We recently spent a few nights at this hotel. We had a mini-suite on the ground floor of the south building. The location was convenient to everything. Outside one door was close parking and the huge pool. Outside the other was the patio leading to the bar/grill area and beach. The Beach House restaurant, the Ice Cream shop, and the gift shop were also mere steps away. There was live music in the bar/grill area (Coconuts) every day at both lunch and dinnertime. The pool was clean and had a true deep end with a diving board. The fact that Coconuts serves food and beverages at the beach and pool made us feel like we were at a resort instead of just a hotel. Service from Coconuts was extremely slow (so much so that one time I left the pool area to track down our waitress so we could close out our bill), so that's one thing that could be improved, but we recognize life is a slower pace at the beach in general, too, so it was just a minor irritation.
The room seemed to have a good bit of wear on it (some peeling paint, chips & scratches in the kitchen counter, etc), but was clean and neat. It's not a fancy Hilton or Marriott-type, but it was perfectly fine for a beach vacation. No need for fancy when you're wearing flip-flops, anyway! I had been warned ahead of time that my room location might be noisy, due to the nearness of the bar/grill and pool, and yes, it was a bit noisy, but things quieted down by midnight each night. I could also hear the family in the room above ours walking around. The air conditioning was downright awesome, though. Hard to believe a wall unit like that can keep the room so cold, but it did so well that we ended up raising the temperature a little (because it got too cold!). We were able to walk to the north end of the Boardwalk with ease. There is also a bus stop one street over from the hotel, and it only costs a dollar to ride ($3 for off/on all day), so that was convenient as well.
The beach was not crowded at all (especially when we compared it to the beaches we saw in front of the Boardwalk hotels), and even though the hotel was completely full part of the time we were there, we didn't encounter crowds at the pool or restaurant, either.
For those with younger kids, there are a lot of kids activities every day. (Another thing that made it feel resort-like)
Someone else mentioned this, but just a heads up that a $10 cash key deposit is required at check-in and refunded at check-out, so make sure you arrive with a little cash on hand.
We were very happy with our visit and are already talking about plans for a short return trip.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Premiere direct oceanfront family resort with desirable location on two blocks sun-kissed beach. Guest amenities include free wireless internet, Olympic pool with diving board, sand volleyball court, beach equipment rentals on-site, free kid’s activities, and live entertainment daily in season. Beach House dining offers a la carte breakfast and buffet breakfast daily. Coconuts Beach Bar offers open-air beachfront patio dining. Waitress service on our beach and pool deck. Take A Dip Ice Cream Shop open Memorial Day thru Labor Day. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Travelocity and Odigeo so you can book your Castle in the Sand Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Castle In The Sand Hotel Ocean City
- Castle In The Sand Ocean City Md