“A Mixed Bag” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #23 of 107 Hotels in Ocean City
the northeast
“A Mixed Bag”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2013

We stayed in the Castle North Suites which where newly remodeled this year. This was our first stay at this property. The positive: The suite had new carpeting/flooring, furniture, walls looked good with new paint. It had a nice view of the beach & ocean from the living area. Price was more economical than staying at the Holiday inn & suites or the Hilton Suites. The property was convenient for getting to the beach. Wait staff service on the beach nice.
The negatives: I don't like the motel type access to our room. (I prefer interior hallways.), We were on the 3rd floor & took the steps instead of the elevator most times. I didn't like the fact that there were beer bottles & cans on the staircases sitting there for days! The enclosed staircase adjacent to the Coconuts bar just smelled musty/old. My husband said like stale beer at his old fraternity house.
Our first night we took showers, my husband complained that there was no regulating the hot/cold water. I thought he was just being nit picky but sure enough it went from warm too scolding hot ,back to frigid cold literally within a minute.. That was the longest shower I've ever had since I was soapy & trying to find a decent temp. that I could rinse off. Shows not everything could be upgraded & this is an older property. First thing in the morning, I phoned front desk to tell about our problem & have it fixed before we needed showers. Person on the phone actually chuckled?! No apology about the problem. We weren't laughing during our shower experiences with the water going from scolding to frigid in seconds!!! They did have maintenance come shortly to fix the shower. It was better but still not the best quality or water pressure for that matter.
The bedroom at the entrance of the unit was really warm compared to the living area. I think the a/c in the living room was supposed to reach all the way to the back bedroom? There was only a ceiling fan in the bedroom. Glad to have stayed only 3 nights.
Upon checkout, customer service lacking. No, "How was your stay?" or even "Hope you come back" as other more upscale hotels offer. I think I'll pass on this place next time.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (108)
New York, New York, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2013

I stayed at this hotel with about 50 other people from a group attending a convention across the street. The staff was extremely friendly and helpful, the rooms were awesome, and the location is perfect. We truly enjoyed our stay --- the last time we stayed in Ocean City we were at a different hotel and did not really enjoy our time. Castle in the Sand was a breath of fresh air to our previous experience. The highlight of their customer service was when the entire group ate breakfast together in the restaurant. The servers were extremely accommodating, the food was fantastic, and there was zero hassle when it came time to pay the bill.

Thank you Castle in the Sand, keep doing what you are doing!

Room Tip: Get one of the newly renovated suites, the room is the size of two hotel rooms.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2013

Love the Castle! Super location, fun atmosphere, pleasant staff and great activities for the kids (pool, beach, face painting, volleyball, etc) and live music at the outside tiki bar (only wish they stayed open a little later but on the flip side, then the noise might keep people up). The inexpensive breakfast buffet was a bonus!

Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2013 via mobile

I came down with friends for a girls' weekend and had a great time. The location on the beach was unbeatable. Coconuts, the bar/outdoor restaurant was awesome. We met a lot of locals that were there just to enjoy the atmosphere too. It was very laid back and everyone was friendly (despite the fact I was wearing my NY Jets tshirt).
The room we stayed in hasn't been redone yet but the beds were clean and comfortable. The room was large and served our purpose. We really weren't in there all that much, we were busy enjoying the town.

• Stayed September 2013
Altoona, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2013

My husband and I recently returned from a 4-night stay at Castle in the Sand. We were lucky to have a 5th floor oceanfront room in the Waverly Building with a gorgeous view of the beach from the balcony. The hotel has a resort feel with an Olympic-sized swimming pool (with a diving board), restaurants on the property and live music for entertainment. Coconuts, the outdoor bar, has a happy hour every day from 5:00-6:00 pm with 2 for 1 drinks. The food served there is very good and reasonably priced.

The unit itself contained everything anyone would need - a refrigerator, stove and oven, microwave, a coffee maker (and coffee) along with pots, pans, dishes, glasses, cups, silverware. They provide dish-washing liquid and tea towels. The room was very clean and the staff were wonderful. Of all the buildings owned by Castle in the Sand, I would recommend the Waverly Building, as it is closest to the ocean and away from the entertainment, if you desire some quiet. The parking in the back of the Waverly Building is very tight, and we preferred to park in their spacious parking lot a short walk away. Be sure to have $10 in cash upon check-in for the key card for the parking lot. I understand the Waverly building is being updated, which will make it even nicer.

The only suggestion I would make would be for the management to strongly consider making the entire property non-smoking. The fresh ocean air was marred by people smoking cigarettes and cigars on their balconies and patios. This did spoil some hours for me. Other than than, the hotel was pretty darn good. My husband and I will patronize Castle in the Sand again.

Room Tip: Choose a 4th or 5th floor room for the best view of the ocean. There is no view from the 1st floor...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2013

Me + My wife had not been to O/c in Five years,....As usually ,I am never disappointed
there been about 5 years between visits..As usuall Castle in the Sand never Dissapoints.
I had book in the North Tower on the 4 days after Labor Day ,the hotel was 90 % Book
Wen I got there I wanted to change our room to the Waverly...3RD Floor...To my Surprize
No Problem...and No Attitude.....I can not say enough about the staff on All Shifts...If I had a question about anything..FRom were to Dine.....To were to get Fresh Donuts.
.Now.. lets talk about rooms....Yes there a Little Outdated ....But they are updating every Year.......One Floor at a Time ...The Rooms are clean and yu do smell bleach....Yes Bleach
Kills 99 % of germs + other various bacteria...Again I want to mention the Staff ,from the manager
Bob Borello to the Housekeeper..,,,Best people in the World...I will be going back next year + bring my Grandkids with us
Mike From Philly

Room Tip: Higher Floors ...Better View
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Wilmington, Delaware
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2013

Great ideas of services, but poor execution. The hotel is dated. We stayed on the 5th floor of the North building so we didn't have a balconey, but we did have a fantastice view of the ocean. There seems to be 3 buildings. The free kids activties are really meant for kids 8 and younger - storytelling, face painting, etc. It would have been nice to have some activties for older kids (although on specific days & times & for a small price your teens can take a brief surf class). When we walked into our room it was fine - typical Ocean City beach room, nothing fancy. We were there for 5 nights and 1 day the room wasn't cleaned, another day the shampoo wasn't repleneished & we needed it, 3rd day the floors hadn't been vaccumed, etc. When I called the front desk to say the room wasn't cleaned, I was told they would tell housekeeping but they didn't know if & when the room would be cleaned. That's ridiculous! The elevator was extremely slow. The Coconuts bar & outside cafe was convenient and served decent food. Mix of people at the hotel - families, singles, etc. The indoor restaurant was only open for breakfast - which was odd. Parking was free & we never had an issue finding a space. I was excited about the food & drink service at the beach but the servers never made it to our side of the beach even though we were right in front of the hotel - this happened all 5 days, really?! The website advertised a movie night - the movie is projected on a wall of the hotel but the space is the Coconuts bar area that is lit up so much you couldn't see the movie. Plus a bar area for a kids movie? Again, really?! The hotel is about 10 blocks from the boardwalk - about a 20 minute walk, but then you can take the train (you have to pay) or walk to where the restaurants are. The beach is wide & beautiful but not overly crowded. The pool was nice & semi secluded even though it was next to the parking lot. We've stayed at a half a dozen hotels in OC & we had hoped this would be the one we'd come to again & again.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family

Been to Castle in the Sand Hotel? Share your experiences!