“Can't give it an excellent rating” 4 of 5 stars

Grand Hotel & Spa
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   2100 Baltimore Avenue, Ocean City, MD 21842   |
Ranked #37 of 108 Hotels in Ocean City
Baltimore, Maryland
“Can't give it an excellent rating”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2014

Can't give this hotel an excellent rating even though it has a lot of excellent features.housekeeping was excellent and very helpful .The hotel staff was friendly and efficient.Location is great . Everything you need is at this hotel.24 hour coffee shop in the lobby ,ice cream shop,jewelry store ,boutiques,bar all in the lower level.There seemed to be plenty of parking , especially the handicapped spots. However,the bathroom is extremely small,the queen sized beds were quite uncomfortable,the safe was hard to use (had to keep playing with the buttons to get it to open or lock) Ice machines are on even numbered floors and the vending machines are on odd numbered floors.Neither the Coke machine or the vending machine on our floor worked and the ice machines on the floors above and below us were out of order..The so-called private balcony isn't so private when I saw 3 adults on my balcony coming from the next room to go to their friends room on the other side of my room.The only thing separating the balconies is some railing but, if a person is thin enough (as these 3 were ) you can squeeze through the bars.I really think the rooms are overpriced for what you get.If i stayed there again I would make sure I kept the door to the balcony locked .

Ty T, Manager at Grand Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, July 31, 2014
I'd like to thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. I am so sorry to hear of the problems you encountered during your stay with us. I will be sure to let our engineering department know about the ice machines and have them repaired immediately. Apart from that, I am glad to hear that you enjoyed what the Grand Hotel & Spa has to offer. I assure you that the things you mentioned will be addressed immediately and I hope none of these issues will deter you from staying with us in the future.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (287)
Rochester, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2014

Hotel staff friendly. They quickly accommodated a room change per our request. Initial room was on 2nd floor where patio is level with roof surface. Seagulls continually swarming our patio due to guests from upper floors throwing food scraps to feed them. The hotel should place signage on upper floor balconies instructing not to feed the gulls. This would improve general cleanliness as well. Hotel is in great location. Quiet part of boardwalk. Amenities are nice and hotel is in generally good condition. We especially liked the pizza restaurant in the hotel. Recommend the breakfast pizza for an economical family breakfast. Rooms in good shape except for some peeling wallpaper and minor needed maintenance. Cleaning could be much better. Garbage from previous guests under beds, corners and baseboard areas were very dirty. It's a poor first impression with an easy fix that would mean few extra minutes of cleaning at best. Backup toilet paper (this is really bad) nor shampoo replacement was not provided on separate nights. I dont think the toilet bowl was cleaned. This is easy checklist stuff. Cleaning staff needs to be trained better and provided with better process to ensure a quality job, Seems they spent a lot of time in the room cleaning but with poor results.

Room Tip: 2nd floor was poor view and seagulls everywhere. We were moved to 5th flor (505) which technically w...
Ty T, Manager at Grand Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, August 1, 2014
Thank you for your kind words. We are constantly updating, renovating our rooms and surrounding areas. I appreciate your feedback and those issues will definitely taken care so no other guest would have the same problem in the future. Hope to see you again soon!
Canton, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2014

TORI in reservations is a perfect example of why hotels such as the Grand have such an outstanding reputation. She expedited my reservation promptly and efficiently and kept a strong focus on customer service and meeting the needs of my family and I for our vacation. I would like to applaud her for going above and beyond to take the time to listen to my questions. Her attention to detail is one of the many reasons that I give Grand Hotel and Spa an EXCELLENT rating.

Ty T, Manager at Grand Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, August 1, 2014
Thank you for such a positive review! I am very happy to hear that you were impressed with the service you received from Tori. She is a valued team member, and has been rewarded for having provided you with exceptional customer service. Thank you for going out of your way to mention her. I hope you stay with us again in the future!
Limerick, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2014

We just got back from a mini vacation at the Grand Hotel in O.C. Maryland. Nice place to stay. The room we stayed in was clean . The staff was very friendly. The hotel is located on the boardwalk and in a nice beach area with lifeguards on duty if you decide on the beach.

Room Tip: Ask for a quiet room with the veiw of the ocean.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Ty T, Manager at Grand Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, July 25, 2014
I greatly appreciate your feedback and am pleased to hear that you made the most of your brief stay with us and enjoyed our great location right on the boardwalk. We hope to welcome you back soon!
Raleigh, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2014

This was our first time at this hotel. We arrived early about noon and very helpful person at the front desk checked us in and said she would call when our room was ready. She called less than an hour later. The room was spacious and very clean. The beds were comfortable and we loved having a refrigerator and mini-kitchen in the room. The room had a lovely view of the ocean and boardwalk, and I was surprised at how quiet the room was with the balcony door closed. The location is perfect. Everything is very close and walkable. The pool is very nice even though it faces the busy street and we really liked the pool bar. The lobby coffee shop is open 24 hours so you can get a cup of coffee to watch the sunrise. We enjoyed our stay and will likely return.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends
Ty T, Manager at Grand Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, July 25, 2014
I am thrilled to hear about your experience with us! I'm glad you were able to check you in, even before check-in time. I'd like to thank you for mentioning a few of our great amenities, proudly included in every room. You were very right when you noted the 24 hour coffee shop, and how nice it is to sit on the boardwalk with that cup of coffee and watch the sunrise. Again, thank you for your kind words, and we hope you will return soon.
CH,PA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2014 via mobile

We stay at this hotel every year. It is an amazing location for the money. It is starting to show it's age in areas but compared to other similar hotels you won't find one with as much to offer; beach front, ocean views, right on the boardwalk but away from the insanity. We like to walk to the other end but the tram runs right past the hotel. The staff is super accommodating and housekeeping does their job well.

• Stayed July 2014
Ty T, Manager at Grand Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, July 25, 2014
I appreciate you taking the time to review the Grand Hotel & Spa. We are always striving to make various upgrades to our facility and amenities with new things happening every single day. I am glad you made mention to our location on the boardwalk and how quiet it is and not quite as rowdy. I always tell guests "we're far enough away, but close enough to". I'm very happy to hear that we provided you with quality customer service and housekeeping staff. Through rigorous training and quality control, we're able to offer our guests the service they deserve. Thank you for your review, and we hope to welcome you back soon.
Bloomfield, New Jersey
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2014

Everything was a mess since we booked,staff that is temporary and not trained, trained only to lie. Still waiting for the manager Brian to refund the money for the safe that I didn't use.Although I was told that it was only $1.57 a day x 6 days!!!! that's still almost $10.00!!! but the ''kid'' at the front desk that joked about it didn't want to take it out of his pocket.And of course there was no manager around as usual.I ca;;ed the hotel several times to talk to Brian,but he's never around!!!??? I've contacted the owners of this hotel and I'm still waiting for a response.See elbee2013 review

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Ty T, Manager at Grand Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, July 25, 2014
Thank you for bringing this to our attention. I am upset to hear that you had to endure an unpleasant situation. The daily charge of $1.59 is added to your bill for the use of the in-room safe, also covering you for up to $10,000.00 for your items in the safe should something happen. This charge is refunded if you mention that you did not use the safe. I cannot speak to what happened at your check-out, but I will be more than happy to bring resolution to this situation. Please respond to my private message so I can get your contact information.

Been to Grand Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!