“Great location and bar/cafe service on the beach!” 4 of 5 stars

Castle in the Sand Hotel
3701 Atlantic Avenue, 37th Street & Oceanfront, Ocean City, MD 21842   |
Ranked #23 of 107 Hotels in Ocean City
Westminster, Maryland
“Great location and bar/cafe service on the beach!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2014

This is the first place I have stayed in OC that has waitress service on the beach. Those girls are working their butts off delivering drinks and lunches to the beach and on hot sand!! I hope everyone continues to treat them well! That is hard work. We stayed in the Waverly Castle in a standard room, two double beds. The room was somewhat updated and clean; however, the age of the building still shows. This hotel has two dinning options, Coconuts Tiki Bar Cafe
and The Beach House Buffet.
First, Coconuts is a fun, outdoor bar area with an outstanding happy hour from 5-6 where the drinks are 2 for 1 and serves decent food. Second, The Beach House is in the "basement" of the North Castle. You go down a flight of stairs and walk past an operational hotel service area to reach the entrance. Average breakfast-just wasn't our favorite place.
Location, Location, Location! You can't beat the central OC, oceanfront location. Easy access to town buses, within walking distance to the Convention Center and Jolly Rogers Amusement Park- and almost everything else!
We loved the beach service, view from our balcony and all of the staff were friendly. We will return to the Castle in the Sand.

Stayed August 2014

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (108)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2014

My family and I visited for 2 days and 1 night. We stayed in Waverly Castle on the 3rd Floor. You could easily see the ocean though yes, from floors 1 and 2 you will see the dunes. Room was nice and clean! Staff very friendly! And location is great!

Stayed August 2014
Bellmore, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2014

I recently stayed at Castle in the Sand from 7/31-8/3 and I had a pretty good experience overall.
The downside of my trip was I fell at walking through Coconuts and a bar chair fell on my head. Holly (Restaurant Manager) was great!! An answer to my prayers in that moment, however I was dissapointed the hotel manager did not follow up with my complaint / report. You would think they would be concerned with my well being after falling at their facility. All in all the stay was ok minus chair rental and beach service was NO where to be found on Saturday 8/2 until after 2pm??

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends
State College, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2014

We have stayed at Castle twice for girlfriend weekends. The office staff gets a huge thumbs up. Really accommodating and helpful sorting out the bill amongst five women. The first time, we stayed in an efficiency in Waverly. The second time, in a 2nd floor suite, an apartment style with full kitchen in Castle North. Beds were VERY comfortable. The pullout sofa bed wasn't, but we brought along a foam mattress topper and that helped. Kitchen had plenty of space. Bathroom nice and updated. Our first night there was a Friday and on Friday evening, the shower wasn't too warm. We thought there was a problem, but it turned out that it was just a high-use time for the hotel in general. Really didn't notice it again the rest of the weekend. It was clean. It did, however, seem to take a while for the maid service to get to us. Eventually, all we ended up doing was getting new towels everyday instead of having them come in. But it worked out because we preferred to make our own beds and clean up after ourselves. Love the overall atmosphere. Coconuts Bar & Grill....fun place! Live entertainment every afternoon. Happy hour. Family friendly too with organized activities for kids. Beach volleyball court. Drink service, albeit expensive, on the beach. We did notice, however, that if you enter the beach from 37th street, you don't see too many of the beach waitresses. They stay mainly closer to the Coconut side. Within an easy bus ride to Fager's, our favorite place to go when we visit. Overall, it's a great place to stay. Everything you need is there. Our girls group spent a lot of years staying in different condos, hotels.....we've decided that Castle is our place and we will be back.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends
Stow
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2014 via mobile

We were very disappointed with our stay at The Castle in the Sand. We stayed in cottage B6 & it was filthy. The night we arrived our toilet broke & the refrigerator was leaking water. Main thence did come right away to fix the issue however we had to plunge the toilet at least once a day during our stay! My husband also had to fix the kitchen table because the bolts that hold the legs in place we're loose. The hotel used duck tape to fix part of the floor in the kitchen area & none of the electrical outlet held in plugs. I was looking forward to making a cup of coffee in the morning to find the compartment that holds the water had black mold! Another thing that I noticed immediately was that the filters in the wall air conditioning units were covered in dust. I called the front desk two times to address this & nothing was done. My son & are are really allergic to dust and are now both suffering from respiratory infections. If we did not have 3 small children that were so excited to go to the beach we would have checked out the first day. We felt like we we're mislead because the pictures posted on their website of the cabins look NOTHING like what we stayed in.

The one thing that we did enjoy about the hotel was the children's programs by Lady Sunshine who is on a contract & is not actually on staff at the hotel. She was wonderful with the kids & had fun activities from 2-6pm each day. We also liked the life guards. They were all very friendly.

Overall this place has the potential for being nice if the owners would invest time & money in fixing it up & unless that happens we will not be staying at Castle in the Sand when we return to OC.

• Stayed July 2014
Ringwood, NJ
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2014

As we have become regulars at Castle in the Sand, I felt it necessary to keep up with reviewing the property. I have other review of this place that both still stand true. Castle is a family run hotel that does it right. The property has 3 Buildings with various styles of rooms from hotel room to large suites. It also has a large swimming pool with diving board and a great restaurant/bar (coconuts). As I have said before, the people who work here must sleep very well, as they are always moving about cleaning serving whatever. I see many of the same people each year, and its like coming home to see family. Joe cut his hair and almost slipped by me, but after he looked me in the eyes, I knew it was him. He and Jeff are my real ties to he place as we cross paths all day. In short, clean, friendly, and best location. Your not on the boards, but close enough. Plenty of food options nearby if you choose not to enjoy the great music, food and drinks at coconuts. Including service on the beach for both food and cocktails! Kids are welcome here and have a great time. Really anyone will enjoy this place. This is not a polished marble gold fixtures kind of hotel. Its a comfortable clean updated nice place. Dont hesitate to visit them! ENJOY!

Room Tip: first floor rooms have walk out to the beach, but no view. But its easy in easy out and you can enj...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
castleadmin, General Manager at Castle in the Sand Hotel, responded to this review, August 10, 2014
Thanks for the review. We appreciate the kind words. Many of our guests come back year after year and it is always fun for us to see them and catch up on their lives. That is what makes The Castle a special place. We want everyone to have a nice, clean, updated room that people want to revisit. Thanks again. We hope to see you again soon.
Weirton, West Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2014

Stayed in the castle for years. My son is now 19 started comin there when he was 1 year old. Got one word Awesome!. Staff, Bar area, Beach . Really? If you dont stay at the Castle you really haven't been to ocean city! see you guys soon .

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family

Been to Castle in the Sand Hotel? Share your experiences!