“Advantage Beach” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Castle in the Sand Hotel

You added Castle in the Sand Hotel to your Saves list
Castle in the Sand Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   3701 Atlantic Avenue, 37th Street & Oceanfront, Ocean City, MD 21842   |
Ranked #26 of 108 Hotels in Ocean City
Wilmington DE
“Advantage Beach”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2013

Pros--Excellent location to see the sun rise, steps from the beach, nice people.
Cons--At first glance room appeared nice and clean. Closer inspection revealed that it was dusty; other people's hair in the bathroom; slow drainage in bathtub; had to jiggle handle on toilet to keep it fom running; slow elevator and hallway smelled old.

• Stayed August 2013
castleadmin, Owner at Castle in the Sand Hotel, responded to this review, September 10, 2013
“Dear lfo1947”
Thank you for choosing The Castle for your vacation. I am glad you enjoyed our excellent oceanfront location and experienced the beautiful sunrises. I hope you were able to enjoy many of the other amenities The Castle has to offer including the Olympic size pool with diving board, our beachfront restaurant Coconuts, the sand volleyball court, our new ice cream shop, and breakfast at our Beach House Restaurant. I apologize for your housekeeping issues and can assure you we are working diligently on all levels to make serious improvements in this department. I hope you’ll choose Castle in the Sand Hotel for your next vacation to Ocean City and ask you to contact our General Manager, Bob Borello, to assist you with choosing accommodations which suit your needs. As our loyal guests know, each year we make major improvements and upgrades in the off-season and I feel certain we will able to provide you with a better experience.
Adam L. Showell, Sr., Owner

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (160)
Staten Island, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2013

I booked this hotel because of the great reviews. The pictures on line looked nice as well. When I checked in it wasnt what I expected. The room was a bit dated and it wasnt what my family expected. We decided to check out and the staff was super friendly and fully refunded us including my deposited. As one reviewer noted there are different locations. I booked last minute and was in the north building. From reading the reviews it sounds like there are nicer rooms with balconies. I think my family would have been happier with a nicer room. When I arrived there was face painting and other activities for the kids. I would give it a second chance.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
castleadmin, Owner at Castle in the Sand Hotel, responded to this review, September 9, 2013
Dear "Madebk",
I am sorry your room did not meet your expectations. As our regular, returning guests know, we invest annually in upgrades and improvements. Our Castle North Suites are the suites in the building you mentioned with private balconies. These our very popular with our guests and were fully renovated prior to the 2013 season. The Castle does have a convenient oceanfront location with many amenities for families, including an Olympic sized swimming pool with diving board, free children’s activities, sand volleyball court, on-site dining from 7am until 11pm including an ice cream shop, live music daily, a game room, free wi-fi, and so much more. I hope you will return to stay with us again in accommodations more suitable to your needs. Please feel free to contact our reservations department and they will assist you with helping you choose which of our many unit types is right for your family’s needs.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2013 via mobile

I booked the room based on recommendation from a friend in the north castle. It's the best ocean front building & totally remodeled recently. After having a major incident on the first night (the room got mostly flooded from the overflowing bath tub upstairs) at 3am while we were sleeping, we were offered a free upgrade in the condominium tower and they comp'd my entire stay. Special thanks to the general manager Bob for handling the situation in the best possible way. I wouldn't expect such treatment from any major name chain hotel. This was my first time to ocean city & the castle in the sand and definitely not the last. Overall left really good impression including the location, pool, bars/restaurants & of course the beach.

Dear Alex S,
Thank you for choosing Castle in the sand Hotel. I am glad you enjoyed our direct oceanfront location, Olympic size swimming pool, restaurants, and our 2 block expanse of beach! I am sorry the guests upstairs overflowed their tub causing a problem in your room, but am glad that Bob was able to satisfy your expectations with a new unit. I hope you’ll return to The Castle on your next vacation to Ocean City, Maryland.
Staten Island, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013 via mobile

My family and I decided to book a vacation at the Castle in the Sand. We really enjoyed being there as the hotel was right on the beach, it had a very large and clean swimming pool with a diving board and plenty of chairs to lounge on. The rooms were very comfortable and clean. We had a very nice ocean view at the North Tower. Service was excellent and Coconuts had excellent food. Would like to see Coconuts have a smoking and non smoking section. The buffet downstairs had real good food too. Parking the car was excellent with plenty of spots and its next to the hotel. Overall a great experience and I highly recommend the hotel and I will be returning hopefully soon.

Dear David R,
Thank you for taking the time to publish your compliments. It was great to read that your family enjoyed our Olympic swimming pool. We do have one of the only diving boards in town! The Castle is truly conveniently located midtown with two blocks of direct oceanfront beach, and we are one of the few resorts to offer waitress service on the beach. I’m glad you enjoyed all of our amenities and dining at The Beach House Restaurant, as well as Coconuts Beach Bar. I hope you choose to stay at The Castle on your next trip to Ocean City and I do appreciate the continued patronage.
Sincerely, Adam L. Showell, Sr. Owner
Barnegat, New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013 via mobile

Let me start by saying I love Castle in the Sand! The location is perfect, I love Coconuts and the pool! We've been coming for about 10 years, skipping one every now and then. My only complaint in the past was the crowd along the beach path at happy hour. This hasn't changed, you have to wind your way through a crowd of drunk people and dodge their lit cigarettes to get through and no one even attempts to move. Having kids, it bothers me that they have to do this. My husband and I also noticed that alot if rooms were rented by kids, drinking alot, cursing, etc. we come here because it was always very family oriented. Now I feel like the minority. Our room upon check in was relatively clean though I found dirty used band aids on the rug. Our room was never really cleaned. One afternoon when we came back from the beach our covers were pulled up on the bed, but the pillows were still smushed down like it was when we got up and one pillow fluffed and put on top so we might not notice....we did! Our tub wasn't cleaned, rug not vacuumed 2 days out of 5. The rooms could use some updating. There was paint peeling in the bathroom and mold on the bathroom ceiling. Our waiter and food at Coconuts was awesome! I really wish this place was like it was years ago....

Dear "mrsdeg63",
First let me thank you for your continued patronage of The Castle in the Sand. I am glad you enjoy the perfect location, Coconuts, and the Olympic swimming pool. I want you to know that I do take guest comments seriously and apologize for your housekeeping experience. Be assured it will be addressed with management and housekeeping staff. As you know from staying with us before, this is not usual nor is it acceptable. We have to rely on seasonal help as do all Ocean City businesses and we do strive to provide clean, comfortable, affordable accommodations for all guests. We will also take serious note of your comments about the path from Coconuts to the beach. There are several paths from The Castle to the beach and we will consider your comments when we plan for our annual renovations. I hope you will return to The Castle again. Please feel free to contact our General Manager, Bob Borello, with any concerns you may have.
Frederick, Maryland, United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2013

Had a terrible first experience at Coconuts this past Wed. Your manager "Joe" felt the need to kick out my 73 year old father for using a curse word after he was inquiring as to why Joe (unknown to us) just strolled by our table and snatched his menu from our table without a word said to us. Then when my husband and I complained about his NON-Customer service Joe proceeded to say how great he is at customer service and how many awards he wins every year. Then Joe proceeded to tell me and my husband if we didn't like it then maybe this was not a place for us to be either. We left. What customer would ever want to feel "less important" then JOE, the customer service worker of the year (which he is not) The 3 of us have written over 100 of these reviews on Coconuts all over the internet. We complained to another manager and the GM there but to no avail, other than sorry. Being in the CS Field for over 30 years this place displayed horrible CS skills. Never see my money there again and we go 2-3 times a year to OC. The TAPHOUSE on the other hand was most awesome and care about their customers and showed it.

p.s. Coconuts bartenders however were awesome and explained to me THERE ARE NO awards given out, so apparently that was just make believe world for JOE

Dear "rj007red",
I am sorry you didn’t have a good time at Coconuts, our popular tropical beachfront restaurant. We have a new menu for this season that has been met with many compliments from our guests. Our new crush bar has been a big hit, as we serve fresh squeezed fruit drinks. Our Crush Bar does have shorter hours than Coconuts’ regular bar. Therefore, our staff does remove the Crush Bar menu from the tables in a timely fashion. We strive to maintain an atmosphere acceptable to all of our clientele and therefore we politely react to guests who are loudly disruptive and/or use profane language that offends others.
Fairfax, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2013

Spent 7 nights at Castles love this place been coming here 5 years now! Clean our maid Carol was awsome! Great staff Mila and Maria servers were awsome! Always stay at the north castles suites oceanfront views can"t beat them!! Always a great time! Only sad thing is I had to leave! Will be back! Cannot wait!!!

Room Tip: Go Oceanfront!!!! Only way to go!!!!