, September 15, 2011
When you arrived to check in on Friday, August 19, 2011, the hotel arranged for you to store bicycles in our stairwell. They explained that when your husband arrived later in a separate vehicle he would need to park on the side street since we have one parking spot per unit. At the time your 3-night reservation was made, you received our 10% discount rate that is usually given to prior guests.
On Saturday evening, you asked the front desk clerk about checking out the following day and expressed dissatisfaction with your room. Our front desk is open 24 hours a day to assist guests with dining, attractions, and hotel needs. The desk clerk was puzzled since she was not aware of any reports to desk personnel regarding your concerns.
On Sunday morning, August 21, you told me that your husband had to leave a day early because of work and you asked for a one night refund. When I told you no refunds were given for early checkout, you then offered numerous complaints about the suite. If I had only known about the concerns immediately upon check-in, appropriate measures would have been taken.
One thing that I could recall, however, was that your husband arrived in a second car so I could not understand the relevance to an early check out. When you checked out on Monday, August 22, as scheduled, I assumed that you had been comfortable enough with your suite to fulfill your stay. I can assure you that our guests are very important to us and our greatest asset. It is disturbing for me to think that you believe that I was indifferent to an unclean room as you describe.
Corning, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2011

Pros: quiet, friendly staff, spacious suite, decent price, close to stores/ beach and close to great park (northside) and they even have a flat screen in room... a lot of reviews said the elevator was slow but we never waited.

Cons: Honestly the most uncomfortable bed I have ever slept in and probably won't stay here again based on the bed alone....

Room Tip: Ask for upper floor so you can see the ocean
Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
Palmyra, PA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2011

Hate to give this secret away, but after 32 years of OCMD visits and stays in many, many hotels, we keep going back to Cayman Suites time after time -- you won't get a better place for your money anywhere in Ocean City. Great place for families (our kids love it!). You can't beat the price for what you get... a clean (no bed bugs!), pleasant, roomy suite (2-double beds or a king bed with a sleeper sofa in the other room = sleeps 6), with nice size bathroom, kitchenette with fridge, two TV's and 2 DVD players (DVDs to use for free available from the office) and indoor pool. Easy 1-1/2 block easy walk to the beach without crossing the busy highway. While you do get traffic noise from being right on the main drag, with the AC on it's bearable. Check out the package deals... we got $50 gift certificate to one of three restaurants and a $10 for Dumser's ice cream + use of 2 beach chairs and beach towels (and this was with a 2-day stay!). Great place, great price, and would recommend it to anyone and it definitely should be rated better here.

Room Tip: You can see the ocean if you get a room on the 5th floor -- especially at the North end plus you get...
MTEastman, Owner at Cayman Suites, responded to this review, August 11, 2011
Our prior guests are our most valuable asset! We are tremendously pleased that you are taking the time to tell everyone about us and do hope that they will consider staying at Cayman Suites on their next trip to Ocean City, MD. As you mention, our packages have discounted rates and some great offerings. Thanks for your gracious review.
Bethlehem
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2011

I stayed at Cayman Suites from July 21-24 . Travelling were 2 adults and 2 13 year old girls.
PLUS:The location is excellent, a 1 block walk to the beach which can't be beat. Right across the street is Dairy Queen, and WAWA and CVS are 2 blocks away, also walkable. We stayed on the 5th (top) floor and would recommend a higher floor as you may then get a view from your balcony. The room was spacious , perfect for travelling with children. My husband and I slept in the bedroom, and the girls slept in the living room which has a pull out couch bed. *I recommend your children bring a sleeping bag for comfort*. The girls said the couch mattress was uncomfortable and were happier sleeping in their sleeping bags on the floor which worked out fine.
VERY courteous staff - and very responsive. I told a worker that the 2nd floor bathroom was out of soap, and when I returned later soap was there.
Indoor pool: what a bonus during the heat wave. The girls enjoyed it, and it is very clean.
Mnus -
This is the SLOWEST elevator I've ever experienced a wait of more than 5 minutes was the norm, so be prepared to wait, or take the stairs which I did
They should NOT advertise there's a fitness room. There were 3 bikes, all not working1 seat cannot be adjusted, 1 the pedal fell off and 1 did not pedal at all. Oh, the treadmill worked, but first I needed to get the 'key' from the front desk. You are better off walking the beach or Coastal Highway if it's not too hot!
HOUSEKEEPING: do yourself a favor and request an early room cleanup as soon as you are ready to leave for the beach. Otherwise you will return to your unmade bed and dirty towels.
Decor is fine, really as long as the place is clean, who cares?I was there to enjoy the beach and relax. All said, good value and I would consider returning next summer!

Room Tip: **Request a room on the top floor**
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
MTEastman, Owner at Cayman Suites, responded to this review, August 11, 2011
I do appreciate your time and effort in sharing your guest comments, especially since you enjoyed your stay! As the result of a review made in a previous year, we have conscientiously attempted to make sure that the sleeper sofa mattresses are replaced every other year. The mattresses are commercial grade (an inch thicker than the standard sleeper mattresses) but more appropriate for the younger members of a family.
I also acknowledged the slow setting on the elevator and stated that the main reason was young children dashing on/off quicker than their parents could control. However, I failed to mention that we do have handicapped guests in wheel chairs that need the time to enter and leave the elevator.
Thank you for complimenting the staff. We enjoy working together to hopefully make sure our guests have an enjoyable stay. The indoor pool, game room, and restrooms for changing to/from beachwear are available to our guests before checkin and after checkout.
Wayne, New Jersey
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2011

Average hotel. Had good points and bad points. Never had a problem with parking. Close to beach. Had a suite instead of one room. Never heard our neighbors. Yes, you definitely hear the cars on Coastal Highway but there's nothing you can do about that. Great that they have beach chairs for you to use! The bad points were that our maid NEVER knocked before entering our room she just walked right in and scared the life out of us. I never knew of a hotel maid that did that, ever. Also, the maid takes forever to clean each room. One day it was almost 4pm and she still didn't clean. I told her to forget it, we all just wanted to take showers and head out for dinner. For our 4 night/ 5 day stay she cleaned the room ONCE. Use the stairs instead of taking the slowest elevator ever made. Expect a hard mattress. Expect an early morning walk up call on the last day of your stay, even though you didn't ask for one (the want you OUT).The staff, especially the owner, gave me attitude but she did it with a smile on her face so I guess that made her feel better? Won't stay there again. You get what you pay for. I'm going back to the suites at Princess Royale.

Room Tip: Ask for the 5th floor for a better view of the ocean.
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
MTEastman, Owner at Cayman Suites, responded to this review, July 22, 2011
We aim to be a gracious and friendly owner/operated suite hotel. The majority of our seasonal housekeepers are J-1 Visa students in the US on a student work/travel program for a 4 month period. They are conscientious employees attempting to improve their use of the English language. They do not always understand requests but they try their very best to accommodate the guests. Perhaps their knock could be a little timid so I will discuss that possibility with them.
The elevator is intentionally set at the current level. Families with small children have had problems with the faster settings, experiencing door closings before the entire family was off/on the elevator. I would rather wait (you are on vacation anyway) than have a small child on an elevator alone with door closed behind them!
Our checkout is at 11am. Since all of our units are 2-room suites and checkin is at 3pm, we have to adhere to a prompt checkout. Otherwise, there is not ample time to clean the suites properly.
We thank you for your review and wish that more of our guests would take the time to share both positive and negative comments regarding their stay. We benefit from the comments and the reviews assist us in providing a better experience for our guests.
Bear, Delaware
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2011

The Cayman suits is a average hotel with a great staff, but has the potential to be amazing. Upon checking in you will find ample parking, with a great central location registration area "next to the indoor pool". The lobby is average, could use a little updating but def. not bad. My suite was on the 4th floor which unlike the lower floors I could see the ocean at some points on the balcony and I imagine the 5th floor has a better view. The walls are a little thin but lets be honest nothing much the staff can do about that. Once entering the room, I was in the living area which has great amount of space. The only down side to the living room was the fire sprinkler was broken and hanging from the wall. The bathroom did have small amounts of rust around the ceiling, also shower head needed to be changed. The bed room was also very roomy and had a nice door so that you could have friends or kids stay in the living room on the pull out. Down side in the bed room, was the door lock leading to the balcony was broken, so the room was a little loud. Also the TV in the bed room was very small. Also the sprinkler was broken. The curtains were a little retro but these are beach suites what do you expect. I work in the business as a hotel hotel revamp specialist, also have worked as a concierge, but now work as a Blogger and Evaluator for travel and Leisure Mag. So I have seen a lot of hotels and I can see this hotel is Def. worth your money if can get it for under 115 a night "with tax" anything over and you are paying to much unless they do some much needed renovations. I would stay again as long as its not prime season.

Room Tip: ask for 4th or 5th floor for best view.
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
MTEastman, Owner at Cayman Suites, responded to this review, April 29, 2011
Thank you for taking your time to give us your valuable comments. I am having trouble understanding the lobby needs"updating" as we last month removed old pink vinyl wallpaper. We then installed white wainscotting and ceiling molding and painted the walls and cabinetry a salmon color. Granted we have not bought many furnishings so I am hoping you meant we needed seating or wall hangings, etc. We take pride in trying to continually update our property. Our exterior was completely recoated and recaulked and most bedrooms were painted this past winter. The hotel just had yearly inspection of sprinkler system and fire alarms for city and insurance requirements. We have, however, had to cut around the permanent sprinklers when installing our ceiling molding in the rooms so all is not perfect. I assure you the sprinklers are not broken. Not being sure which suite you were in, I am having maintenance staff check all balcony locks. We do hope that you and your family will visit again. Please stop at the desk to introduce yourself and maybe share some pointers on the lobby!
Mary Eastman, Owner

Been to Cayman Suites? Share your experiences!